Amber/Meadow in LL: acro results in

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Ronnie & Luna, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

2. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Thanks Ronnie!! I was in acro posts trying to figure how to post in here, and then I saw you helped me out. Thanks!

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Welcome to Acro-land, Amber & Meadow

Come here with your questions about acro. The IGF-1 number 245 is definitely acro, but not terrifically high.

The excess growth hormone seems to be used in different ways by different cats -- some get growth of organs, some get really muscular, some get growth of body parts.

A common denominator is - insulin resistance, loud breathing (from excess tissue in airways) and headaches (squinty eyes, wants to be left alone or meatloafs).

We treat the headaches in a variety of ways depending on severity. Meadow may not have this yet.

Norton walked in circles, so his brain tumor had grown -- we used Prednosolone to reduce inflammation in the brain -- it helped him feel better and reduced the circling.

Others give aspirin (can't give every day!!) or Buprenex or ???

The great thing about the Lantus protocol -- Acromegaly is caught very early - usually before significant damage has taken place.

If it is financially possible, the SRS treatment at CSU is great -- several kitties have greatly reduced insulin needs and even gone OTJ.
    (stereotactic radiation surgery)

phoebe

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Amber, but at least you now know how to proceed on the insulin.

There are quite a few happy, fairly healthy acros around here, so don't get too discouraged. First thing is to work on getting those BGs down. The rules change a bit - you can be more aggressive with your increases; you go straight to HC if you get a low BG reading.

Boo had the SRS, so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Dr. Lunn @ Colorado State University also has a drug trial right now - it's not a cure but 6 months of treatment. She had 6 spots - I'm not sure if they are filled yet, but you can always contact here.

5. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Heather, do you mind my asking how much the SRS cost and how long it took to complete? Dr. Lunn is out of the office until next week. Thanks.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19072

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Dear Amber and of course Meadow,
    Just wanted to send a warm hello to you and welcome you to our acro group. I try to keep our acro sticky up so I'll be adding both your names to it if that's ok with you. I share the updates with Dr Lunn too so she's aware of just how many acrokitties there are - even those that don't get the treatment.

It's always so shocking in the beginning to get the news but please let us know how we can help you -

Sending you the warmest of thoughts and biggest of hugs

Patti - and always in my heart - Merlin

7. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Patti it would be ok with me if you want to add us to your list. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.