Baco OTJ update & question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ruby&Baco, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wanted to give an update. Baco is doing sooooo great!
    I test her random every other day, and just now (original +4) was a 50:D
    How great is that?!?!
    Still when I test her my heart drops because I'm still a little scared that she might give me a really high number and that this fairy tail is over:nailbiting: hihi.
    I know, I know, I need to have more confidence about the situation, but still!......

Hope you all are doing great.
    I'm almost online everyday and reading a lot of threads.

I'm doing great, just finished painting my house yesterday with my BF. We were exhausted but we've done it and my house looks pretty again. Fresh start in my vacation. Now I can relax!
    My BF is doing great btw, he's feeling much better so the 2 loves in my life (Baco and Vincent) are doing so great! Maybe they made a plan to both get well when the moment came that I had vacation! Haha:p

:bighug::kiss:

Sarah Smith and Dyana like this.
  2. Ruby&Baco

Oh btw, question. I've a strikt diet for Baco only raw food. She get's 160 grams now (5.648oz) but I still can't see real weight loss. I know it goes slow but i'm already trying this weight loss thing for almost 3 weeks (weighing her food and herself everyday) and she hasn't gone below 7kilo. Can someone help me a little with this? Am I doing this the right way? Am I giving to much food still?
    she doesn't get snacks, only when she gets tested she gets a dry fish or meat snack (0%carbs)
    You can find her weight loss sheet in the same sheet as her BG numbers in my signature. It's the third tab.
    Hope someone can advice me in this.
    She does come down a little but them goes up again, so I really don't get it... :banghead:

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Wonderful news Ruby! :joyful:I think it's normal for your heart to drop when testing Baco right now. I'm sure it feels like the meter is taking longer to show the reading than it ever did before but in time those feelings will pass and you will come to expect those beautiful numbers.

Doesn't it feel great when the house gets painted and everything looks so fresh and new?! And knowing you got it done so that you can now relax on your vacation, well that just make it even better. And now both Baco and Vincent are well, there's nothing to do but celebrate and enjoy that well deserved vacation. :D

As for diet, I'm afraid I don't have a lot of wisdom to offer as you are obviously being quite meticulous about Baco's food portions. Did anyone share this formula (13.6 X ideal weight in lbs. +70) with you for calculating calorie requirements? Of course even with this, it's a bit of guesswork because some cats are just naturally more lazy or active than others but this at least gives you a starting point.

I am a little curious as to why you weigh Baco everyday. With humans and I'm sure with our felines, weight is not constant due to fluid balance which can differ day to day. I'd try weighing her once a week and see if you then see any difference.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Ruby&Baco

Yeah the meter is taking longer to show me a number than usual, I feel.... :rolleyes: Hihi

It does feel great, a fresh start, quit my stupid #$%* job:mad:and having 3 weeks off and then I will start my new job. Loving it!:joyful:

I don't really understand the calculation, can you help me?
    So 13.6 x (5,5kilo) 12.1lbs = 164.56 and then + 70 right? So that makes 234,56. But what is this number? Because now she gets 160 grams a day that is 5.648oz. (you work with oz right?)

I weigh her everyday because i've got that recommended by @Robin&BB because a cat may only lose 1% of body fat a week so I have to monitor her everyday. So if she loses to quick we've got a problem...

5. Ruby&Baco

Oh and btw yeah Baco is a lazy cat. Always been. But when I play with her she loves to run!
    But I also got a small house so she isn't really running because of the lack of space.

6. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

So thrilled for you that Baco and Vincent are doing well.
    As for the house painting and decorating it is a nice feeling of actually achieving something so well done.
    With weight - I don't know. Rocky lost most while he was uncontrolled diabetic but it is really hard to get him to loose weight.
    What do you think Baco's ideal weight would be? Rocky is a very large cat and now weights 6.2 kg (down from 7.8kg) and I would like him to weigh 5.7 kg so 0.5 kg to loose. If I want to try that I would give him 2% of his weight in grams so it would be 114 grams of food daily. It is unbelievably small amount! At the moment he gets 3% which is 171 grams and I'm going to weigh him tomorrow.
    I think you don't need to weigh Baco everyday, just once a week would be just fine.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  7. Marlena

Ruby, that calculation Linda gave you is based on weight in pounds (America) and gives you result in calories not the weight of food.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Ruby&Baco

Well Baco also lost weight a lot because of the diabetes. She went from 7.5kg (1 months before the diagnose) to 6.3kg at the moment she was diagnosed. BUT she got back up to now 7.2kg (today). The vet told me when she was diagnosed that Baco will put on some weight because she lost a lot of muscle because of the diabetes, so what she gained isn't fat. And that is true because although the scale says 7.2kg, she definitely lost weight. I can see it at her paws and neck.
    But her ideal weight will be 5KG (she is a small cat) but for now lets start to get her to 5.5kg
    So she needs to lose 1.7kg now.
    Sooooooo how am I going to achieve that...
    She gets only raw good and she gets 160 grams.

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

You are using pre-packaged raw food right? Somewhere on the package it should have the number of calories in a certain amount of food. You'd have to do another calculation to determine how many grams of food that would be equivalent to. That's assuming your packaging details are the same as ours!:)

I know we don't want our kitties losing too quickly but with weight naturally fluctuating daily, I'm not convinced that daily weighing is necessary. Maybe weighing every 2 or 3 days and take the middle road? I think the trick is to be patient and slowly reduce intake until you get to the amount that is producing the small weight loss each week rather than abruptly reducing intake. This is just my own humble opinion because I too am trying to get my girl to lose some weight and not meeting with much success but I'm dealing with a cat on a large dose of insulin which I think also contributes to the weight issue to some degree.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  10. Ruby&Baco

Ohhhh okay, didn't know that!

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ruby, if Baco is regaining her muscle mass, remember that muscles weighs more than fat so perhaps she is losing fat but you just aren't seeing it on the scales.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  12. Ruby&Baco

Well, the thing is, Baco already gets less then is adviced. On the package is sayed 30 to 40 grams PER KG of the weight of the cat. So with Baco that should mean she should get 210grams a day. So the calculation with Baco's calories and how much she should get is already lower than is recomended.

And yes it's pre packed raw food

13. Ruby&Baco

Yes well that was what I was thinking, only she should go down to 5.5kg hahahaha :p

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

Does the package tell you how many calories in X number of grams of food? The problem with package recommendations is that the manufacturer wants to sell as much of their food as they can and who knows how they came up with that recommendation! If I fed any of my cats what the package recommendations are, they'd be the size of bobcats and definitely overweight and one of my furballs has ADHD so bad he's like the energizer bunny!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  15. Ruby&Baco

Hahahaha laughed so hard at your comment about bobcats hahahaha:p
    No it doesn't say that. They don't tell you how many calories there are in there. See here a picture. They only tell you what is in it. Not how many calories.

Attached Files:

16. Marlena

Ruby, I too quit my $*&"+ ... job 2 weeks ago as I had enough as it was making me miserable. I decided I was going to have THE WHOLE SUMMER off! Sod it!
    I'm so enjoying my life at the moment and recovering from stress induced illness - never again will I put up with s..t like that. I'm guessing you went through similar experience. These days you don't have value as a human being, your only value is how much money you can generate for your company!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  17. Marlena

Ruby, you're doing a good job with Baco's diet but remember to go slow with this. Still can't see the point of weighing every day, give yourself a break.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  18. Ruby&Baco

Wow Marlena, that's hard yeah it is!
    Well I worked at a fashion company as a inventory merchandiser. This department was set up by me and my co worker, it didn't excist at the company (something you really need in a company, but okayo_O) so we did everything for the fashion bullies to get them enough money and made sure the stuff did sell. But we also worked in the office WITH those people. It was like the devil wears prada movie. Can you imagine how harsh they were? I wasn't a size zero and I didn't wear designer clothes and stuff like that, so was like my co worker an outsider. And i'm 27, I know I'm a fun girl/woman to be around and I dress nice classy and i'm a grown *ss woman and I don't have time for this high school drama. So I decided to quit after almost 2 years working there. They were exploiting me, making long days and didn't get money for those hours. I wanted a raise, didn't get it. So after Baco's diagnose I decided this is it i'm done they don't understand that I needed to take care of my diabetic cat, they were like 'oh you got a diabetic cat? Okay... Can you do this or that for me?' The didn't care about it... So after that I looked around and found a really nice company around the corner and pays more! So i'm going to be a supply chain coördinator in 2 weeks! At Ricoh (you know them? They make printers)
    So it isn't a f*cking fashion stuck up company for me anymore pfff. Finally after 2 years i'm free and I can be myself again!
    My gosh, I did starve myself at one point because I wasn't feeling comfortable in my own skin, THAT'S SICK! And I'm not fat or something like that but let say, i'm fun to be around and I like to eat;)! So I constantly need to pay attention to my weight my whole life otherwise I will get fat. But when I was working there I wouldn't eat anything.... Pfff
    Soooo happy I quit, best decision off my life :joyful:

Rachel and Marlena like this.
  19. MrWorfMen's Mom

It doesn't look like they provide caloric information at all. I just checked the website and can't find it there either (at least I don't think it's there! I don't speak/read Dutch!) You could contact the manufacturer and ask for that information. They should be able to tell you.

20. Marlena

Go girl!
    You're worth more than that.
    Sending hugs to you with all my heart.:bighug:

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  21. Ruby&Baco

No it isn't on there website you are correct @MrWorfMen's Mom ;) they don't have to put it on there products in the Netherlands, crazy right?
    I will contact them!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  22. Ruby&Baco

Thanks Marlena. Hope you will relax in your vacation time this summer. Do you got a new job already or will you look for one later at the end of summer?

Marlena likes this.
  23. Ruby&Baco

Btw Marlena, the stress, same here!
    I got physical problems, dizzy, didn't want to eat, couldn't sleep. I was so busy in my head with work... Pff. It can really effect you so much!

Marlena likes this.
  24. Ruby&Baco

Baco doesn't let me clean my house. I just went to sit on the couch for a moment and chat with you guys, and this is what she does..... :facepalm:

Attached Files:

Marlena likes this.
  25. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ruby, it sounds like you made a very wise decision to exit that company. I love the comparison to "The Devil Wears Prada". I personally felt like I was working on a Borg ship (from Star Trek) in my last job. "You will comply" was the common phrase even if what they wanted done was useless, stupid and in some cases against labour laws. I took flight when the labour legalities came into play because as a manager, I wasn't going to "comply" and put my *#ss on the line.

Marlena and Ruby&Baco like this.
  26. MrWorfMen's Mom

I don't pull out my vacuum nearly as often as I should because it terrorizes the furkids. And when they jump on your lap to keep you from doing housework, it's all good and so much more fun!:D

27. Ruby&Baco

Yeah I did, well it really was like that movie hahaha! It was soooo un human to work there.
    Those girls and boys who are designers there are only busy with parties, drinking, how they look and stuff like that, I don't have problems with that I do that also but I have also a lot of other things going on in my life. Those people were my age, I think i'm just a little more mature than them I guess and at another level. So I don't judge them, but I find it's not the right company/industry for me.

Linda, you did the right thing also! Don't let them ^#%* you over! Pfff.
    Did you find something new?

28. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Ruby, the only reason I recommended weighing daily was to make certain that the reduction you made in the amount of food was not making her lose weight TOO rapidly. Once you know that the reduced amount isn't causing her to drop excess weight too quickly, it's fine to only weight every few days. If you see slight fluctuations in the weight shown on the scale, I wouldn't worry all that much about it.

29. Ruby&Baco

Hahaha well I've got the same here! Baco and Minnie are terrified of the vacuum cleaner! But it has to be done otherwise my house looks like a pig farm hahaha:rolleyes:

30. Ruby&Baco

Yeah that's what I thought but she is still not on a good amount of food I find so I think that I still need to do it for now untill she is dropping a little in weight and then I can weigh her every 3 to 4 days.

Aren't you still a sleep? :smuggrin:

31. MrWorfMen's Mom

No Ruby. I never went back to work. I took the summer off with the intention of revisiting employment the next autumn but then family illness made it vritually impossible for me to go back to work and I retired but spent considerable time looking after elderly parents and a sister-in-law who has Down Syndrome. While that certainly wasn't fun most of the time, it was considerably better than the office politics!

Marlena likes this.
  32. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Marlena , Enjoy that summer off! You'll feel so much better after a break!

Ruby&Baco and Marlena like this.
  33. Marlena

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  34. Marlena

No, I don't have a job at the moment, I will think about it later.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  35. Ruby&Baco

That good Marlena, you and Rocky are number 1 and the other stuff will come later!

36. Marlena

Rocky is exactly the same!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  37. Ruby&Baco

I'm sorry to hear that Linda.
    Hope everything did fall in place later on.
    Down syndrome isn't fun indeed (my brother 21 is similair to that) but they are most of the times a lot of fun to be around and really are happy in life with the little things.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  38. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ruby, I coach Special Olympics Curling and you are so right! They are happy souls who get enjoyment out of the simplest of things. We can all learn a lot from them, like stopping to smell the roses! :D

Ruby&Baco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.