April 17 Fa amps 216 / +6=189/pmps 185

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by fafa's mum, Apr 17, 2021.

1. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

2. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

@Wendy&Neko

Hi Wendy. I hope you are well. Need some help again.

First of all, recently 3 units seem to be ok you reckon? I started to give insulin more often than my hubby and i think sometimes i might have given a fur shot so the BG went a bit higher. But other than that, you think we are ok to stay with 3 units?

Secondly it’s about Fa’s dental clean which will be on next Tuesday. I know normally we are not supposed to give food past midnight for the anaesthetics. However, our vet said the dental clean usually happens around lunch time and with consideration of Fa’s diabetes, she likes us to give food as usual at 6am and also gives insulin. There will be a few hours then until lunch time for dental clean. You think this is ok?

Also, we have been given Gabapentin 10mg (Neurontin) to give to Fa 1 capsule in the dinner before the dental day and also another capsule on the dental day in order to calm my cat. Fa is really stressed each time she goes to vet. Well, basically she does not go out of home unless it is going to the vet. She is stressed seeing strangers. Do you think this will be ok?

One more issue is that we haven’t for a long time given her any tablets for worms, since she stays at home. Now going to the vet, do you think we should give her some worm tablet in case she picks up anything from the vet? If you think we should, then i will do it on Sunday and would that be effective she will be at the vet just two days after Sunday?

I guess for these few days I am more stressed than Fa lol since i started to worry if she gets too stressed staying in the vet for a few hours until it is her time for dental clean. We need to drop her before 9am so i guess she will wait probably 2 to 3 hours. Oh by the way, should i bring some food to the vet for the vet to feed her after dental?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you think you did a fur shot, it helps to put something like "3.0 FS" for 3.0 units but fur shot in the units column of the spreadsheet. Fur shots can impact the depot and can explain higher numbers. If there are fur shots, we'd be more patient before increasing. For now 3.0 looks OK.

The new guidelines for diabetics and anaesthesia is that they can have a little bit of food up to 6AM (that's what my dental vet did), but also a half dose instead of a full dose in the morning. Definitely take in some food so Fa can have some lunch or tea after she wakes up from her anaesthesia. Otherwise they might give her some high carb junk food.

I have seen some people give Gabapentin to relax their cat before vet appointments, I have never done that. I sprayed Neko's carrier with Feliway and gave her some Rescue Remedy before we left. I wouldn't bother with the worming tablets if she's an indoor cat. She shouldn't pick that up at the vet's office.

fafa's mum likes this.
  4. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will do the half dose for sure.

I am not sure if it is fur shot most of the time. I am guessing only since I only started to give insulin since Feb. I actually worry each time if I do fur shot :banghead: but it’s also possible that the areas we give insulin do not absorb well. We changed location already for the shots but Fa seems to easily get stiff in the skin.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dental clean next week!

6. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

Thank you. :kiss:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

@Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi ladies. Just letting you know that Fa’s dental clean was all good. She has got moderate gingivitis but heavy plaques. Luckily that she can keep her teeth and no extraction. Guess I need to try one more time to see if she will chew on chicken necks.

Thanks again for all the support and help. :kiss:

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so glad to hear it all went well with the dental. That is a relief.
    Would she let you clean her teeth, or even rub a piece of cloth around her teeth with some cat toothpaste on it. That would get rid of the slime that builds up and would prevent plaque.

9. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it another try. This girl is very aggressive sometimes. :banghead:We went to pick her up from vet and we were too excited and forgot to mention to the nurse that sometimes she is very hard to deal with even just to get her into the cage. (When she arrive she might have been more calm due to Gabapentin) and we waited quite a bit Abe the nurse took her out telling us she is not in a good mood and tried to scratch her a few time. :banghead::banghead:I will see if I can manage to get her to be willing to try teeth brushing.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news the dental is over and she is home again. :) Even if you don't use toothpaste, you can use a fine cloth like a damp baby face cloth to rub their teeth.

fafa's mum likes this.
  11. fafa's mum

fafa's mum Member

It’s really hard to touch her but I will definitely try again. Thank you.