? Are we getting closer to being OTJ or am I just optimistic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BellaBlue82, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi all! Me again. ;)
    Nico has been doing really well, no really low scary numbers, and no really high numbers either. But we had a phenomenon last night. I was home yesterday, and tested around his nadir - still in the 140's. Ok, I've seen that happen with him before so I figured no big deal. Well then I tested at PMPS, and he was high 90's! So I stalled didn't feed. Tested again and he was 111. Poor guy was so hungry ( I mean, it was his dinner time lol) so I decided to feed and not shoot. Welp, it looks like he did ok with no shot!!
    That leads into my next thought - are we possibly getting closer to remission? And is it entirely possible that maybe he only needs one shot a day?? I honestly have no clue, but cute fuzzball is in high spirits today so I feel like I did the right thing last night.
    Not an urgent issue, but appreciate the feedback as always!!
    Bella

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Diane!

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

He is getting closer. You would not go to 1 shot a day. You would stay at twice a day and lower the dose. You might want to get calipers as you will need them for the micro dose when you get to it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Paula didn't Nico earn a reduction since today he dropped under 90?
    @JanetNJ

@Panic

@Olive & Paula

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

7. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Yes, I have read the dosing methods. I understand he earned a reduction from today (77 @ +3) however yesterday PMPS is what threw me off. I've not had that happen before, him being so "normal" before a shot.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

9. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Vetsulin doesn’t usually have a very long duration, so this can sometimes be a sign that the pancreas is “sputtering” and producing some insulin on its own. When my cat was on Vetsulin, she started getting lower not shootable preshot numbers before she went into remission :cat:

10. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi Sarah, Nico is actually no longer on Vetsulin - we transitioned to Prozinc about two months back. Thank you tho!

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like this 0.25 dose. Maybe a fat 0.25 in the evening

BellaBlue82 likes this.
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may make a suggestion regarding your signature, I suspect that Sarah was confused with the notation about your switch to Prozinc. I didn't know what you meant by "Txd." Also, the date for the switch is 7/5/2921. I also suspect that you don't time travel!!

You're aiming to see a lot more green on Nico's spreadsheet. Given that the 97 and the 111 are virtually the same numbers, there was no reason to not shoot. Part of your cat being closer to remission is you're getting comfortable with shooting lower numbers.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may make a suggestion regarding your signature, I suspect that Sarah was confused with the notation about your switch to Prozinc. I didn't know what you meant by "Txd" and I'm guessing that's what threw Sarah off. Also, the date for the switch is 7/5/2921. I also suspect that you don't time travel so you may want to edit the date!!

You're aiming to see a lot more green on Nico's spreadsheet. Even making allowances for the pet meter reading higher, the majority of Nico's numbers are outside of normal range. He's getting there but not quite yet.

Given that the 97 and the 111 are virtually the same numbers, there was no reason to not shoot. Part of your cat being closer to remission is your getting comfortable with shooting lower numbers.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    BellaBlue82 likes this.
  14. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Janet! That sounds like a plan.

15. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Sienne! Sorry about the confusion in my signature, I'm so used to office shorthand (txd is transitioned) lol, I'll just remove that so as not to confuse anyone. And thanks for catching that date omg :facepalm: and I look at that how many times every day!!!

I appreciate the insight on the numbers. You're right, I'm finding my way towards getting more comfortable shooting lower numbers - it seems so weird to me after how long with him near 600! I think when I saw him around 100, I kinda freaked out lol.

I'm just grateful to have found this site and all of you for support... Honestly 4 months ago I never thought I'd get the hang of this or be able to help Nico as much as I can. :bighug:

16. JanetNJ

You're doing great and nico is lucky to have you.

BellaBlue82 likes this.
  17. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi @Sienne and Gabby (GA) and @JanetNJ , Nico had a lower number at nadir this evening. I know he's still not in a totally ideal range and still needs some insulin, but since anything under 90 earns a reduction where do we go from 0.25? I have read about calipers for microdosing - should those be my next steps? Or should I hold the 0.25 for a bit longer in the cycle and see if he happens to have more lower numbers? Thanks again!!

18. JanetNJ

Maybe do a skinny 0.25. Just a hair lower, and she what happens

19. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Ok, thanks Janet!!

20. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Im reading around @BellaBlue82 and nicos spreadsheet is beautiful. I hope lando can copy nicos homework!

BellaBlue82 likes this.
  21. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks so much, I hope Lando starts to feel better soon!! It has definitely been a journey with Nico, honestly I never thought he would even be this good! This forum has been a lot of help, and he still has some off days, but I'm soooo happy to see him play with his siblings again and be more himself.[​IMG]

Lando demando likes this.
  22. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well wishes for Lando! Nicos a sweet guy! Many more years of good health to him.
    And yes xs 1000 re this forum. Seriously i think Lando would not be here.
    Stay well!

BellaBlue82 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.