Ashfur AMPS 296 What is a bounce?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ASHFUR, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Hi,

I'm sorry If I've missed this answer somewhere or if it's a terrible question. I've seen it in many threads and it's even been said directly to me but not explained.

Could someone please help me understand what clearing a bounce means or the phenomenon and what it entails? I feel like if I understood what happens then it will help me determine future events in my cats numbers. I see patterns happening but I have no idea what I am looking at. Its like I missing a few pieces to a puzzle that I'm trying to put together.

Also is it normal for my cat to have flat days where he doesn't budge at all in BG numbers and other days he falls consistently?

Thanks for your help and patience. I'm learning at snail speed over here!

Roxy450 likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When your cat's bg either drops lower than he is used to or drops quickly the bg will go up high.For Ashfur it happens when he hits blue nadirs right now. Once the bounce clears if you don't see more bye nadirs it's time to increase. I think I would increase tomorrow unless you see blue today or tonight.

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...mc-to-bring-up-bg-normal.244882/#post-2762853

It looks like this was your last post. We link them for continuity. With TR you hold the dose for about 10 cycles when you see blue nadirs. That's good but we would like to see some green.

3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi there,

@Sue and Luci explains bouncing better than anyone. Here's a fun post she made explaining bouncing, starring Mr. Pancreas and Mr. Liver: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-8-346-increased-tonight.234063/#post-2618868.

So when Ashfur bounces, it takes sometimes 6 cycles for lower numbers to appear again. That's when you've "cleared" the bounce. The numbers you are seeing, some days flat, other days with more dramatic dips, are fairly normal for an unregulated cat.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As he gets better regulated you will see more and more flat cycles in more normal numbers.

5. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Can I ask you another question... Is the goal always to get our cats to be in the "green" numbers? I don't know if I am ready to deal with those lower numbers. Is that what we are always working toward? Or is that something people choose to do at some point when they make that decision?

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The definition of a bounce is in the New to the Groups Sticky Note:
    Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

Bouncing is perfectly normal for new, and even some not so newly diagnosed kitties. It's part of the process as cats get used to normal blood sugar again.

the chance of remission, which means regulation first. It's only by being used to normal numbers that he's stop bouncing as much. And we also call those green or normal numbers the healing numbers. Cats are unique creatures that have pancreases that can rest and heal and possibly go into diabetic remission. We do have tools, high carb food and syrup/honey, along with our BG meters, to keep our cats safe when they get into lower numbers. And yes, it is terrifying the first few times you see low numbers. As you learn Ashfur's response to food, it will become easier.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I feel such JOY reading these answers because it's exactly the piece of information I was missing. I was seeing it happen over and over and knew it correlated to bouncing somehow but I needed it confirmed. I get it now.

Thanks everyone.

Julia Rae likes this.