? AMPS 472, +3 273; dose question.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Viktoria, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Previous post about dose increase: ninja-just-doesnt-like-swimming-in-blue-seas.201462 (I am planning to increase his dose this evening, just FYI)

I have some additional questions to make sure I am understanding this completely and am making an educated decision. (I apologize in advance if they are really dumb questions)

1. Based on the information we currently have for Ninja, when is his onset and when is his nadir? (aside from one or two cycles, it appears to me that the onset is about 2-4 hours in and nadir is around that same time?)
    2. Is he bouncing? Or is he just responding to not having enough insulin?
    3. What is your feeding schedule with your felines? I currently feed Ninja in the morning, after testing and leave that food out until 2.5 hours prior to testing for the PMPS, then feed and that food is out for him until 2.5 hours prior to the AMPS. Is that wrong? Could I improve? (We have a timed feeder, so that's not an issue - more just trying to figure out what's best for him, he loves to graze currently)
    4. What do you all do when you travel? Pet sitters? Boarding? Any tips/experiences? We are going to be leaving for a bit in November and I'm already an anxious mess about it...

Thank you again for all of your help. The amount of time that everyone has taken in answering my questions, calming me down and reassuring is incredible. I appreciate you all, and credit you with saving what's left of my sanity ;)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think I would increase to 1.75 units as soon as convenient. Ninja just saw blues once, and all the rest of the nadirs have been yellow. Time to get him out of those higher numbers. Nadirs become a lot more obvious when they get out of the higher numbers, but right now my best guess would be somewhere around +6 for Ninja. Onset maybe around +3, but you'll need some cycles with both a +2 and +3 test to narrow it down.

He could be bouncing, but his dose is definitely too low. They bounce more when they aren't at a good dose yet.

Your ffeeding schedule is fine if Ninja is a grazer. I used to feed several meals early on the cycle, as Neko was a Hoover and I needed to control intake. For kitties that dive early in the cycle, several small meals early on can help slow the dive. I might make sure there is some fresh food around +2.5 or so, so fresh carbs are on board for onset. Fast dives can also cause bounces and I see a coupl cases where Ninja took a fast drop,such as the PM cyclemof the 17th.

The only time I travelled when Neko was around, she came with me. Or DH took care of her for brief amounts. I would recommend a petsitter over boarding at a clinic, check you local vet to see if there is a tech looking to make some extra money. Some petsitter services have people who can do shots and/or test. Maybe post in the Feline Health forum, asking for recommendations near your city. I had a friend who went away a month to England with a very competent tech in charge of his diabetic kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.