Back again!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelley and Pip, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Hi everyone! I still need to post the spread sheet but have a quick question. My cat was recommended for 1u of Vetsulin (I have a follow-up on Friday and want do discuss a different insulin option) 2x a day. Her preshot test is always between 230-240. When I gave her 1u she dropped to the 70s at +3. I called the vet and we discussed and he said to keep an eye on her and gave tips on what happens if she goes lower. He then followed up about 4 hours later to see how she was. Although I don’t want her to go low of course if I’m home it’s easier to know she’ll be okay. The last two times I gave her insulin I was uncomfortable with the 1u because I wouldn’t be home past the +3 mark so I’ve been giving her .5u. When I get home around +6 she is always around 130. But back up to 230ish by her next feeding time. Is .5 okay or should I stick with 1?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kelley,
    It will be much easier to help you once you have the spreadsheet up and filled in so can you make that a priority please? If you need help let us know.
    I am not a vetsulin user so will tag @JanetNJ to help but in the meantime, YES you need to reduce the dose down from 1 unit.
    are you giving a snack around +1.5 or +2 to slow the drop and giving another snack around +4. That will help slow any big drops.
    If you are looking at swapping to another insulin Lantus is a great choice and there is a lot of support for it here. Prozinc is another good choice.

Dyana likes this.
  3. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Thank you so much! I will do that once I’m at a computer!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

She is a very pretty kitty. What is her name?

5. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Thanks! Her name is Pip and she is 13. She was in remission for many years but we recently moved and the symptoms started coming back. They ran a fructosamine which was over 600 so we started insulin again. I think I attached the spreadsheet in my signature but couldn't figure out how to name.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

HI! I'm glad you dropped the dose. You may need to do a fat 0.5 or a .75 But lets track it for a few days.

7. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Thanks @JanetNJ. I think I got her spreadsheet up and linked properly! My syringe doesn't have a 1/2 marker so I am eyeballing it at this point and trying to get as close as possible. Thankfully she tolerates ear pricks well so hopefully get a lot of data this week and see what's happening before meeting with the vet Friday.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Reason for edit: changed eye to ear
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would pick up other syringes for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.