Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Missy & Tammy, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Tammy

Good job entering the values into the spreadsheet! Hope you are also testing for ketones daily?
    Missy is probably just bouncing from the lower numbers she is seeing. It will take a week for the Lantus depot to build.

Have you been able to think about what dosing protocol will work for you?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It takes 5-7 days of consistent dosing before you will see the total effect of the starting dose. Lantus is a depot insulin...that means the "depot" has to fill up first so it can "release" enough back into the body to equal the starting dose.

It's totally normal for the blood glucose to be all over the place too. It was a good 5-6 months before China started to develop a pattern.

5. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

Hi again, thanks for your message. I did read about the dosing protocol and I honestly don’t know which one to do. I feel uneducated to make that decision.
    Also for the ketones can I use a blood meter? I would easily be able to get a blood reading from her. Urine would be another story. I also spoke to her vet because she was in ER other day for blood ketones 5.7. I was discussing that all with him and he told me no one tests blood ketones in cats. What’s your thoughts? Like I had mentioned I’m losing faith in my vet these days.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You can use a blood meter to test for ketones. The basic difference between the two methods is with SLGS you reduce if the bg falls under 90 but with TR under 50. You need to test more with TR but it also has a better chance of achieving remission. You don’t need t decide right away. Let the depot build and keep testing for now. There’s a lot to absorb. Take your time. Ask questions.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A couple posts for you, with recommendations on blood ketone meter: Ketones, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and Blood Ketone Meters and
    Ketones, Ketoacidosis, and Diabetic Cats: A Primer on Ketones
    Since you have a cat who has recently had ketones, you absolutely should be testing for them, at least once a day for a while, especially if in high numbers. Ketones can go from trace to high quite quickly - and you want to prevent a visit to the vet if you can. Anything above trace means a vet consult.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Tammy! Is this your first post?

If so, you're in the right place...if not, well Happy New Year and Welcome anyway!

I see you've been given a lot of great advice already so I won't add to that - however, when you have a chance, please update your title to show the date/cat name and AMPS - it's a standard thing around here :)

Should look like this:

1/1 Missy AMPS 259 (or whatever the number is on 1/1) although it looks like you posted this on 1/1....so perhaps it'll be for your next post. One condo aka post/thread, per day; so you may want to start a new one for today using the correct title format.

Have a great day!