AM +6 testing, got 64.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, May 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

I have read the hypoglycemia quick reference a few times.

It says very low numbers as <40, Low numbers as 40-60.

So is 64 ok? We tested twice and both readings were 64.

Just feed him some dry food.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's safe-- a very nice number! I would test again in an hour to make sure he's going up from there. The dry food should help (we don't usually feed carbs if they are over 50), but it's best to be sure!

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nan, I know she’s on prosync but doesn’t the 68 mean kitty earned a .25 dose reduction?

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, assuming they're following SLGS. Then, anything under 90 means a 0.25U reduction. The ProZinc methods sticky says that everyone should start with SLGS: PROZINC DOSING METHODS

5. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

yes I will reduce the dose by 0.25u again.

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s so great YAY, go Nathan!!! :bighug:

7. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello,

Would you please take a look at my cat Kitty's blood work results and give me some advice?

She had blood test and urinalysis on 05/02/2020. SDMA 27, CREATITINE 3.5, BUN 69. She also had UTI, so she was on Orbax for 10 days.

She was rechecked on 05/11/2020. CREATITINE 3.4, BUN 54.

Since then she has been on moderate protein 27-35%, low phosphorus (<200mg/100Kcal) canned food. She eats about 5 oz canned food each day. I add about extra 1.7 oz water to the food daily. She also drinks from the fountain on her own.

The vet said SubQ fluids are NOT needed now.

Before her diagnosis, she urinated 4-5 times a day.

After being on the moderate protein/ low phosphorus canned food for 3 weeks, she now urinates about 3 times a day. Is this a good sign or bad?

She will be rechecked in 2 months.

Attached are the bloodwork on 05/02/2020 and 05/11/2020.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

8. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Try and see if I can @Marje and Gracie, would you please take a look at Kitty's blood test ans urinalysis results and give me some advice? Thanks a lot.

My reply to other member's post was moved into my post.

The cat with CKD is Kitty, and she is not diabetic.

The diabetic cat is Nathan.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I moved your post here because it concerns your cat; if you post it in someone else’s thread, we call it a “thread hijack” ;):) Best to always put information regarding your kitty in his thread. You can always tag members; for example, if you had wanted me to look at his labs, you’d post them in this thread and then type @Marje and Gracie and ask me to look at them.

Has your vet mentioned that Nathan appears to be in Stage 3 of chronic kidney disease? Her phosphorus, calcium, hematocrit, and potassium look pretty good right now although she is trending towards anemia. As I suggested on the other thread, you might want to start reading on Tanya’s site for CKD cats and I would definitely focus on the page on anemia right now as you will need to start giving B vitamins soon. I would say she’s also close to needing subq fluids at home and you should discuss that with your vet again if the creatinine goes any higher. There is a section on “Hydration” on the above site as well. You are doing a good job of keeping her phosphorus low with whatever you are feeding. My healthy cat urinates three times a day so I don’t think that is an issue for her. With CKD cats, you want their main hydration to come from them drinking water and by adding water to their food as you are doing for as long as they can keep up. At some point, and it’s often around 3.5 on the creatinine, they can no longer process enough water to stay ahead of their peeing so you have to give subqs.

Once you read some of the important sections on Tanya’s like anemia (and B vitamins), phosphorus, hydration, and proteinuria (just so you are familiar with it), then tag me with any specific questions although I am not a vet. It looks to me like you are doing a good job. One of my CKD cats lived over four years with his numbers about where Nathan’s are and he was very stable; he did not pass from CKD.

Two months is a reasonable time to recheck.

10. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much for the information.

Nathan and Kitty are two different cats...

Nathan is diabetic, but not CKD.

Kitty has CKD, but not diabetic.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Oops, sorry! I was wondering why Nathan was a “she” :rolleyes::oops::oops: I was just focused on numbers and not names. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.