Amino Acids? Civie question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jt and trouble (GA), Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I just read (on another thread) about L Lysine being an amino acid . My Zoe actively seeks out and eats spider webs. I read somewhere that webs are made of amino acids.

When Zoe doesn't like the food I put down for her, she goes right out to the patio and *finds* spider webs to eat. This made me think that she might be lacking something in her diet. Do you think I should be adding the Lysine to her food? I dont know if there are different types of amino acids...??? She doesn't sneeze or have runny eyes.

I dont know if it makes a difference but she never drinks water. I put a new bowl down every two days and she avoids it like ..."Whats THAT for mom"?

Amino acids are found in higher protien foods? Shes a pretty picky eater. Loves the FF Classics.

Any light shed for my weird little Zoe would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    jeanne

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if L-lysine is something you can give whether or not they need it (like methyl-b12), but if it is, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to start giving it anyway and see?

If you're thinking it might be a protein thing, you can always add more protein to her food. I supplement up to 20% of my kitties' food with plain chicken or Tiki Cat Chicken (ridiculously high in protein).

3. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks so much for your responce. I just dont know anything about amino acids. I tried to get some sites to load but with dial up, sites with a lot of info, wont load properly. :/

The L Lysine I use to give Trouble was a pill I crushed. But I had no problem with it as Trouble readily drank water. If I add a powder to Zoe's food ...I dunno...

Anyway I guess I need to find a site that will load, so I can read up on amino acids.

Just where do you find this Tiki Cat Chicken?

thanks again,
    j.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

here are very many kinds of amino acids
    The human insulin protein is composed of 51 amino acids, and has a molecular weight of 5808 Da.
    I give some of my kitties L-Lysine daily.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Well there ya go...Thanks guys I didnt know that about Amino Acids. Maybe she just need more of a protien rich diet.

Y'all are great, thanks,
    j.

6. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The Tiki Cat is expensive, but it's high quality and it's the closest to raw I've been able to find without actually buying raw (which, all the raw I've found always has added crap in it like peas and carrots ohmygod_smile ). If you end up just adding pure protein like boiled chicken breast, make sure it's only 20% of the diet.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks, I will see if Petsmart (here) carries it.
    thanks a million.
    j.

8. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Jeanne - Zoe eats spider webs ??? Seriously ??? Mine will eat the spiders but not the webs.....Ewwww Want to lend her out ??? :lol: I've got lots this year!

9. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Both Mikey and Henry eat SLUGS! Mikey even brought me one as a present one time. :?

10. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

My crew also get l-lysine since I have one with herpes.
    I saw that somewhere too about the spider webs and possibly lacking an amino acid but I think it was taurine. I can't remember where I read it either so can't verify truth.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Yep she loves them. Goodle "Cats eating Spider Webs" and see how many sites there are. While I could only get one to load, I quickly realized..."We're NOT alone" :eek:

And Jill ,I read that somewhere too (about the taurine) but I guess if that were the case, Maybe Zoes system doesnt utilize the taurine properly...? which leaves her system lacking? I mean FF Classics pass the fed regs...right?

I did ask her Vet about this and she seemd puzzled like, "what am I worried about"? Since I really cant afford all the tests to find out, I thought maybe I should try experimenting with her food. If the extra protien would cause her to stop the web eating.

Funny Zoe WONT eat her lizards but loves spider webs... :roll:

thanks guys,
    j.

12. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Maybe they're just yummy. Sort of like a cat's version of cotton candy :lol:

Afterall we eat lots of things we don't need just because they taste good. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Thats true Mel. They eat ALL kinds of stuff that to us are icky but to them yummy. I also read that they can pick it up as a habit. Like she ate them when she was on her own in the wild and now she does it out of habit...

I dunno I just wanted to make sure she is getting all she needs, to be healthy. ;-)

thanks,
    j.

14. PaulaF

PaulaF Member

My vet prescribed Lysine in powder form w/fish flavor when a few of my kitties had eye infections along w/eye drops so a bit won't hurt.

Also, for the water...it's a good thing that cat's don't drink a lot of water. They should get sufficient water from wet or raw food diets. So unless they're fed dry food or they're BG is high they shouldn't drink a "lot" of water. You should always leave a fresh bowl of water out since I'm sure she drinks some water just not when you offer it...after all, that's the "cat" thing to do to be "indifferent" :cool:

15. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Slugs ??? Oh yuck!! Maybe spider webs aren't so bad after all....

16. jt and trouble (GA)

I have never seen slugs around here but PULEEEZZZZ Dont give Zoe ANY ideas. :lol:

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.