Advice please - Feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Teresa Flett, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Teresa Flett

Teresa Flett New Member

Hi. I'm just feeling a little downhearted at the moment, as I don't know quite how to help Blossom. I've filled in the spreadsheet this morning with the figures I have been keeping, but it all looks so bleak. Blossom is looking fairly good, and can still jump in and out of the house through my bedroom window, but I feel that I am not getting on top of the insulin dosage, and he will only deteriorate if I can't get on top of this. My vet is keen to keep adding units, but after reading all the advice on here I think that is wrong. Do I start again at a lower dose? Could someone take a look at the spreadsheet if they have time, and let me know what they think. I will start doing more testing throughout the day, and give more comments so that it will be a better picture going forward.

He's on 2.5 units of caninsulin twice a day (discussed changing insulin with the vet who isn't keen at the moment, but as I don't know what I am talking about don't feel I can fight my corner on this). He has 1 sachet of whiskas pouch wet food in jelly, and two tins of Applaws pate split between two meals.

Many thanks

Teresa

Attached Files:

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Teresa Flett likes this.
  3. Teresa Flett

Teresa Flett New Member

4. JennyB51

JennyB51 Member

My cat is on caninsulin too, 4 units of a 0.5 ml syringe...we feel this is high and she appears unregulated, we are going to try to start testing this week..

5. Teresa Flett

Teresa Flett New Member

The testing really helps see what's going on and definitely not as hard as you think it is going to be. Good luck. X

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Teresa:

A couple of thoughts...

Can you set up your spreadsheet as a Google document? Many people here do not use Excel. An Excel spreadsheet has to be downloaded on our computers and I'm quite leery of downloading material due to viruses, etc. These are the instructions for setting up your spreadsheet as a Google doc.

Having looked at Blossom's spreadsheet, the first thing that I'd suggest is that you need to bet more tests. You are using a very fast acting insulin with a short duration. Because of this, it's not surprising that you're seeing high pre-shot numbers. You need to get tests that are closer to the lowest point in the cycle (nadir) to know how low the dose is taking Blossom's numbers. Her numbers could be dropping quite low and skyrocketing back up by the next shot time.

It's also very important to always get a pre-shot test. Without testing before you give a shot, you have no way to know if it's safe to give insulin.

Please let us know if you have questions.

7. Teresa Flett

Teresa Flett New Member

Thank you