Anybody who has switched from Lantus to Levemir?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KPassa, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I should have posted here first, but since there's so little activity on this board, I often forget it's here. :oops:

I got tired of having to dig through multiple threads in multiple places so I wrote up a Think Tank post on this and would love to have some more feedback since I know there are a few of us out there. :D

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Gosh, there used to be so many that made that switch. Did you post on the relaxed lantus forum? Or on Health? That would be the best place to get responses, I think.

I did not make that switch, but the general consensus was that lev was more gentle and cause less irritability in cats that experienced that on lantus. Also, the dose is a bit lower (in general) - like 70% of the lantus dose in a lot of case, but not all.

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't see this post till now. Even if you didn't use Lantus originally, if you're using Levemir, it would still be great to hear from you and how it's working. :D

4. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I know those with high dose kitties use lev- mainly as it is PH normal base rather than Lantus's acid base.

Most switch as their kitties on lantus seem jumpy, irritated, fussy at shot time, hissing or biting. They are completely different on levemir- relaxed, no avoidance issues- overall a happy cat.

Some have had improvement in numbers while others have seen none. Other cats have done the opposite and done worse on lev.

It can come down to ECID.

If you are thinking about switching but do not want to purchase a whole vial or set of pens see if someone would sell you a pen of Lev- it is getting to be a great time to ship it with the cooler weather of fall. That way you can test your cat out before shelling out $200-300 bucks.

5. mrbigsmom

mrbigsmom New Member

I am considering switching from Lantus to Levemir for Mr. Big. His preshot # is usually around 280. He has been on Lantus for about 4 years now approx. He is up to 5 units BID. The vet I have here is not very educated about feline diabetes. I have used trial and error with Mr Big myself and he's been great. His nadir is usually around 100. Did a curve a couple of weeks ago. My question is what sort of dose do I start with the Levemir? Same or smaller dose? The reason I am thinking of switching is that I can get it cheaper than Lantus. If he doesn't do well, can I switch back?

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Just seeing this now. Levemir is going to be more expensive that Lantus, but it usually works well for a cat that didn't do well on Lantus. As far as a starting dose, you want to start the Levemir at 70% of the current Lantus dose.

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Both insulins are getting expensive since they loose their inventors 'license' next year and it can be purchased generic.

MOM is right- usually a 70% decrease when switching from one to another. The plus is both are depot style insulins so you don't have to wait for the shed to build. And you can switch back if you want.

A cheaper way to go is seeing if a place will sell you one 3mL pen at a time, plus there are coupons that will help some- IF you can find a place since some do not like to break open sets. Pharmacies also have 10mL vials which are more costly in the long-run for small dosers since you run the risk of contamination, dropping it, or just pooping out on you eventually (my kitty was an acro cat and her highest was 33u BID but she finished her last two years under 8u BID and we never had a pen go bad even at 60-90 days of usage). Plus if you are just trying it out getting one pen would be better than dealing with a whole pack or a large vial.

Another way to go is to ask on board if they have a pen they could sell you. I shared my pens with others before on here. Unfortunately I lost my Sneakers in September and sent all her insulin to other kitties or I would have one to offer myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.