After a week of Clavamox, she doesn’t want to eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Camcat, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi All, wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and or any guidance.
    My sweet girl Cam had an infected toenail and has been on a week of Clavamox. About two days ago (five days in), she started not wanting to eat. She is hungry, and wants food. But then she will take a few bites and walk away (she is normally extremely food motivated and gobbles down her food). She is drinking water (maybe a little less than usual). She is purring, preening, peeing. She has had a small amount of mushy poop. She started vomiting a little today. I have reduced her insulin because she was eating less (but also because she was in a bounce). I checked for ketones today (normal, blood monitor).

I thought at first it was maybe some constipation, so I have been adding Fortiflora to her food. But I’m worried that it might be pancreatitis. I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow to check her bloodwork, but just wanted to see if anyone had some insight before then (to help me be more informed, and maybe ease my mind).

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Some cats can go off their food when they are in antibiotics. It is not unusual.
    I’m glad you are taking her to the vet tomorrow to be checked over. it could just be the antibiotics.

Get them to do a fPL to check for pancreatitis if you are concerned.
    Try and get her to eat something if you can as it’s important that cats eat.
    It does sound as if she could be nauseated if she is taking a few bites then walking away.
    Ask the vet to give you some cerenia tablets to bring home with you if he thinks it is nausea. Always good to have some at home.

please let us know how you get on at the vet. Sending vines

Diane Tyler's Mom and Camcat like this.
  3. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thank you @Bron and Sheba (GA). Today is her first day off the antibiotics. Do you know how long it takes for them to feel better after a course of antibiotics?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If it’s just the antibiotic that is causing the problem, she should start to feel better quickly I would think. If she continues to refuse food it could be a flare up of pancreatitis or something else.

Camcat likes this.
  5. Camcat

Camcat Member

That’s what I thought, too. Thank you again for your help. I’ll update soon.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I meant to mention also that it was excellent you tested for ketones and it was negative. Always good to know that!

Camcat likes this.
  7. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thank you. This board has really helped me know what to do / check. I would be absolutely lost without it.

8. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Agree with Bron and Sheba. Good to get your furbaby checked, but the antibiotics themselves can make a kitty nauseous. Heck, they make me nauseated too. When a cat is nauseous, they just don't eat. And it can take a few days, depending on the particular antibiotic, to completely work it's way out of the system. If it's nausea, that cerenia will really help.

Camcat likes this.
  9. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thanks @Juls and Billy! I’m happy to report that as the night has gone on, she’s getting more an appetite! I’m thinking it’s probably just the antibiotics.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  10. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

So glad she's eating better! That's very good news indeed!

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Glad to hear she's eating more!

Camcat likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Antibiotics can kill off the good tummy flora. Adding a good probiotic, a couple hours apart from the antibiotic, can help. I don’t consider FortiFlora a good probiotic, it is just a single strain of probiotics. This page has a description of probiotics for cats.

Camcat and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  13. Camcat

Camcat Member

Well. She was eating better. But she's been vomiting through the night and this morning. She seems hungry and thirsty, but then only eats a few bites. Her BG is 444, which is high, so I want to give her some insulin, but just a small dose since she can't keep much down. Going to the vet!

14. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Glad you're going to the vet. I'm hoping some nausea medication is all she needs.

Camcat likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Make sure you ask for some anti nausea medicine. She is showing classic signs,

Camcat likes this.
  16. Camcat

Camcat Member

Update:
    Hi all, thanks for your comments and suggestions. The vet thinks it's pancreatitis. Have anti-nausea, pain meds, and she got a subq fluids. She seems to be feeling much better already, though still not sure about food.

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That's good. Sheba used to perk up after SubQ fluids and some antinausea meds.
    I hope she eats for you

18. Camcat

Camcat Member

Update: I forgot to mention -- ran blood panel on her, results in lab work tab in SS -- and she had normal values for everything else (liver, kidneys, etc), and confirmed no ketones. I was reviewing it again this morning, and noticed low platelets. She had it this in Oct on her last blood work too. Vet didn't say anything about it. Will start a new thread to ask about this. From internet research -- could be pancreatitis, or something even scarier (cancer).

Also, she vomited again this morning, and was very hungry but didn't want to eat anything -- refusing smorgasboard. I popped out and got some FF tuna feast in gravy and she ate it!!!!! I am so happy!!!! I know gravy foods are higher in carbs, and not great, but I'm just so happy that she's eating. Will try to transition her back over to the FF pates.

19. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I believe low platelets are usually the result of clumping and nothing to worry about, but hopefully someone else can confirm.

Excellent that you found something she will eat! Of course low carb is best, but bad food is better than no food until she starts feeling better. During Sophie’s last pancreatitis flare up, she would only eat tuna and forbidden dry kibble, so that’s what she got :rolleyes: Hopefully Cam starts feeling better soon!

Camcat likes this.
  20. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The platelets in cat blood tend to clump together and thus can't mec machine counted. The solutions is for some blood to be examined under a microscope. This is what wan on the BW results fro my Badger:
    Low Platelets.jpg

The 190 and 178 were the platelet counts for his previous two BW results

Camcat likes this.
  21. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thank you @Sarah&Soph and @Larry and Kitties this helps. Cam's was 132 in Oct and 111 yesterday. I'm relieved to hear your experiences and that it's typically due to testing difficulties (phew!).

Sarah&Soph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.