Baco update -> feeling discouraged

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ruby&Baco, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Here again an update. She was doing great the last 2 weeks and was losing weight and staying under that 7KG mark (15.40lbs) But as of today she's gone up from 6,92kg (15.22lbs) to 7.04kg (15.49lbs) I can't imagin that that is a number 2 she needs to drop....quick.... that is way to heavy for a number 2.
    I don't get why she goes up so quick! that's a lot of weight in 1 day... how is this possible? She still gets the same amount of food, you can check my SS for her weight data... I get so freaking frustrated because she was doing so well the last 2 weeks staying under that 7KG mark but now all of a sudden she's back above it...
    Should I, if she doesn't come down, again decrease the calorie intake? She's getting 188.80 calories a day right now and that's for a cat that should weight 4KG (8.80lbs) Should I then again decrease it to a cat that should weight 3.5KG? (7.7lbs)?
    She was doing so well and I still play with her every other day so it's not like we don't do that anymore...
    I'm so discouraged:(

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...is she getting the same KIND of food every day? Do the flavors change often? I'm not sure if that would cause weight gain, but it's a thought.

3. Ruby&Baco

She gets raw food everyday but the flavors indeed change every maybe 3 days. I switch them up because hey we wouldn't like to eat the same meal for 3 months would we? ;)
    So yes they change, and some are higher in calories than others but I do change the grams if needed. So for example she gets from flavor A 124 grams a day, but flavor B contains more calories so then she gets 115 grams of it, do you know what I mean?
    So it shouldn't be causing her to gain weight considering the fact that she gets the same calorie intake everyday.....

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Are you weighing her at the same time each day? And has she pooped yet today? If you are giving her calories for a cat that should weight 8.80 lbs and she is 15.49 it seems odd. Have you had her thyroid checked lately?

5. Ruby&Baco

@Bobbie And Bubba

Yes she gets 2 weight moments to be precise.
    7:30AM and 7:30PM (sometimes it does turn out to be a little off scedule but mostely these times)

What should I let her get checked at? Her thyroid has been checked I think at the diagnose when her bloodwork was done... But not after that? What should I ask my vet then?

It's weird right? 8.80 lbs cat food and the cat that weights 15.49 doesn't lose weight!

6. Ruby&Baco

Oh and no not pooped yet, i'm home today and havent noticed a 'funny' smell yet haha

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Ruby,
    I wonder whether a full bladder can affect her weight? One link I found with a vet replying to a question said that their bladder can hold from 150 to 300 mL of urine. If that's true, then 150 mL of urine could add about 150 g (0.15 kg) to her number when you weigh her. I'm basing that on urine being like plain water where 1.0 mL weighs 1.0 g. Just an idea ...

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Ruby&Baco

Wow! Great comment Kris, that can be it indeed! I will weigh her tonight to make sure that that weight is going down, she normally will pee once or twice a day so she should be 'empty' tonight I hope! Hopefully that's it because I couldn't figure out why she gained so much in 1 day it's crazy!

9. Kris & Teasel

Also, you're trying to keep Baco's weight losses small to keep her safe. If her weight goes up or down a bit because of urine, etc. that could cancel out a loss you hope to see on the scale. I think you'll feel better if you look at this as a long term project, over a year or so. When I look at the numbers for Baco's weight loss on her SS, I see a gradual downward trend since you began. The trend is the important thing because with such careful small losses, one number can fool you into thinking you're not making progress. It's like looking at BG numbers! Patience is the key! :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  10. Ruby&Baco

It is indeed a long periode of time this weight loss game. But it's discourged me so much when I saw her weight this morning! It looked like I could start all over again you know?
    She was doing so great being under that 7kg! And now to see her above it it is not nice too see..

11. Kris & Teasel

Here's something: people who are trying to lose weight are sometimes told to weigh themselves only once a week. That way, they're more likely to see progress and not get upset by one number that's higher. You could do an experiment with Baco and try weighing her only once or twice a week for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile you keep doing what you're doing with her food and exercise. Maybe she'll surprise you with a more obvious downward trend.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Just needing to poop could cause the weight to be higher. After she does poop, weigh her a see what she is. As far as the thyroid, not sure what the test is called but it is a separate test than the other blood work I believe unless they do a "senior panel" and then the thyroid is included.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  13. Alexi

Alexi Member

Like humans it all comes down to calories in (food) vs. calories out (exercise and activity). Just as sedentary people need fewer calories for weight maintenance than active people, the same applies to cats. The calorie recommendations are based on the 'average' cat - have no idea what that is as I've never owned one...

So, another small reduction in calories, try to increase activity levels (and she will become more active as she loses weight) and weigh once a week and re-evaluate.

As a comparison - a human who has a sedentary lifestyle can manage on less than 2000 kcal, but if that same human is crossing the Antarctic on foot then 6000 kcal may not be enough, so the 'average' does not apply.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Ruby, if you have the "nose" for it, you could take a typical poop out of Baco's litterbox and weigh it - tissue or piece of paper on the scale first!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  15. Ruby&Baco

Ok, she just pooped and she is back at 6.93kg (15,25lbs)!!! Omg that must have been a heavy poop, hahahahahaha! :woot: So i was worrying for nothing basically I guess! I just couldn't imagine that miss diva her poop would weigh that much! Well I would never imagine myself being happy about her poop:nailbiting::oops:

image.jpeg

Marlena and Sharon14 like this.
  16. Ruby&Baco

But thanks you guys, for thinking about it for me and giving tips and advise! I'm so lucky to have you around to support me and of course Baco! I was already thinking about what @Bobbie And Bubba said that maybe something was wrong with her thyroid... But luckely it wasn't!

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Yeah for a good poop!!!!!! Ruby, that is why it might be better to just go with a once a week weigh otherwise it can make you anxious. Glad that was all it was.!!!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  18. Ruby&Baco

Well yes Bobbie you are right but i'm still too scared that Baco will drop too much weight in a week and get that liver situation you know? That's why I can't really let go of this routine... :( I think I just needs to to this for a week or 2 and if I see that this is not a way that she's is dropping too quick then I will start weighing her once a week.

19. Kris & Teasel

OMG I love that photo of Baco on the scale!! Amazing how heavy a large poop is, isn't it?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  20. Ruby&Baco

Well now I know for sure that her poop is really heavy (for the next time that she's gaining again)
    Maybe her poop will also lose weight if she loses weight?! Hahaha that's a good thing to think about don't you think? :woot:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  21. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Baco is so cute. Thanks for sharing her picture and not a picture of the poop :p.

I applaud your efforts. Years ago, one of mine went over 20 lbs. and her ideal weight is probably around 11-12 lbs. I got her down to 15 lbs and she really plateaued there no matter what I tried. She now weighs around 12 lbs at 14 1/2 years old. She taught me the lesson that free feeding high carb dry is a bad idea! Luckily, she never got diabetes. She's the reason most of my cats eat a low carb wet food diet.

Sharon14 and Ruby&Baco like this.
  22. Ruby&Baco

Haha I would never share a picture of her poop Kristen:stop: hahaha that would be too much!

Thanks for sharing that story! I would also won't do this all over again when I get myself new kitties in the future! They will get all raw food diet without free feeding for life!

AbyResq likes this.
  23. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

I just love that picture!!!:):):)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.