BCP u-40, what syringes do I use? Confused...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by jeanice, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello all,
    In one of my recent posts members suggest I switch from using u-100 PZI to u-40 as I am microdosing and it is virtually impossible to measure correctly. I have been using pretty much expired PZI and do have a sample on its' way at this time. In the sticky I read that continuing to use u-100 would allow for more efficient dosing with u-40 solutions, then later read to use the same syringe size as insulin. Can someone let me know which makes more sense. I don't know conversions, but if I need to order syringes I would like to order them later today when I put in my order for u-40 insulin with the vet. If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated. The microdosing I am doing right now with the u-100 is not working and I don't want to let Shadow hover barely under 300 for much longer. I have been shooting at 230 and up with .25 units and getting a 90 point drop around 4 and then nothing. Not sure if it is the insulin or the insufficient microdoses that are the culprit. Thanks in advance.
    Jeanice and Shadow

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

You can continue to use the u100 syringes with the u40 insulin, you just need to use the conversion chart here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm For example, if you want to give 1.0u of u40 insulin, you would draw to the 2.5u line on the u100 syringe.

Regarding your current insulin: If the 0.25u dose isn't working, try increasing it to 0.5u. You should see an improvement within 3-4 cycles if the dose is better....if not, then you can increase again.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Jeanice, I did'nt even know pzi came in both strengths's. would you mind sharing where you get your free sample from?
    Lori

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

5. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hi Lori,
    Just google BCP, the PZI sample is for the U-100 strength. I have this sample on the way but did call the vet and she is supposed to be having them call me as she said if they deal directly with me it is cheaper. On the site it says that they have u-40 and u-50 available. It makes more sense to me when dosing so low to just get a more diluted version as other suggested..much appreciated suggestion btw. BCP also sells the u-40 syringes and will ship to your door :)
    Tonight I shot .5 u of the u-100 at 257 on shadow... so far so good, but he is only 3 hours in. I think it is different this time around, I don't see his pancreas attempting a jumpstart just yet...

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the places that do their own compounding, like BCP, can make it in different strengths, vs. PZI Vet or ProZinc where I guess it's more of a factory one-size-fits-all dealy.

Many of us use U-40 insulin with the U-100 syringes with 1/2 unit markings and the conversion chart. It makes life WAY easier!!!! With the U40 syringes and a U40 insulin you can still guesstimate the microdoses and it's probably easier than U100 insulin with U100 syringes, but still it's just guesswork. Of course the vets generally want you to use the same syringe size as insulin, which makes sense of course, but as long as you have the conversion chart and are clear on how to use it, it's a really good thing IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.