Advice on numbers

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by C Dwyer, Mar 13, 2022.

1. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

Can someone look at Teddybears chart? What am i doing wrong?
    He is on prozinc. He eats fancy feast (approx 2 cans) and dr elseys (1/8 cup or less). He free feeds, food removed approx 2 hrs before bg check.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi there, it says I don't have access to spreadsheet. Be sure the settings are that anyone with the link can view

3. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

I think i fixed it

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

How long has he been on ProZinc?

Given those sub-90s, you need to reduce by 0.25U - so new dose is 1.75U.

Even though he free feeds, does he have any semblance of a routine with his eating?

5. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

He's been on prozinc since june 2021. I feed him at 5am, about 12, 5 pm and around 8:30. He gets "soup" (about a tbsp of baby food mxed with about 1/4 cup water) each morning. His food is usually removed 1 1/2 to 2 hours before testing. His dr elseys is given as a treat though the day and if he's not eating well

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok the only thing I can think of to try is to not feed after nadir - that shortens duration and makes numbers climb. If anything, a very small snack.

You don't have room for an increase, so your hands are a bit tied right now.

Give removing/minimizing good after nadir about 2 weeks to see how he does. If you still see the same patterns, I'd consider a switch to a depot insulin like Lantus or semglee

C Dwyer likes this.
  7. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

Is it safe to skip evening shots or should i give a small amount

8. Lmiller86

Lmiller86 Member

1. Here's from the "Prozinc Basics" sticky:
      • The proper sequence for dosing insulin is: Test/Feed/Shoot. In the beginning, if your cat’s BG is not up to at least 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}, if your schedule allows, you can stall (without feeding) for 20+minutes, then retest the BG. You are looking for a number that is rising, not falling and up to 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}. If you stall once, but can’t do another round of stalling and your cat hasn’t reached a BG of 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}, you’ll need to skip the dose and wait until the next cycle. NOTE: Because pet-specific meters (such as the AlphaTrak2) often read higher than human meters, you may want to adjust the NO-SHOOT number to 225 mg/dL {12.5 mmol/L} or even 250 mg/dL {14 mmol/L} This gives you an added margin of safety when using an AlphaTrak2 or other pet-specific meter.

• And from the dosing sticky:
    2. Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?

A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
      • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
      • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
        • a.) give nothing
        • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
        • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
      • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.

C Dwyer likes this.
  9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would give 0.75U if you have hypo kit and can monitor. You can see the 0.5U the other night wasn't quite enough. Also, remember to reduce tomorrow mornings dose.

C Dwyer likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

On your spreadsheet we have to go over to the 3rd row to see the spreadsheet
    Can you move that over so its the first thing that opens and label it 2022 .
    I see in the second row you do have US 2022 but there is nothing there

Also can you set up your signature for us tap in the blue link
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022