Bear is No longer in remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bear and Julie, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

After bears last blood workup we found that he has ckd, so I tried k/d food plus weruva. He's been eating both with the help of an appetite stimulant. Today I come home and my husband told me that Bear was stumbling around and after tim left for work it got worse and then it dawned on me to check his sugars BG, it was 366. So I ended up giving him 1 unit prozinc. So I will check it again in 1-1/2 hours. This is frustrating.
    @Chris & China (GA) @Marje and Gracie

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXCayGjbiIAw6vqVGHxbg4xHUj9XUUkM/view?usp=drivesdk

2. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

@Chris & China (GA) , will Bears body recognize the insulin or is it being reintroduced back into his system?

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Julie I am sorryBear has fallen out of remission.
    The k/d food is high carb and is probably what has sent the BGs up.
    There are other low carb foods that are low phosphorus that may be more suitable for Bear. Look for foods that are 250-200mg phosphorus/ 100kcals amd low carb
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Marje is not online much at the moment so may not see your tag. I am in Australia and use different values for testing so am no help with the path results and staging what Bear is up to, but I’ll tag @tiffmaxee, she may be able to help there. Did they say what stage the CRD was? Unless it is late stage, it is better to feed the foods I mentioned above.

4. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

Were you able to view his lab results link? All I know is she wanted to try thr k/d to try and help bring his values down.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It looks like at least stage 2 and maybe 3. No urinalysis?

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

I've been going bear Weruva, I believe @JanetNJ recommended it to me. I'll stick with the Weruva. I didn't think that would happen so fast. The science side needs to accommodate for both kidneys and pancreas.
    I took a urine sample to her a week later and she said it was diluted. Ill call tomorrow and ask for them to email me the results. I originally took him in for his yearly check-up and asked them to do a full panel and she didn't get the results til the next morning.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You might like to ask the vet about giving subQFluids at home

8. tiffmaxee

I as hoping a UTI might be responsible for the rise in kidney values but it sounds like it’s not so.

9. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

Not this time, will his body recognize the insulin or will it be like starting over?
    I'm not sure about that, he's over 18 and I'm not sure i want to put him through it.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Giving sub Q fluids is quick and not awful for the cat. Sheba just sat there and let me do it. You would have to get the OK from the vet and make sure Bears heart is OK before starting the fluids, but it can make a difference to the lab numbers and I’m sure he would feel better.

with the insulin, you will just have to wait and see how he goes. His body will recognise it is insulin but we don’t know how he will react to it. Remember ECID:rolleyes:

Bear and Julie and tiffmaxee like this.
  11. tiffmaxee

Max was fine with fluids as well. He waited for his after fluids treat.

12. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

What is ECID again?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Every Cat is Different

Bear and Julie likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Definitely stage 2 ckd. I wouldn't use the kd food... stick with weruva foods. Your cat's phospherous isn't too high, but you don't want it going any higher. Just add lots of extra water to the food. Does your cat seem to be walking weird, like on his haunches? I'm wondering if the stubbling is a bit of neuropathy. I would add b12 meth supplements to the food. It's good for neuropathy, but also with CKD they tend to flush out their nutrients with all the extra peeing, and that can lead to anemia. Right now yoru cat's blood levels look ok. Wanna keep that going though. There's a great cat CKD group on facebook called Cats with Chronic Renal Failure.

Meeja's Mom likes this.
  15. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

He was walking funny but not on his hauches, it was more of a stumble. I gave him 1 unit prozinc last night, he's doing much better this morning.
    They emailed me the urinalysis, here's the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yzLPY6mWWSmVohzH0yommXwX5uwIcf5/view?usp=drivesdk

16. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

He was walking funny but not on his hauches, it was more of a stumble. I gave him 1 unit prozinc last night, he's doing much better this morning.
    Lab update

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yzLPY6mWWSmVohzH0yommXwX5uwIcf5/view?usp=drivesdk

17. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

I updated bears spreadsheet. His BG was at 90, so we did a "no shoot" this morning.

18. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

I picked up the SubQ for Bear from the vet today. I'll start him once a week then twice a week. I got him freeze dried tiny shrimp for the bribe to take his SubQ without fussing at me. :cat::cat::cat:

19. Bear and Julie

Bear and Julie Member

I'm not sure if I did the SubQ right. Is the fluid suppose to pool up in the under the skin at the injection site, because it did? I'll try again Wednesday night.

20. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yep. They will have a camel hump for a few hours until it gradually absorbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.