? Any experience with kidney cancer in cats?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL and Chip, Nov 4, 2021.

1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

(Cross-posted from Health, since not everyone looks in on the posts over there)

Does anyone have any experience with kidney cancer or polycystic kidney disease in cats (diabetic or non-diabetic)?

I’m interested in the symptoms, how it was definitively diagnosed, treatment (if any), and prognosis.

Thanks for any info you can share.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’ve never had a cat with kidney cancer but I think treaty is probably chemo. Was an ultrasound done? After that if the vet thinks it appears it might be cancer I imagine there would need to be a biopsy.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

She doesn't post here much any more, but @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey civvie Minka had kidney cancer. Maybe search for her posts.

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi. I had a cat with renal (kidney) lymphoma. Her symptoms were mostly inappetence and less energy. I didn't realize anything was wrong, but her vet felt something abnormal during an exam and did x-rays and ultrasound. She was treated with chemo and we got the the cancer into remission. It was tough for a while - I had to give her sub q fluids twice a day for a year. She was a very mellow cat and handled that well. Her quality of life during this time was good - not great - so we kept at it. It bought us an extra year with her, and that was worth everything to us. She was not one of my sugar cats, by the way. If you read my story, you'll see some posts about her - her name was Minka. She got lung cancer about a year later, and we lost her to that. She was a month shy of 17.

I'm happy to try to answer any other questions you have.