Amps advise on dosage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by 8catsplus2, Aug 27, 2020.

1. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Amber,

Just got your tag. I'm sorry I can't help. I've never used Prozinc and I don't really comment that much on dose unless I think a cat might be getting too much insulin.

I'm tagging @Elizabeth and Bertie in case she might still be online and maybe have a look at Lucy's spreadsheet for you and make some general comments.

Mogs

8catsplus2 likes this.
  3. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Amber, since you are following the SLGS dosing method, you hold doses 1 week. It does look like Lucy needs more insulin though. And since you are at home and are able to test more frequently, you could try the Modified SLGS method. But I am not familiar with the method. It is described in this sticky:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

Why don't you hold the dose for now and read through this sticky and see if you can follow the more aggressive dosing method described there?

8catsplus2 likes this.
  5. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

It's to late I gave her .75u .. I don't know what SLGS is I was going on what Deb was telling me what to do..And when you say hold for awake do you mean stay at the same amount. Will definitely do the reading when I'm more awake it's only 730 am here in dead tied

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I've just gone through your previous post where @Deb & Wink advised you to hold the 0.5 unit dose for 6 cycles, which you did. Now that you have taken the increase to 0.75 units, hold that at least 3 days/6 cycles to see how Lucy behaves on it.

Hopefully Deb will see the tags and be along to help you with dosing.

Deb & Wink and 8catsplus2 like this.
  7. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I tagged her last night hoping I would have an answer this morning.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Deb is not usually on until after 8pm EST and only for an hour or so, so she still hasn't seen it more than likely.

Deb & Wink and 8catsplus2 like this.
  9. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Good to know

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

So, I'm going to throw the question right back at you Amber. Did you read the Sticky PROZINC DOSING METHODS document? It explains some of the terms we use, and the BG levels to make your decisions on dosing.

According to the Prozinc Dosing Protocols, what dose SHOULD you be giving? And for how long? When should you reduce the dose?

The dosing protocols are one of the "Sticky" or pinned posts at the top of the forum. Printing out a hard copy of the dosing guidelines can be really useful to answer your questions, when no one is around to help you.

One thing that can cause an issue, is prefilling the insulin dosage column on your SS. I would recommend that you not pre-fill, since the dose could change before the next shot, and you could give the wrong dose.

p.s. Just signed on. Running really late this evening, since I absolutely had to get some things done for myself that I had been putting off for too long. I'm already at least 1 hour past my usual bedtime, and still need to get some things done before I can sleep. I'll be a total "zombie" in the morning, without enough sleep.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  11. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Not yet . i would love to print it but I don't have a printer. It's real hard to read a small cell phone screen I will see if my nephew can print it. Thanks for your help.. I too am a zombie

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Fantastic that your nephew could print out the dosing protocol for you to look at! There is at least one other document that your nephew should print out for you to study. Post it on your fridge. It's important to know the hypo (hypoglycemia) symptoms and how to treat them. Here is that document for you to look at.
    How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!

This document tells you what you should have in your Hypo Toolkit >>>>> jojo and bunny's HYPO TOOL BOX It's invaluable too.

Our goal on the message board, is to help you learn how to better manage your cats diabetes. The dosing protocols are there so you can start making some of those treatment decisions yourself. You are there with your cat, to observe their behavior, and know her so much better than we ever will. The decisions on what to do are always yours. We can only make suggestions, based on our experiences.

Just like a new human diabetic, education is fundamental in managing feline diabetes. We give you the tools to help you do that. The "Sticky" or pinned posts in the different forums, the spreadsheet (SS) so you can track the BG levels, insulin amounts given, food fed and so much more, the entire Health Links/FAQS forum has a lot of documents that can help you. Look in the first post there in that forum, the Index ( Sticky INDEX: Health Links/FAQs ) and you will find so much that is helpful with this disease. Simply click on the blue text, and it will take you to that document, that link.

Reading other people's threads is very helpful also.

It's up to you to take the next step, and take advantage of those resources that can be found here.

There will not always be someone around to guide you when you need it. So bookmark or save those important documents in your browser so you can refer back more easily to documents you found helpful.

There are nuances that are not mentioned in the protocols, such as a cat being in steady yellows often signaling a "break" in a bounce that can only be learned from experience. But the basics in the protocols are pretty solid and were updated in February 2020. So they are quite current and based on the experiences of many people here.

Hope some of this helps you Amber.

Bandit's Mom and 8catsplus2 like this.
  13. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks .. I have everything in Lucy's hypo kit except the candy bar for me lol
    Is there a printable copy of the sticky notes. My nephew was able to print one but it printed out so small it's very very hard to read. He tried to make it larger but he said it just made it wonky. When he gets a small printed out for me I guess I'll have to take him to Kinko's or somewhere and have them blow them up. Thanks again for your help

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

No, there is no specific "printable copy" of the "Sticky" notes.

I've never had an issue with any of the documents on here printing in really small font. It all depends on what he has his computer and printer settings set to.

Is he signing on to the message board, and then opening the document and then printing?
    Or doing something else?

8catsplus2 likes this.
  15. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I just sent him a link to the documents
    It's a work computer
    When he opens the link it goes straight to the stinky pages and I am signed

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  16. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Your nephew can copy and paste the stickie into a word doc. Then he can make the print as large as you want.

17. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I will tell him thanks

Deb & Wink likes this.