Another dose question

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sootyca, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Since going onto 1 unit of caninsulin, Sky's numbers are all over the place. We had a good day on Tuesday for the curve but since then her numbers went up. I've changed her food again to Applaws Pate and Applaws senior and she has been on that now for over 24 hours - her numbers have really dropped this morning.

I think for Sky she is really affected by the food she eats but is it normal to have such number swings?

I'm also really quite worried that in a couple of weeks I will be away for a week - my sister is happy to do injections but will only manage once a day and she won't be able to do bloods. I may suggest she has a week without injections completely as she can't be monitored properly. A cattery stay or vet stay isn't an option as she would be too stressed from it.

2. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

She had another low morning so only gave a half dose.

Could the B12 tablet be helping to keep the sugars low overnight? I know she doesn't eat overnight but the last 2 mornings are low for her on this 1 dose.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

B12 wouldn't effect the bg level. I am curious why you didn't shoot last night? You could have done a 0.5 on a yellow. If your concern is she's dipping too low at night you could do a mid cycle reading or leave out some food. Those blue numbers, while different for her, are not necessarily a bad thing.... It's what you want to see... However as I said the only way to know for sure how low she's going at night is to occasionally do a reading at +4-5 and see.

As far as your vacation... If she's not going to do any testing I would err on the side of caution an maybe have her do only 0.5. There's no way you could hire someone (pet sitter, vet tech) to do the second shot?

4. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I didn't dose as she hadn't eaten any food - couldn't get her to eat at all and she just seemed out of sorts - the one very clear instruction from my vet was do not give her insulin if she won't eat - not that I trust my vet but balancing it up with how she seemed I didn't want to risk it. She had (and still has) dilated pupils and seemed subdued.

Just done a +4 on a half dose and she is nice and low still. Still has her dilated pupils and is sleepy - but this is nothing unusual for her.

unfortunately there is no-one who can come and do the second shot. It will only be for a week and her sugars seem to be at a decent level on the food she is on so she will hopefully manage on 0.5 a day. Will be monitoring anyway up until I leave so will see where we are nearer the time.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

202 after not having a shot the night before is REALLY good. I think you are starting to see evidence of some pancreatic healing.

6. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Thanks - she is really responsive to different foods. What she is on at the moment seems to really keep her sugars at a better level than any of the other food she used to eat.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.