April 07, 2021 New member. Any tips I’m giving insulin to a difficult cat to give insulin to.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PatriciaB, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatriciaB

PatriciaB New Member

Hi I’m PatriciaB. My cat Arrow 8 year-old neutered male was just diagnosed with diabetes one week ago. I am new to all of this. He does not like to be picked up. He doesn’t really like to be grabbed a hold of like even to pull up the skin to give an injection. And with my being so nervous. This is almost overwhelming. I am sure that I will make it through this. I am just in hopes of hearing some tips.

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Patricia and welcome to the best place you never wanted to be. :joyful: I know how overwhelming it can be, but you can trust that it gets easier. I was a wreck with giving the shots, with testing, with everything! Now it's second nature to both me and the cat, and we have a routine that we've settled into that works really well. You can do it too. :bighug:

Can you tell us what kind of insulin you're giving your cat, the dose, and the kind of syringes you're using? I use really thin 31 gauge ones, and that helps because the cat will feel it less when it goes in.

A lot of us here also shoot insulin into the cat at mealtime while it has got its head in the food bowl so they don't really notice. I put the food down into my cat's feeder, she starts chowing down, I tent her fur and shoot. Usually she doesn't even pick up her head.

99% of this is the attitude you bring to whatever you are doing, so the more nervous you are, the cat will feel it. Sometimes singing a lullaby helps. I helped me a lot at the beginning to calm down.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please ask away. We've all been where you are now and can help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.