Baco on ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ruby&Baco, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I agree wit Rachel that the +2 is a food spike, not uncommon to see anywhere from 40 -60 points higher in the 2 hour after they ate. However, if you think that she ate some dry prior to two hours before testing, that could have made the number be higher.

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

No, she ate some dry food after her raw food and the shot... That's why I think the numbers are higher..

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh, I misunderstood. If she ate gain, within the plus +2 time, sure, that could have made her even higher that the normal food spike. I looked at the SS and her PMPS is 265 , correct? It is colored as Black and it should be colored yellow. Not sure what happened there. You can manually change the color to the correct color.

4. Ruby&Baco

Yes that is correct, but that's why I told earlier that the sheet is not working as from coloumn P as it is supposed to. So I hope someone can fix that. For now I will change it manually untill someone can fix it.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

I am not sure how to fix that. Glad you can change it. Perhaps @Rachel or @Sue and Oliver (GA) when either gets a chance can help you with that? I am not as tech savvy as Sue and Rachel. Until then you can just do it manually.

The other thing is that Baco could be bouncing a bit from enjoying those nice blues she got today. Her overall cycle was lower than she has had. No worries, as time goes on, she will get more and more used to being in lower ranges and the bouncing will minimize and /or stop.

6. Ruby&Baco

tested her just again now +4 and she is even higher than at +2 (she didn't eat between +2 and +4, only a little raw food). Well I guess it is normal, like you said.
    I am going to bed now and we will see tomorrow how everything works out.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

The +4 is really the same as the +2 so no worries. Let's see how she does through this cycle. If you see this before you go to bed and you can get a test sometime between now and the AMPS, that would be helpful and give us more data for her. Sleep tight. :)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....not sure why she's running higher tonight. Give it some time. It may be the kibble...that can stay on board for a long time, causing higher numbers. If she doesn't usually eat it and is now, that could be the culprit.

Don't feel frustrated. Look at that gorgeous day cycle you had! I'll be very interested in what you get tomorrow morning!

You're doing a great job. I know you had reservations about twice a day shots but you've jumped right in and been willing to do what you need. Baco is so lucky to have you!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  9. Ruby&Baco

I will see how everything will go tomorrow. For now i'm of to bed! Thank you for your kind words @Rachel ! :)
    Can you maybe help with the sheet? I've posted about it in a couple posts back it's not working properly as from column P.

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

My guess is something you might have accidentally done on the US SS also wiped out the formatting. I can fix it but it will have to be tomorrow as we are leaving for the airport shortly to pick up relatives. I'm sorry.....

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks for helping out with the SS Marje. Ruby is sleeping now so AM is good.

12. Ruby&Baco

@Marje and Gracie thank you for helping out, i'm patient, so I will wait :) I'm awake right now :) early morning again haha. Baco had a BG 322 just now, that are numbers i like to see ;) she is eating now and will get her shot in a few moments.

Robin&BB likes this.
  13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I sent you a private message so look in your inbox:).

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  14. Ruby&Baco

Hi,

Today i've measured her at 322 then gave her food and then she got her shot. at +4 she was at 252 and at +6 (just now) at 275. How is that possible? she ate the same food like yesterday?
    In a half hour she normally gets dry food, but i'm thinking of not giving that to her, and instead giving her BARF again? just because if I give her dry food her BG will go up again.. How is it so different her BG from yesterday?

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Good Morning/ Afternoon Ruby! Baco's body is learning to work with the insulin and the food given. At this point in the game, you will see lots of fluctuations in her numbers. Do you know what the carb count is for her dry food. Dry food is usually a lot higher than the wet and that is why we recommend low carb wet food under 10%. Sometimes it is really hard to get a cat off the dry especially if they are dry food addicts. But since she eats the wet/raw really well, maybe she will be compliant. If you do decide not to give her the dry anymore, you will need to carefully monitor her as her numbers could go way down. So, do it on a weekend while you are there to check her often so you know she is safe.

Robin&BB likes this.
  16. Ruby&Baco

Thank you for the tips. I will give her today only wet food (because she really likes it) and during the week as from tomorrow i will let her eat her dry food (but just a little) in the moments that i'm not there! the dry food has 11% carbs. That's what I heard from the dutch forum and was recommended for Baco.

How long should i try this dose of insuline before i try something new (if her numbers don't drop?) do you have any idea?

17. Nederland

Nederland Member

We recommend wet food as much as possible, and low carb dry. The 11% (in dry matter) is the lowest we can get in The Netherlands. For caninsulin it is receommendable to have some carbs around nadir time in case the nadir is by accident very low. So just to be sure, many owners give that dry food at that time. We are not sure yet how it will be around nadir time with prozinc.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can't expect every cycle to make "sense" when compared with the previous one. Insulin is a hormone (think teenagers with their changing hormone levels from day to day). And everything else enters the picture - from the amount of food given to whether the bowel movement was a little hard or a little easy to whether a cat walked by the window this morning. We look for trends, rather than focusing on specific numbers (unless of course we are looking at high or low numbers at shot time or nadir)

Looking at Baco's spreadsheet, I see more yellows than pinks midcycle and some lovely blues (which could have caused a little bounce into the yellows yesterday.). But the tend is downward into better numbers.

One of the annoying sayings we have here is that this sugar dance is "a marathon not a sprint". It is so true!

Bobbie And Bubba and Robin&BB like this.
  19. Ruby&Baco

Hi Sue, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Thank you :) !
    Her numbers are going down again after her second shot today so that's nice to see.

20. Ruby&Baco

Goodmorning!
    I just tested Baco before eating and she is at 133.
    So now i'm supposed to wait for 15 minutes, without giving her food right? And test her again. But if she doesn't go up (without giving her food) i'm not giving her her dose right?
    Strange that she is that low in her numbers, maybe her pancreas is doing some work?

21. Ruby&Baco

I've talked to Jennie from the dutch forum about the low numbers today. Baco just ate some raw food and is even lower, 119. So i'm not going to give her a shot now.
    I would like to know from you how you feel about baco's numbers and not giving her her shot.

22. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

You did this correctly, Ruby; definitely too low to shoot! And that's a VERY good sign!!!:D (Appears that her pancreas is kicking in.) These #s are perfectly safe, as she did not get a dose of insulin this cycle. So we will see what BG# she give you at PMPS. Good work!:)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  23. Ruby&Baco

Hi Robin! Thanks ;)
    I hope it is her pancreas working again, that would be great. I can't imagine that it is the prozinc working longer, because she was much higher yesterday evening than just now. I'm really curious to test her when i get home! I'll let you know what her numbers are when i come home!

Robin&BB likes this.
  24. Robin&BB

Yes, that will be interesting to see ... if tonight's PMPS is a shootable #, you may need to reduce the dose somewhat (as per the ProZinc guidelines, as follows):

If one preshot is above 200 and shootable, and one preshot is too low to shoot, it probably means the dose is a little too high and lasting more than the usual 12 hours. Try reducing by at least .25 to see if you get two shootable preshot numbers (ideal) rather than one that is too high and one that is too low to shoot (not ideal).

25. Ruby&Baco

Oke so if it is above 200 (just a little bit) i shoot 0,75 instead of 1.0? And if she is in the yellow numbers? Then i just shoot the normal dose?

26. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a lovely preshot! We tend to think that the pancreas heals when numbers are under 250 or so, so perhaps the lower number jumped in because the insulin has been keeping numbers low enough to allow the pancreas to heal some.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  27. Bobbie And Bubba

Beautiful Ruby! Can't wait to see her PMPS!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  28. Ruby&Baco

29. Ruby&Baco

Hello everybody, just now i've tested Baco and she is at 299. Should i just give her her shot of 1IE or give her less and give her a shot of 0,75?

30. Robin&BB

Ruby, as her AMPS was too low to shoot - and your goal is to achieve a shootable # at both AMPS & PMPS, if she were my cat I would probably reduce tonight's dose some ... but first, please remind me: Are you using U100 syringes or U40 syringes?

31. Ruby&Baco

Im using the u40

32. Robin&BB

Ok; I would try to eyeball it down by about 0.25U - so you would be reducing Baco's dose tonight to about 0.75U. Someone else may have another opinion on this, but I'm going by the ProZinc protocols (which do recommend a small reduction in this type of situation).

33. Ruby&Baco

Oke so 0,75 tonight?
    And tomorrow (if she has the right # to shoot i give her 0,75 again?) not 1ie?

34. Robin&BB

Yes, that would be correct. And keep in mind that whenever there's a change in dose, it can take a few cycles for her to settle into that adjusted dose.;)

35. Ruby&Baco

Well what if she has really high # tomorrow? What do i do then?

36. Robin&BB

Generally, you would try holding the new dose for a few more cycles - is important not to be alarmed if her preshot #s wobble a bit. The most important thing is to keep her at a dose that prevents her from dropping too low during her cycles. (And she's responding really, really well, by the way!)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  37. Ruby&Baco

Okay I will give her 0,75 for a few cycles! Yeah i don't want her to get too low numbers! That would be scary!
    Yes she is really getting better i feel! It's working really well for her!

Robin&BB likes this.
  38. Robin&BB

Yes, I am so happy for you & Baco - you're doing a super job, Ruby!:bighug:

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  39. Nederland

Nederland Member

I'm being tested in The Netherlands. Thankfully I'm giving the same answers .... I'm learning ... A good way to learn like this, with an actual cat as learning material.

40. Ruby&Baco

Haha no you're not being tested ;) i just want to involve the dutch forum as well about everything I discuss on this forum ;)

Bobbie And Bubba and Robin&BB like this.
  41. Ruby&Baco

She dropped to 288 before eating just now... Still 0,75 right?

42. Bobbie And Bubba

Hey there Ruby, it's not surprising that she is higher since you skipped the AM dose. So, like Robin said reduce by .25 for her PM shot. And don't be surprised if she is a bit higher for a few cycles. It's like Robin said the goal is to get two shootable shots in a 12 hour period. Yes, shoot the .75

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  43. Bobbie And Bubba

You and Baco are doing great!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  44. Nederland

Nederland Member

That's hardly a drop in my opinion, I would shoot 0.75. But I'm still a student in this stuff ...

45. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, still shoot the .75.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  46. Ruby&Baco

Thanks @Bobbie And Bubba !
    I gave her a shot just now of 0,75. I'm anxious to know if she drops later tonight.

47. Bobbie And Bubba

Glad I just happened to pop on to the computer so you could get an answer ASAP. It always seems to work out that way, just in the nick of time. Have a good evening and I will be checking back later to see how it's going as I am sure Robin, Rachel, and Sue will peek in on you too.

48. Ruby&Baco

Thank you so much!
    I will test her in 1,5 hours, that will be +2 then. Hope her # are good ;)

49. Ruby&Baco

+3,5 right now at 202! Very nice.
    I'm not going to test her anymore because i'm to tired right now and need some sleep :(
    But i'm guessing she's in good # later on.
    Keep you posted tomorrow morning how her # are!

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Ruby, would you please start anew thread tomorrow? This one is getting long.

She is doing great! Requiring less insulin to stay in good numbers is a very good sign.

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree! You did great with the 0.75. I think it would be good to stick with that for a few days if it gives you a shootable preshot. I'm excited to see her preshot!

Yep, now that you're at 2 pages, it's time for a new thread. :)

52. Ruby&Baco

just delete this one you mean and make a new one with the same name?

btw she was at 374 this morning, then she eat, got her shot and threw up -_-
    later she ate a little, just before I went away for work, and I tested her +1 and she was at 338 so it's okay.
    My boyfriend will try to test her today, because I asked him if he would keep an eye on her because of the throwing up part..

53. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

No, keep this thread and just start a new one. That way, we can refer back to this one if we need the info, but we don't have to go through pages of info to get to your latest post. :)

Glad your boyfriend will keep an eye on her this morning!

54. Ruby&Baco

I made a new thread :) called part 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.