? Advice/input on dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by BellaBlue82, Jul 22, 2021.

1. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi folks!

So I've been trying to understand Nico's numbers, and sadly sometimes they seem all over the place. He had a bad reaction to Vetsulin, switched to Prozinc, had some really good days but also some high ones. We're also dealing with nausea and UTI, he started Clavamox two days ago.

I've been reading on some of the past posts that he may be high because we haven't found his "breakthrough" point yet dosage wise. I test for ketones almost daily, and none found (knock on wood.)

I'm wondering if I should wait until his antibiotics are done before increasing his dose, or should I accommodate for right now and go ahead with the increase? He's not horribly high, but I just want to do what's right for my lovebug. ❤️

I appreciate any feedback!

Bella and Nico

2. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I'm so sorry no replies yet. The Prozinc ISG can be really quiet at times. If you ever need immediate or time sensitive help I recommend posting in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main) forum to get more eyes on your post.

Can you update your spreadsheet pretty please. And would really love to see some PM cycle tests, you're missing half your data. Even if it's only a before bed test it can help show us what's going. Many cats drop lower at night.

I wouldn't increase just yet. He's bouncing from that blue 123 BG reading he got during the 07/21 AM cycle. Bounces can take from 3 to 6 cycles to clear.

From Prozinc Dosing SLGS dosing method about increasing the dose:

If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

3. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Shelly, I appreciate your response! No worries, not really an urgent issue just more out of curiosity.
    I've been working very early shifts so testing in PM is a little rough, but I am doing some PM checks this weekend while I'm off. Just updated for yesterday and today.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  4. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I know! Testing in the PM cycle is rough as it is, never mind working with a tough schedule. We don't mean to bug, just prod a little to remind you to get those tests when you can :)

I agree with what @JanetNJ said in your other thread (UTI causing bouncing?) to hold this dose for a few more days while we see what the new antibiotic does to clear the UTI and especially since you seen that lovely blue BG reading of 123 the other day!

5. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Ok thanks so much! Still learning, but trying my best to stay educated and stay calm lol. I was very happy to see some blues too. :smuggrin:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll show some better numbers in a few days. He's already doing better on the Prozinc, acting more himself which just warms my heart.

Shelley & Jess likes this.