Aurora - Probably coming back - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole Z, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone!

Looks like our OTJ party might be coming to an end. I haven't been testing Aurora in forever - mostly because the Relion Confirm Micro Meter test strips have been discontinued. I just ordered the Glucard 01 Sensor Strips which I was told by other members are compatible to that meter. Aurora had an accident this weekend and pooped and peed outside the litter box. We took her to the vet and they checked her with their meter there which I believe is the cat meter and she was mid 300's. They sent out blood work for a fructosamine test and that also came back slightly elevated. The vet wanted me to test her at home daily for a week and report back. I will keep you all posted here once the meter arrives and I start testing daily.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Did the vet say if something is going on with Aurora? I hope it's just a blip and she comes back down. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  3. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Hoping its just stress at the vets office! Good luck! :cat:

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that...I hope it's something else? Maybe she needs a dental cleaning???

Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it soon.

5. Nicole Z

Hi Everyone! Been a crazy few days. Yes, she definitely needs a dental - for some reason she builds tartar fast - she gets a dental usually every year or less. We are scheduled for Sept 8th. I also ordered the test strips suggested by other member that are compatible with my old Walmart Relion Micro so those should be arriving shortly. At the vet, the in house labs showed her glucose was 335 out of a range of 71-159
    Her BUN was 34 out of 16-36 range, BUN/Creatine 33
    Her Globulin level is high 5.6 ( Range 2.8-5.1 )
    LIPA was also high 2679 (Range 100-1400)

I also requested a copy of the Fructosamine test and that came back with result of 427 ( Range 191-349 )
    The vet felt that she was just slightly past the high range so she wanted me to home test. I believe what is best would be to test daily once the strips arrive to get a baseline and just get her dental and continue to test for a week after the dental and then make a decision about starting insulin again or not. What do you all think?

Aurora was on a very tiny dose, I don't know where we would start....seems since I have been gone, my mind dumped all the rules about this, we were following tight regulation but I was never by any means a pro at this.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I suppose I'd start over by reading the dosing methods and refreshing your memory there - looks like you're following TR, so that'll be the easy part.

Sorry to see this turn of events, hope you can get her back into remission again!

7. Nicole Z

Hi! Wanted to post some updates - the test strips finally arrived yesterday! I tested her and she was mid 200's and this AM she was mid 300's. I took her this AM for a full dental cleaning so hopefully that helps the situation. I asked the vet about a new RX for Lantus and she's hesitant to start her up on insulin just yet. Aurora gained weight, and isn't drinking or peeing more than usual so she wants to wait. What do you all think?
    I was a little surprised by that but she is very hesitant and said it might be better to just wait and continue to test daily for awhile. Thoughts?

8. Nicole Z

If I could get some feedback that would be great! Thanks!

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! Did Aurora get a complete work-up? Is there anything else happening with her besides the tartar? Is she still on 100% low-carb diet? Personally, I'd wait and continue to test after her teeth cleaning for at least a couple days.

10. Nicole Z

HI!!! She got a complete work up 2 weeks ago. Nothing else. Her eating, and drinking and peeing aren't any different. She's eating the raw turkey and also the weruva slide and serve lamb. They did check her again yesterday before the dental and said she was in the 400's when they checked. One vet who did the cleaning wants to wait but the other vet just emailed and said she is back to being diabetic and to get her started back on insulin again. She's 13 lbs - can you help me with a starting dose following the tight regulation? I suck at all things like that.
    I will continue to check her - I did not check this AM - will check before I feed her tonight - she had a big day yesterday so wanted to just let her be this AM.

11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you can put all the recent numbers on the SS for anyone wishing to look quick.

I haven't been too active on here lately. I will tag a couple for you to help with the starting dose!
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Chris & China (GA)

12. Nicole Z

I'm super crazy with work so if I find some time I will.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes!
    Looking forward to it. Just the last couple weeks is good enough to start. When you get to it, could you grab the 2020 tab and move it to the left so it's the first one to come up.

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m hoping the dental works magic. How is your civvie doing with the dermatitis? Mocha’s seems to come and go as does the EGC. I tried 1/4 zyrtec when she scratched enough to draw blood and it helped.

15. Nicole Z

I promise I will enter everything by the weekend

16. Nicole Z

How do I move the tab?

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If on a computer, put your cursor on the tab and yank it over.

18. Nicole Z

Ok, everything is all updated! Thank you Wendy! I totally forgot how hard it is to edit stuff on an ipad, computer works much better. So far we have the following:
    9/8 PM check 258
    9/9 AM 318
    9/10 Dental did not check her
    9/11 279
    Vet is going to call in RX to Marks Pharmacy Canada so I can get 1 Lantus pen.
    Aurora's current weight is 13lbs 0 oz