Alice 11/7 AMPS 304 +4.5 210, raw food ???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Nov 7, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...5-8-444-pmps-398-4-5-332-sleepy-video.221366/

She’s been running high and shedding glucose in her urine so I am super relieved to see that 210 right now. Hopefully sticking to 1.5 will get her back down to nice numbers again. I wouldn’t doubt that she has trace ketones, but I still haven’t caught a urine.

Re: raw feeding
    I went to Sprouts yesterday and priced out ground lamb. It is $10/lb. They also had marrow bones frozen that I could boil. (Remember meat prep is a bit foreign to me.)
    But if this is how many calories are in a pound of lamb.... it seems like I would need an awful LOT for about 45 pounds of cat, all of whom need on average maybe 22-25 kcal/pound.
    How does one make this work out???
    651ADF58-C044-4369-88A4-6FE81260F8DF.jpeg

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko was getting about a quarter pound of raw a day, which with this lamb would be over 300 calories. She typically needed around 220 calories a day to maintain her weight, 14 lbs. So I generally fed lower calorie meats, or varied by meal so the average was about right. Your average kcal/lb seems a bit higher than my experience with three cats on raw.

I didn’t do bones, I just used premixes that needed just water and meat or meat and an egg. I liked easy prep.:)

Blues please Alice.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Alice keeps sliding down for you today.

4. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I can’t answer the calories question for you but most people start off with chicken thigh or pork loin (pork loin is Ming’s favourite). And like Wendy said, not necessary to buy bone if you’re using a pre-mix as they already add the bone meal or calcium needed. If you’re not doing a pre mix, it either means you’ll have to get Alice to learn to eat bone, grind bone, or use eggshell powder.

Is there a specific recipe you’re interested in trying or you’re just sussing out the price and amount of meat before you start?

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the premix that doesn’t require a bunch of extra additions like bone.

She currently eats chicken though and I figure it may be a problem. I suspect she would do well on lamb because she did used to have it in a dry food. If I avoid poultry, fish, and rabbit meats, then what else is there? :p

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member