Alfie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jen and Alfie, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Alfie has been really sleepy for the last two days. I first thought it might just be he was worn out after stopping bouncing so badly.

He stopped begging for food (he was constantly hungry) and even left a bit of food in his bowl at meal times which is unheard of since he was diagnosed.

Tonight he's really sleepy, totally flat out but still responsive, able to walk etc. But he didn't have any interest in his food this evening. I've not seen him pee all day so haven't been able to test for ketones.

The vet hospital says if we can't get a test in another hour then call them back and they'll probably want him brought in.

If he has ketones, I'm not sure why he's chosen now! His numbers are still high but have been more stable the last couple of days at a lower level than he's had for more than a week!

Will keep you all updated.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Keep us in the loop, Jen. :bighug:

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Any update, Jen? Hoping he's doing fine now!

5. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He didn't have a pee so we took him to the vet hospital (at 10pm here). He gets really vicious at the vets so they didn't want to really stress him out by trying to wrestle him for a blood sample.

So they advised to come home and wait for a urine sample. Which he finally did an hour and a half later! He tested positive so we rushed him back in.

They've sedated him and are going to get fluids into him and take bloods etc to check if he's acidotic.

For now we just have to wait and see (and try and get some sleep!). Please all send him your positive thoughts and prayers!

6. Kris & Teasel

Was his ketone reading (on a strip or with a meter?) high? He's in the best place right now and getting treatment quickly is best so this can be nipped in the bud.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Jen I'm so sorry to hear that. He's absolutely where he needs to be right now and they'll take excellent care of him. As you know, we've had a few DKA kitties lately who have gotten treatment at the vet and are now home, doing well. So Alfie can do the same!!

Sending all the healing vines I can. Keep us posted.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Healing vines being sent to Alfie.

9. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He tested moderate on a strip at home, I don't know what reading the hospital got. I've just spoken to them, he is acidotic. They gave him fluids to rehydrate him and he's now on a glucose and insulin infusion.

They've had trouble getting BG readings as he's so feisty (which is good in one way I suppose!), but his last test was 13.2 about four hours ago so he's going the right way.

I suspect they'll have to sedate him again to test him later. I'm just glad he's made it through the night. Now we just have to wait and hope the medicine does it's stuff.

Thank you for all the positive vibes. I will keep you updated :bighug:

10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh no. I'm so sorry, he's definitely in the best place and it sounds positive. Sending prayers and hugs :bighug::bighug:

11. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Update:

He's doing ok. They've managed to get blood out of him this morning now they've found a vet nurse who can handle him! His blood sugar is higher this morning (16.5) so they've reduced the concentration of his glucose so his insulin will have more effect. He's also getting potassium.

In good news, he's still being feisty! And his ketone test this morning just showed a lesser amount than last night (+ rather than ++). And his pH was 7 yesterday and today it's 7.23 so he's going in the right direction. They're going to keep monitoring him and tweaking things through the day to get his sugar down. He's in the best place so we just have to give him time and keep everything crossed.

12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Good news! :):)

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you got him to the hospital.
    If you can visit him and bring him something that smells like home or you, like a pillowcase or old T shirt, that will calm him a bit.

14. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I don't know if they'll let us visit. On one hand I want to because I want to see him but I'm not sure if us visiting and then leaving him there on his own again will be worse than him not seeing us! He does have something from home with him but I doubt it's providing much comfort. He's not too bad as long as people aren't trying to handle him, so I hope he's mainly just sleeping and letting the drugs do their work :(

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm sure that he is resting and letting the meds get him feeling better, Jen. Just being able to smell something that smells like home will be good for him.

I think YOU will feel better if you get to visit him. I really think he will too...he'll see you and spend some time with you and you can see with your own eyes how he is. He might be a bit sad when you leave, but he knows you will come back for him. And he really is in the best place for him right now. If the vet will allow you to come by and see him, I would.

Please come here and vent/cry/whatever you need. That's what we're here for. And heck, I've done it tons and tons of times. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Kris & Teasel

Teasel spent three days in the vet clinic ER ICU when he had a bout of DKA back in 2016. I visited him every day and he seemed to enjoy seeing me. It tore my heart out to see him tethered to an IV line but I tried not to focus on that. He got through it and spent at least 2 - 3 weeks at home afterward slowly regaining his strength. It was a very expensive hospital stay but worth every penny to me. I was glad that I was able to do it. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

That's very true, I would feel a LOT better for seeing him! The hospital will be calling with another update later, I'll ask them if they'll let us visit tonight. I know he's in the best place and they're doing everything they can. There wasn't much sleep and plenty of tears in our house last night. Today we're just trying to get through work, but the distraction of work is better than sitting at home I guess!

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Your experience is probably different than mine. My kitty spent almost 9 days in a hospital an hour and a half away from my house. I LIVED to go see him for our 20 minute visit each day. J.D. was in critical condition with DKA when he was admitted, and everyday he got just a little teeny bit better. On the 4th day, they had changed him to a lower cage, and I was able to sit on the floor outside his cage and talk to him and asked if I could open the door, and he got up weakly and and crawled into my lap with a tube attached to each leg. On the 5th day, he saw me and practically jumped into my lap. I know he was happy to see me and I him, and I think it helped the staff know he was getting better to see him do that.

Tell him you are just there to visit and give him love and healing wishes, and will be back tomorrow. Cats are smart.

Jen and Alfie likes this.
  19. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Jen, sorry to hear about Alfie being DKA but it sounds like he is showing good signs and in good care :). Sounds like you caught it early too. Sending healing vines to Alfie [​IMG]:cat: and hugs to you:bighug::bighug::bighug:!

20. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We're lucky that the hospital is only 10 minutes away, so will definitely visit tonight if they let us, I'd love to see him. And I'm sure your right that it will do his good to see and hear us. It's also good for the staff trying to care for him to see that he's not a mad tiger all the time! I'm hoping he'll be calm with us because he'll be pleased to see us (though he normally tries to take chunks out of us too at the vets, he's not fussy! o_O)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  21. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Called the hospital late this afternoon to chase an update a couple of hours ago and they said we were welcome to visit but the vet that's been treating him couldn't speak to us as they'd had a few emergencies come in.

Then an hour later got a call back from someone to say as he's very poorly and there having trouble stabilising him, as well as having a few emergency cases in, they'd rather we didn't visit.

I'm now waiting for a call back from the vet with an update and am obviously getting frantic! It's 7:30pm here and they're approaching their shift change for the evening.

Will give it another ten minutes and chase again. I felt quite positive after speaking to the vet this morning, but that's starting to disappear!

22. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe they got confused on which kitty you were asking about since they had a few other emergencies come in. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Thanks Yong, I hope you're right. I've chased again but still haven't been able to speak to anyone. I've been promised the vet will call me ack before she goes off shift. I hope so, otherwise we're in for another sleepless night.

24. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Just spoke to the vet. They're having a hard time getting his sugar down (surprise surprise!). He was at 28 in the middle of the day, now at around 18.

He's not eating. His pH is 7.25, I don't know if that's good or bad but it's better than 7 which it was last night. I don't know what to expect at this point. They aren't willing to give any sort of prognosis.

They've just managed to get a decent sized blood sample so will be running lots more tests tonight. So we're about to go to bed as we're exhausted and are just praying he's still with us in the morning.

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Positive thoughts. Fight Alfie. And Prayers.

26. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Love & Prayers sent to you all. Will be waiting to hear how it goes tonight. :bighug::bighug:

27. Kris & Teasel

Sending all my best to you and Alfie. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sending you guys good thoughts and healing vines for Alfie. Come on Alfie, you can beat this!

29. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He'e made it through the night, phew! I spoke to the night vet at 7am. They've had three blood sugar readings in a row under 10 which is great news. I just hope he stays that way during the day when things get busier and more stressful in the hospital. He's only showing a trace of ketones at their last urine check.

I'll know more when I get to speak to the vet treating him once the day shift starts and will post another update. We're keeping everything crossed here. Thank you for all the hugs and healing vines! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Great news! Keep going Alfie! :cat: I know you can do it! :bighug: Be good for your Mummy and get well soon.

srk4cats likes this.
  31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That's amazing news!!! Go Alfie!

srk4cats likes this.
  32. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes. Keep getting better, Alfie. :cat:

srk4cats likes this.
  33. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Update from speaking to the vet this morning:

She's happy with how he's been doing overnight but his sugar has gone up a bit this morning (16). They're going to try switching him back to Prozinc, rather than intravenous insulin, starting with 1.5u. He had no ketones in his urine at their last check which is great news. She says he seems a bit brighter and she's going to try him on some food (cue a long discussion about what and doesn't spike his BG food wise. She's going to try a Royal Canin diabetes wet food that's probably higher carb than I'd like but some food is better than none as he's not eaten for nearly 48 hours).

They've done some tests, his kidneys are fine, liver is slightly bad but she said that's expected in diabetics and his CK(?) is high but that's because he's so stressed. If he keeps improving they're going to start testing for any underlying problems like pancreatitis, UTI's etc tomorrow, but that involves sedating him again so she obviosuly wants him a bit stronger before then.

I've been asked to call back in a few hours and she'll decide if we're allowed to visit him tonight then. Keep those healing vines coming everyone! :bighug:

34. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for the updates, Jen. We all worry when someone's kitty is ill. I wouldn't worry about carb level in a DKA kitty. They need hydration, electrolytes, high enough carb food and enough insulin to forestall ketone development. When Teasel was in hospital for his DKA episode he was fed the version of Purina DM that's 10% carbs.

srk4cats and Jen and Alfie like this.
  35. Yong & Maury GA

Keep getting better, Alfie! [​IMG]:cat:[​IMG]:cat:[​IMG]:cat:

36. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Hope Alfie continues getting better. Keep us updated.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The vines are continuously being sent! I really hope you can visit him tonight. I think you'll BOTH be happier just seeing each other for a bit. We're here for you, Jen, if you need to cry/vent/celebrate good news/whatever!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

srk4cats likes this.
  38. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Following from the sidelines and sending more healing vines for Alfie. So relieved to hear he's improved. Hope you can visit today! I think that would make both you and Alfie feel much better! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

39. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Update from the vet. He's eaten and was really hungry which is great. He 'much preferred the dry food' according to the vet. Yeah, I bet he did, he's not had any for three months!

But his glucose reading have been 16 and 22 and his urine had traces of ketones again at the last test. :(

She's let me drop in some of his usual food (Sheba fine flakes) and is willing to try it but isn't wild about it as it's not great quality.

And as he's been so much better with them she doesn't want us to visit in case it upsets him and makes him harder to handle. Which I understand but isn't great. I've taken one of my jumpers in that I've worn and he likes to sleep on but I'm not sure they'll let him have it because of infection control.

We just have to see if tomorrow's tests and ultrasound shed any light on why he's been so hard to regulate :(

TempestsMum likes this.
  40. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Hope he keeps getting better. I imagine the stress of the vet and not feeling well isn't helping regulate his numbers.

41. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Jen! I'm just getting caught up on all of this. I'm so sorry to hear about Alfie! Sending prayers for you both!

42. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Alfie's back on IV insulin as his BG is too high on the Prozinc and he's showing traces of ketones in his urine again. They're going ahead with the ultrasound and other tests today so he'll need to be sedated, which obviously carries risks while he's this stressed.

It's a total rollercoaster, every time we think he's doing a bit better he gets worse again. If he doesn't make it through this I can't stand the thought that this is how he's spending his last days, alone and scared being prodded and poked by strangers!

43. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Have you asked them again about trying a visit from you?
    Sending mega healing and get better vines to Alfie.

44. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We did last night, the vet didn't want us to visit as he's getting used to them and much better with them handling him. She didn't want to risk that going backwards if he saw us, which I understand. I don't want to upset him either if he's got a bit settled with them. The last thing he needs is more stress. Although obviously we are desperate to cuddle him! :arghh:

I'll wait and see if they find anything conclusive with their tests today and ask them about visiting again later. They have given him my jumper that he likes that I took in yesterday and he's sleeping on that, so that's something. He can at least smell me and home.

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Jen...I might call the vet again and let them know how upset you are and how much you NEED to see him. I know what they're saying, but honestly, I don't like it. Your mental health (not saying you're crazy, but anxiety is probably through the roof like mine would be) is very important and the vet saying they don't want you to see him just because they feel it's better seems almost cruel. You could let them know that you understand what they're saying, but at this point, you just really need to see him with your own eyes.

I hope they let you visit today AND that he's getting better. Understand that ketones can take some time to resolve and the vet is doing everything they can. I know it's upsetting to see him go backwards a bit, but the good news is that the vet caught it immediately and started the right treatment to fix it. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

TempestsMum and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  46. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Yes, I agree, I think I'm going to insist on visiting him tonight regardless. I am pretty much crazy at the minute! I know he's in the very best place. We've had no luck trying to regulate him so I know he needs proper investigation and stabilisation otherwise this will just happen again as soon as he's home.

47. MrWorfMen's Mom

I agree with Rachel. I don't think a visit from you would cause him to act any differently with the clinic staff and a visit will do both you and Alfie a world of good! Glad they let you leave your jumper but there is nothing like familiar cuddles and scritches to soothe the soul and help the healing! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

48. Kris & Teasel

We're all here sending positive healing energy to you and Alfie. I hope you can visit him today. I was very glad I was able to see Teasel when he was hospitalized for DKA. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Yong & Maury GA

I was thinking the same thing as Rachel but didn't know how to word it without anyone coming off as a crazy Mum! But that's like a doctor telling a parent they can't see their kid in the hospital. I think it might be good for him to see you guys :bighug:

50. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We've seen him!! Vet was a bit reluctant but let us come. It was such a huge relief to be able to give him fuss and kisses!! And he was happy to see us and enjoyed all the fussing :cat: We feel like huge weight has been lifted, even though he's not out of the woods.

He didn't get sedated today as they were worried about his high BG. Now he's back on IV it's coming down again (readings between 15 and 23 through the day). Plus his urine was free of ketones again. He's staying on the IV until he's had two urine tests in a row free of ketones. Then they're going to try Prozinc again. Vet has agreed to try our wet food then and not feed dry unless he won't eat anything else.

They're going to ultrasound and other tests tomorrow all being well.

We will sleep much better tonight now we've been able to kiss his little furry face! Keeping everything crossed! Thank you all for all of your support, it means a lot! :bighug:

51. MrWorfMen's Mom

fingers crossed.png and paws crossed here too! I'm sure your visit did Alfie a world of good too! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Glad you got to see him!

53. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad you got to see him! I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight (and goodness knows you can probably use some sleep with all that's been happening!).

54. Kris & Teasel

I'm so glad you got to see your boy! :)

55. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you got to visit, and Alfie might sleep better tonight too.
    Fingers have been crossed here too, for Alfie.

56. Yong & Maury GA

Yay for getting to see your baby boy! Sounds like he enjoyed it as well :bighug::cat:

57. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Bless him! I bet that helps seeing you! :)
    It could be that the dried food is holding his bg high, even the vet diets for diabetes are still high carb, so his own food should help I think as it's lower.
    Still sending prayers and hope he's home with you really soon. :bighug:

58. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

All good news this morning! He's no longer acidotic, his pH and all his electrolytes are back to normal. He had two clear urine tests. They switched him back to Prozinc early this morning and he's had another ketone free urine test since. Sugar is still around 20 but it's pretty early in his cycle. Vet is much happier with him. :cat: Finally starting to believe we might get him home.

He'll be sedated today for his ultrasound and other tests which we've been warned might make him go backwards. Fingers crossed they get to the bottom of why he's been such a bouncy bear!

PPCW, MrWorfMen's Mom, Dyana and 2 others like this.
  59. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Keeping fingers crossed!

60. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Fab news. Hope all goes well with the ultrasound. Keep us posted. :)
    Now Alfie! You keep getting better for your Mummy! :cat:

61. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed.

62. MrWorfMen's Mom

Great news! :joyful: No doubt your visit yesterday helped!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

63. Kris & Teasel

Very good news!! Your visit made him feel better. :smuggrin:

64. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Ultrasound went fine and he's doing ok. Suspected chronic pancreatitis as his pancreas 'looked irregular' but we need the blood test results to confirm which could take ten days. No other abnormalities, tumors etc. which is obviosuly good news! They got a sterile urine sample to send to check for UTI's, also due back next week. He's going to be kept on fluids overnight but can hopefully come home tomorrow! :cat: :cat: :cat:

Not sure what pancreatitis will mean for us and him in the long term if it's confirmed but just happy there's nothing else too sinister going on and he's feeling better! Another condition to start reading up on :bookworm: Also pretty nervous about the chances of another DKA in the near future, especially as we work full time so aren't there to monitor, but very excited at the thought of having him back with us!! :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  65. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

@Yong and @Teresa & Buddy have experience with pancreatitis and give you some basic info I'm sure.

Hope he comes home tomorrow!

66. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We visited last night and he was really bright and wanted lots of fuss! He had a super high preshot last night (38!) but that was after a day of sedation, poking and testing. He'd had several ketone free urine tests yesterday.

This morning, his preshot was 21 (not bad for him on prozinc (1.5u), especially when in hospital and stressed) but he had traces of ketones again. The vet is doing a mini curve today but is still hopeful we can take him home tonight. I'm so nervous about having him home with no clear idea or treatment for whatever caused this in the first place and still with traces of ketones.

The vet is insisting we feed Hill's or Royal Canin diabetic wet food which at around 16% carbs on a dry matter basis is making me twitchy. She insists she's had a large number of cats go into remission while eating them and they're fine. They've been feeding him Royal Canin yesterday and today and his preshot wasn't too bad.

We may get urine test results back today and if that shows an infection at least we'd have a place to start. What a week, I'm exhausted! :blackeye:

TempestsMum and Dyana like this.
  67. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad he is feeling much better. I know how you feel when a vet tells you one thing and swears by it and yet you know better :confused:
    If you don't already have one, it may be a good time to invest in a blood ketone meter to have for just in case.

68. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I've got keto-diastix for urine testing. Is a blood ketone meter better?

69. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The urine test strips tell you what the ketones were many hours ago and the blood ketone meter (like a glucometer) tells you what the ketones are now.
    I had one for when my cat acted off suddenly and I didn't want to (because of needing to go to sleep at night) or have the time to wait around (because of having to leave for work) for him to go pee and hoping I could catch a sample. I found it gave peace of mind. Mostly, I used the urine strips, but when I needed an instant answer that blood ketone meter came in real handy.

70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The blood ketone meter is one we suggest getting for cats that have been DKA before. As Dyana says, peace of mind...priceless!

It'll come in handy for those times that you feel he's off (like right before this episode) but hasn't peed for you to grab a test yet...then you can just get a blood test and know for sure. :bighug:

71. Kris & Teasel

I think a blood ketone meter is a good investment after all you've been through. Re higher carb food: some people on FDMB have mentioned using higher carb food in a post-DKA kitty to allow larger insulin doses to be given to keep ketones at bay.

72. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Coming home while still showing traces of ketones in his urine is my main concern at the minute, that seems like asking for trouble! :nailbiting:

I will look into blood ketone meters. Presumably any human one will do that needs a small blood sample?

73. Kris & Teasel

Yes, they're human meters and the strips are very pricey but it would give you peace of mind right now. Will your vet be giving you a clear treatment plan for Alfie at home? Was there any discussion of trying him on Lantus or Levemir to help him level out?

When Teasel came home after his episode he'd just been started on ProZinc, I wasn't told to do urine ketone testing and I wasn't tracking BG the FDMB way either. It scares me when I think back to that! :eek: I was clueless, actually, but he weathered it all.

Teasel's bouncing has calmed significantly since he's been on Lantus.

74. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We did talk about it when he had his first visit to this vet last week, before all of this happened! She thought he could be regulated on a lower dose of Prozinc than he was on, but was happy to try Lantus if not. And before this, his numbers were doing interesting things on 1u, he was less bouncy. I don't know if the missed shot by the cat sitter tipped him over the edge or it's something underlying or just a combination of reduced dose, missed shot and something else.

I'll know more what the plan is when I get an update later once he's had a curve done today. I'm sure she won't let him come home if she's not happy with his progress. I already know she's pro home testing and I'm sure she'll want us urine testing at least.

75. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Jen!
    I only had experience with a mild flare of pancreatitis but it did linger for almost a month with conservative treatment. Teresa & Buddy was a big help to me :). Fluids could help Alfie with the pancreatitis and help keeping those ketones flushing out as long as he doesn't have any heart issues. I don't think you've mentioned any with him. Big things with pancreatitis (and post DKA from my understandings :bookworm:) is to 1) Make sure he eats, so don't stress too much about the medium carb food, you'll be able to dose around it ;), 2) Pain management, the popular one is Buprenorphine (buprenex liquid form), 3) Anti nausea meds, Cerenia seems to be a popular one, 4) Acid management, Famotadine (pepcid) if needed and 5) Appetite stimulant, if needed.

So the food is important for both, not necessarily the other 4 things I mentioned :smuggrin:. As always, you can ask us anything with Alfie's recovery :bighug:. Apologies from me if I don't reply as fast as I used to. Adjusting to new schedule with working :D. Planning on checking in at least once a day though :cat:

TempestsMum and Jen and Alfie like this.
  76. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He can't come home today :(

He's got more than a trace of ketones again so understandably the vet wants to keep him in. She says he can come home over the weekend if he has 24ht without ketones.

She's determined DKA doesn't happen without some underlying cause, it just sometimes takes a while to find it. His urine tests will be back Monday so we'll know more then.

He's bright in himself, settled, eating fine and enjoying fuss. I'd rather have him stay an extra day or two for them to find out what's going on than bring him home too soon and have him go through the huge stress of being hospitalised again.

We're in our way to visit. Will give him extra chin scratches from you all! :bighug:

77. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Please do! Chin scritches and healing vines from his FDMB family!

I wonder what is causing him to throw ketones and then get rid of them repeatedly. I don't think I've seen that before (but I'm no DKA expert). @Bobbie And Bubba I know you've been through this and from what I recall Bubba threw ketones at home too...any ideas/advice?

78. Kris & Teasel

I think Bobbie was on Lantus by then and used R insulin very carefully when Bubba threw ketones. @Bobbie And Bubba ?

79. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Hi everyone

Not much to update you with today. He's still bright and enjoying lots of fuss from everyone, the vet staff think someone must have switched him from the wild cat they were treating a week ago! :cat:

He's still got ketones but only + so better than yesterday. I dropped some Hill's m/d wet food to the hospital for him earlier, warned everyone who'd listen that it might spike his BG a bit, then tonight he's produced a 5.6! Hope that helps get rid of these ketones that are hanging about!

80. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

They never could find a reason for my kitty's ketones either. But, he never got them again, so that was a good thing. I checked him often.
    Come on Alfie, flush out those ketones, and no more ketones for you too.

TempestsMum likes this.
  81. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there! I just signed in and saw I was tagged . To be honest, I did not read the whole thread as I need to get to bed because I am up early tomorrow morning to travel for my mom's 90 th BD hosted 2 hours from us.

Bubba threw ketones in the 200-250 level. He had 2 bad teeth extracted and then 6 weeks later he had his right eye removed due to cancer. Surgery can throw them into ketones. I made the mistake of letting him sit in the 200's too long while he was convalescing . Big mistakes.

Did you kitty recently have surgery? Any other systemic stress like pancreatitis or infection? How is his mouth?

Again, I am sorry I am weighting in without reading the whole post but wanted to acknowledge the tag. Keeping good thoughts for you and Alfie.

Jen and Alfie and Dyana like this.
  82. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

PS. If you are not giving Sub Q fluids, please add as much water to each of his meals that you can ( it will look soupy) the extra water is so important to help to diminish the ketones.

83. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He's still at the vet, right now, I think.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  84. Yong & Maury GA

Tell those ketones they are not welcome, Alfie! :cat:

Jen and Alfie and TempestsMum like this.
  85. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Thank you Bobbie. He's still at the hospital at the minute. He's not had any surgery and his teeth are ok. We're waiting for urine and pancreatitis tests which will be back next week but pancreatitis is suspected after an ultra sound last week.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  86. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Really hoping he feels better soon, and can go home! I'm sure you are missing him :bighug::bighug:

87. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We are missing his so much. We're visiting every day. He's turned into a little superstar at the hospital, everyone loves him.

Really hoping his tests come back today and give us some answers. He was down to just a trace of ketones again yesterday so he's going the right way.

88. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

WE CAN TAKE HIM HOME TODAY!!! :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

He showed no ketones overnight and the vet is happy enough for now with his glucose readings. He's curving between 20 and 12 but she suspects this will improve once he's less stressed at home. His pancreatic enzyme levels are normal which is good so we're just waiting on his urine culture to come back at some point today. Vet wants us to do a curve in a few days and will look at moving him on to Lantus if he's not responding as well as she'd like. She wants him curving between 5 and 8, can't even imagine numbers that good!

I'm obvious anxious about taking him home without any underlying cause for this round of DKA being diagnosed, but at this point I'm just desperate to have him back with us where he can recover! I'll be testing for ketones like a mad woman and will be getting a blood ketone meter to be on the safe side (any recommendations for a good one to get in the UK would be welcome!).

Thank you for all of your support and healing vines. It's been a crazy and extremely stressful 7 days, I don't know how I'd have coped without you all! :bighug:

PPCW, Catdaddy87, TempestsMum and 9 others like this.
  89. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Want to like this 1000 times! I'm so glad for you! Let us know how it is when you get him home!

90. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for you and Alfie. :bighug::cat:

91. Kris & Teasel

I'm very happy for you and Alfie! :bighug::) When I was using the AT meter at the beginning, my vet told me the good range was 5 to 9 so your vet's is similar. As for cause of a DKA bout, there was nothing to be found when Teasel had his. It was likely just too much time in high BGs and then removing insulin for 24 hours tipped him into DKA. You might never know if there was anything other than maybe a pancreatitis flare.

92. MrWorfMen's Mom

Delighted to hear Alfie is getting sprung! :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and mini-graphics-cats-958050.gif for Alfie!

93. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Ok, I am getting really, really tired of this game now. Just had a call from the hospital, he's back at ++ ketones so won't be coming home today :( :banghead: :blackeye:

The vet will call me later. I've got no idea what is going on with him. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry at this point! :arghh:

94. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Wondering if the vet takes him off subq fluids too early each time.

95. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He's been on IV fluids constantly since last Sunday :(

96. MrWorfMen's Mom

:(No words........:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

97. Yong & Maury GA

Aw man I got so excited for you Jen when I read he was coming home, then saw latest update :(. Have they figured out what's causing it? Maybe he's enjoying his new fame :rolleyes: but come on, Alfie! You'll be happier at home! For Jen :bighug::bighug::bighug:

98. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

I sure hope he can come home soon :( this is literally my worst fear with angel. I don't know how I'd keep her at the vet for 7 days and pay for it. :( so many good thoughts coming your way!!!

99. Kris & Teasel

Maybe he needs a higher carb diet for now to allow bigger insulin doses to be given. Is he getting R insulin along with ProZinc?

100. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Just the Prozinc as far as I know. He doesn't want to eat the higher carb prescription diet. The vet is going to run more tests. She's determined there's more we can do to get him right and that we're a long way from giving up hope.

We're just exhausted, this is such a rollercoaster.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.