After being away numbers are now almost 400

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    We were away for about a week. We had a cat sitter and she was unable to give Nudi his morning dose the first day we were away. After that she was able to give him his regular dose at the time needed however, his sugar the whole time we were away was in the mid and high 300's. This morning it was up at 386. Before we went away he was always in the 200's. You can tell he really doesn't feel well at all. He was getting a 1.25 dose but I upped it to 1.5 this morning. I'm not sure what happened when we went away. I'm hoping increasing the dose to 1.5 was the right thing to do but he just looks so sick I wanted to try and get his sugar down. I'll give him the same 1.5 going forward and hopefully this increase is enough to get him back down into the 200's. Thank you so much for any input!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Is it possible that he has something going on like a UTI or dental issue? Or, could his arthritis be hurting him? Also, there are a lot of empty pre-shot test result spots.. not sure of the reason behind that... so maybe he has had higher pre-shot numbers before, and you just were not aware.

3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you. It could be his arthritis hurting him. I didn't know that could make his sugar go up? He also has one not great tooth but the vet at previous visits said it was ok. Maybe that is acting up now? I always take the blood sugar levels but I am not always great about putting them in the chart! I know he has been in the 200's for a while now. I can also tell by how he feels if its high or not and he was doing great before we left. I wonder if it is his arthritis? Not sure what to do about that if it is. I was thinking about trying CBD oil for his arthritis and maybe even his diabetes. A friend recommended but I have not done any research so far. I feel so bad for my poor boy.

4. FurBabiesMama

If they have pain or infection, it can definitely raise their glucose.

5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

And to chime in... the stress of you being gone can effect that too. I see it with Little when I’m gone more than a day or 2

6. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you. Do you think the BG will settle back down now that we're back?

7. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ohhh ok thank you both the stress and arthritis could be effecting it. Not sure what to do from here? Maybe I should bring him into the vet?

8. FurBabiesMama

If it is obvious to you that he is not feeling well, and you continue to see higher than usual numbers to back up that something is off, you may want to get him in to see the vet.

9. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I agree. If you see visible signs then that’s a whole different story. Try to get some mid cycle tests now that your home to see where he’s at.

10. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Yes I will bring him to the vet tomorrow. At plus 9 he's at 372. This is so high for him and he just feels so crummy. Does anyone know if it's dangerous for him to be this high? He's never been so close to 400 before and he's been high for about a week. Does anyone know if this is dangerous and if I should take him to the vet tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow? Thank you so much.

11. FurBabiesMama

Just running a bit high for a short period of time is not an emergency situation, but has he had any issues with ketones/DKA in the past? Do you have a way to check ketones (blood meter or urine sticks)? Is he eating okay?

How old is the vial of insulin you are using?

12. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you so much. Tonight it just went up to 384. Good question about the insulin. I have a brand new bottle that I have been saving until we use up the old bottle (it says it expires 01/20) but I will use the new bottle tonight instead just in case! That would be great if that's all it is! I haven't checked keynotes/DKA for him as he pees outside and really hates using the litter pan inside. Maybe the vet could check for this? He has been eating ok. Thank you again.

13. FurBabiesMama

I suggest you make a note on your spreadsheet when you start using a new vial of insulin. The expiration date on the vial is the expiration date if it was unopened. Those dates can be a few years out. Once you open and start using a vial, that expiration date does not apply. You can use a vial for several months, but there comes a point where it looses effectiveness.

14. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok I will do that. I didn’t know that. I just updated my sheet. Thanks so much!