Baco is doing great!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ruby&Baco, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I decided to post an update again because I haven’t done one in a while.:rolleyes:
    Baco is doing great, just tested her original +2 (after PMPS) and she gave me a nice 79.
    She seems to like 79, because last week when I tested her she also gave me that nice green number. :D(I’m not complaining hihi)

The weight loss is still a struggle :banghead: but I’m seeing some improvements.
    I took the advice I got last week on the forum and started counting her calorie intake and she gets 234 calories a day since a week.
    She is bouncing with her weight BUT is going down I can see that.:woot:

Last weekend I ordered new raw food (prepacked) and I ordered the once that had the least fat in them so the fat is even less than before.
    So she gets the same or even more amounts in grams but the calories are nicely counted and the fat % is around 6%-10%. I just received it today and as from tonight she is getting those new flavors. So I’m curious to see what she will weight at the end of the week, hopefully she lost some weight (fingers crossed):p

My new job is still amazing, I really like it there and the people are super nice to me.
    I feel really welcome at the company. Although the only negative thing is that I've been M.I.A. for the past couple off days because of my work and everything is still new and it's overwhelming so when I get home I just eat, watch some tv, cuddle with Baco and Minnie and go to sleep. But today i'm feeling fine so I decided to do a forum night.;)

How are you all doing?

:bighug::kiss:

Sarah Smith, Shorty and Sharon14 like this.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Love to hear good news, Ruby! Glad you are liking your new job and wonderful that Baco continues to give you lovely numbers.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you, especially since it's all good news! Glad the job is going well and Baco is staying green. Hope the new food does the trick for Baco

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Always glad to see you Ruby! Glad that Baco is doing well too!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  5. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

I love good news. Hooray for Baco and your awesome new job. :woot:

I really think Tuck wants to party with Callie, Baco and @Sarah Smith 's Cooter. But we don't talk too much about things we don't want to jinx! He fooled me into thinking this once before. I think I gave him a fur shot tonight, haven't done that in forever so who knows what that'll do. :banghead:

Ruby&Baco and Sarah Smith like this.
  6. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Cooter and I are ready to party whenever Tuck wants to have one :cat:

Glad to hear you and Baco are doing well Ruby! I haven't been posting much with all the other kitty drama I have going on here, but have been keeping up with most of the posts, at least here in the prozinc forum! :bighug:

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  7. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Uh oh, I know at least one of your other kitties wasn't in the best health. Here's a :bighug: if you need it.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Thanks Kristen! :bighug:
    Just learning to do a new type of dance with HCM and asthma with my girl Domino. Now 14yr old Murphy who honestly has like 3 teeth, apparently has 1 of them bothering her as of dinner tonight... unscheduled vet visit tomorrow, hooray, hooray! ;) Why can't they stay you do and healthy forever!! :banghead:

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  9. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Sigh, I wish I knew the answer. I have one here with asthma but not HCM. My guy is doing well on inhaled steroids which aren't systemic so virtually no risk of causing diabetes.

Sarah Smith and Ruby&Baco like this.
  10. Ruby&Baco

Thanks everyone, will reply later today at your posts! I'm working right now. Just wanted to say that Baco didn't really ate yesterday evening she doesn't like the new flavor, and the one she got today she didn't like either.
    So she lost some weight, more than she needs to for a week, but is that a problem that she maybe will lose more than 1%? I don't want to give in and give her the higher fat foods again..

11. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy to hear the good news - hope you find food she likes - be careful with the weight loss - hepatic lipidosis can occur if she doesn't consume enough calories (I know because Murphy got it)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  12. Ruby&Baco

Well I think Baco (little piggy) will eventually give in because she likes to eat, and if she is hungry she will eat it (although she doesn't really like the flavor) I will check what she ate today when I get home from work in 2 hours.
    I think she needs to adjust to the new flavors, she was used to diced meat and rabbit and stuff like that, but now she gets hare and pheasant and horse and stuff like that because it's low in fat. But she never ate those kind of flavors

13. Ruby&Baco

I just spoke with my vet and she said that Baco may not lose more than 1% of her weight.
    So I'm just gonna stick to that then. She recommended me to mix the new low fat flavors with the old higher fat flavors just to let Baco adjust to the new flavors.
    Hopefully this will work for her.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ruby, it's nice to hear that Baco is still doing so great. And glad you found some new food lower fat. Good luck with the weight loss for Baco, apparently she is doing great despite having to lose a little weight ( aren't we all??, LOL) ]

Nice you love your new job and everyone is nice and welcoming. That always helps! I am sure they realize that you are a great addition to their company. Relax when you can and take care of yourself. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah! So glad to see you and Cooter and glad to see he is still enjoying the falls. Sorry to hear about your other kitty health problems. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sarah Smith likes this.
  16. Ruby&Baco

Sorry, I couldn't find the time to reply to your lovely comments again, was too busy with this little piggy diva called Baco who yet again didn't want the hare flavor, so pff. I mixed it with another low fat flavor that she does like (I gave it in the past to here so I knew) and I gave 20% haze and 40% of the other flavor, so she did eventually eat it because I tricked her with the other flavor, thank god!
    Going to sleep now, will try to post some more tomorrow evening!
    Xx:bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  17. Ruby&Baco

How great is that! Let's hope it, but we indeed don't talk about it:rolleyes:

Damn, I didn't know it was that bad Sarah.. Hope you can manage this.. Do you ever get a break?

Yes, I heard from my vet about what can happen so I stick to what she said and I will mix the food with the old food (she likes). She is eating it now so I'm happy but I would be more happy if she now for once would lose the weight... It's getting really frustrating!:mad:

18. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Delighted to hear Baco is continuing to do well and losing a bit of weight to boot even if she is being a bit of diva about the new food flavours. :cat: Sounds like you outsmarted her. Way to go! :DAlso glad to hear your new job continues to go so well. I'm sure with time the MIA will decrease! It takes time to settle into any new job and that can be exhausting but it will get better. The important thing is you like your job!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  19. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

I'm a rat, sorry just noticed your post Ruby. Get your cats chase me!
    I'm happy to hear that everything is good with you and kitties although you haven't mention BH. Hope he's ok too.
    What is M.I.A please?
    I'm interested in what you guys mentioned about hepatic lipidosis, I did not know that your cat can get it when you cut down calories, I thought the cat has to starve for 24 hours to get ill. I'm worried now because I put Rocky on a strict diet which was basically smaller amount of food but quite nutrient and calories dense.
    Rocky is stable now at 6.3 kg and I don't think I can slim him down even more. It would be interesting to see how Baco will react to the new low calorie diet.

20. Marlena

sorry, I meant BF, ha ha ha!

21. Ruby&Baco

Haha Marlena, it doesn't matter! BF is doing better, still not 100% himself but he's getting there. A depression is something you will always carry your whole life (in his case) so he has good moments (for a couple of years) and then he gets into a depression because some things would trigger him, and that's something that he needs to pull himself out so that takes a lot of time. But he has energy again and is more of the times happy so that makes me happy :)

I don't know whats up with that hepatic lipidosis, but I was in a discussion with the vet about it and I said "well Baco was 7.5kg and before the diagnose she was 6.3kg so she lost a lot in a short time and didn't have this hepatic lipidosis.." So the vet said well some cats won't get it but because Baco had just won from the diabetes it's not recommended to let her lose more than 1%.
    Well this week she lost the perfect 1% for the first time! :woot: She was supposed to weigh today 7.13kg and SHE DOES! Sooo that's really good! I'm happy! :p

BJM, Marlena and Sue and Oliver (GA) like this.
  22. Ruby&Baco

Question, Baco is almost 2 months OTJ (yeaaahhhh) :p but I want to know, I still test her once a week, can I do that once every 2 weeks now? Or should I stick to once a week?

23. Marlena

Ruby, so happy that Baco is loosing weight slowly!
    With testing I think at this stage you could test her when it feels comfortable for you. I don't know whether you get any symptoms when Baco's sugar goes up, with Rocky I would see the signs. After last remission which lasted 6 months he gradually started behaving like a prat tearing the house apart, meowing at night and early in the morning and giving my DH very hard time (I was on holiday).
    Sorry to hear that dear BF had health problems, it is very common and really unpleasant. My DH has depression on and off but I think it's more like low mood rather then clinical depression. It makes life very difficult sometimes but he found hobbies and projects he is very engaged in and it made him so much better. I really had problems to understand this sort of issue (I always managed to sort myself out when problems occurred and had generally positive outlook on life) but after depression hit me due to life circumstances, I could finally understand what it's like! Horror! Feel sorry for anyone affected.
    So happy testing, does your heart still go in your throat when you look at the result on the meter?
    Sending you hugs and cheers.
    Marlena & Rocky:cat::cat::cat:

24. Ruby&Baco

I'm at work so I can't post a long comment (will do it tonight Marlena) but wanted to ask, isn't there a 'rule' to test your kitty every 2 weeks or 4 weeks although they are otj? I'm not sure but I thought I read that somewhere...

25. Marlena

Sorry Ruby, I don't know, probably there is but sod the rules sometimes!

26. Ruby&Baco

Did you feel comfortable to just test whenever you feel like it? I still get that feeling of having my heart in my throat everytime I test you know.. Still after 2 months haha

27. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. I think most test once a month...or whenever they think their kitty is acting like he might have some higher numbers. Gypsy never went OTJ so I'm not sure, but you could do a search on Health to see what others do. :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  28. Ruby&Baco

Mmm maybe I try once every two weeks for now and then I switch to once a month.
    I just don't want to be 'too late' if the sugar dance returns you know... The possibility of it returning will still be all here life.
    I know the signs when she has high BG but sometimes (like today) she was acting weird again, screaming loud and exxagerating. She does this because she wants attention, but she also 'did' it when she was in high numbers, so I immediately got my kit and tested her (a beautiful 74) but whenever she does that I get really bad anxiety you know? Than I get that feeling of defeat and think she is going to give me a really high number... It's so hard to let that go, the fear that the diabetes will return... :banghead: I think I can never let that fear go, I guess... :(

Marlena likes this.
  29. Marlena

Oh Ruby, I can imagine how you feel.
    I think if more frequent testing gives more peace I would think it's a good idea, test as much as you feel you need to, nothing wrong with that.
    It is so nice to see her in good numbers, well done you two.
    In the meantime Rocky is giving me slightly higher numbers today and I don't know why but he has been doing this dance for a long time, actually from the very beginning so I'm getting used to it. I wonder if he ever goes into remission.
    And his higher numbers today match his behaviour - he's whingey and keeps meowing for more food, drinking a little more.
    Otherwise he seems very well, tomorrow we're going the vets for check up.

30. Ruby&Baco

Yeah, the once a week is still really not comfortable but I have to leave Baco alone.. She doesn't deserve to be poked all the time, she has earned that remission and she earned 'no poking everyday' haha. :p
    But I will try once every 2 weeks from now on and if I get a little weird feeling (like yesterday) I will ofcourse test her if I don't trust her behaviour.

Men oh men, I was so hoping his little vet visit for his teeth would fix the higher BG.:( But I guess not. He was doing so great though after his dental vets appointement!
    How can that change into higher BG?
    Well don't give up Marlena, he is sooooo close!
    Hopefully the vet maybe can tell you what the problem is? Because he was doing great.. Keep us posted!

Marlena likes this.
  31. Marlena

I think it is a sensible idea to test Baco every 2 weeks and at times when you think she might be getting a higher number. You are right, she needs a break from poking, she was good and patient and she deserves a little peace!
    I'm sure she will cooperate, keeping my fingers crossed.
    So Rocky went for check up and everything is really good (new post in ProZinc forum) but the vet did not give me any coherent answer as to why Rocky might be getting higher numbers after doing so well in days after surgery.
    I think he was getting too much food recently and he does not move at all because it is so hot.
    Looks like I will have to buy the scales after all.
    Back to diet and I will try to manage him on much less food and possibly less insulin.
    Next hurdle would be to manage everything when I go away at the end of the month for 4 days. Oh...:nailbiting:

32. Ruby&Baco

She does cooperate still as good as that she did when she was tested every dat multiple times.
    I will check the new post in prozinc forum! in an hour, I will leave the office now and when I'm home and have eaten dinner I will read it Marlena.

Is it also so hot in UK? It's really hot here also. 32 degrees! :eek: and tomorrow it will be even hotter, jeeezzzzzzz:nailbiting: Luckely we have really great airco at the office so we don't even notice it but it would have been nice if we also could enjoy it.

I will be free this Thursday and Friday, so I can still enjoy the nice weather!

Marlena likes this.
  33. Ruby&Baco

Missing in action. It's something you can say when you are not around for a longer period off time.

It is indeed very unpleasant, especially when you can't control your mood swings.
    I'm sorry to hear about your DH having the same problem.... I'm glad he found hobbies and projects to keep his mind going instead of sobbing in his own world. That's the same with my BF, now that he is doing fun stuff again, he sets his mind to it and has a great time. But if he is alone for a couple of days he is sitting, thinking about life, and doesn't know what to do sometimes. So like yesterday he was really cranky and that is something that will stick the entire day and he can not get rid of it... Today he's fine again. Wow Marlena, didn't know it effected you too, sorry to hear that. It must be terrible. I've never experienced it BUT i've almost experienced a burn out. I was at the edge of it, and was constanly negative and didn't have energy to do anything after I came home from work I was so tired all the time and I really locked myself in the house basicely. So when I knew I got the new job I pulled myself out of that awfull black deep dark whole and luckely could, because sometimes you are already to deep in and you can''t get yourself out of there anymore without help from an outsider.
    It's hard all those 'mind problems' and most off the people around you don't seem to understand it because they don't see anything physically so they think you are exaggerating. That makes it even more frustrating.

Marlena likes this.
  34. Marlena

Very hot here too!
    Enjoy your days off my darling!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.