Advice on Relapse/Rising BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Hershel, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

Hello again to all the amazing people on this board who are always so quick to help out with my on again off again diabetic boy Hershel. I was last here in August during a very scary pancreatitis episode and since his recovery he has been doing amazingly well and has been OTJ since September.

After his blood glucose levels returned to normal, I've been testing him at least once per week and he has not needed insulin since then, but in the last month or so I have noticed his BG creeping upward. His behaviour, mood, appetite and litter habits have all been normal and I'm wondering what might be responsible for the increasing BG - could this be a symptom of another bout of pancreatitis, or something else? Or might his diabetes no longer be in remission and does he need to be on insulin long-term? I have reached out to my vet who has not gotten back to me and I will bring him in for an examination and tests if that is what is recommended but in the meantime I'm wondering if I should put him back on 0.5U of insulin. My spreadsheet is up to date and any advice would be so appreciated.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Amy,

That is a very marked upward trend in BG levels. I'd suggest going back to daily BG checks so that you'll have more info for your vet. I think your plan to get Hershel examined and to run diagnostic tests ASAP is very wise.. Any infection (e.g. UTI, dental/gum issue) or inflammation (e.g. pancreatitis) can knock a kitty out of remission and the sooner you can identify what's up and treat it the the better. As a general safety precaution, I'd also suggest starting to test urine daily for ketones (numbers trending upwards, not currently on insulin, potential underlying issue).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.