? Benny AMPS 452 +2 344, then blue,curve questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-11-benny-pmps-327-2-140-3-75-3-5-119.261910/

It is curve day for my dear Benny. He is doing all right except for the look of barely-contained rage on his face when I do the BG test. He will kill me in my sleep one of these days. But I'm okay with that today, because his ranges during the day have been almost all in blue:

+2: 344
    +4: 181
    +6: 162
    +8: 194
    +10: 135

This is amazing given the sea of black in his SS.

Can someone confirm for me:
    1. Should I feed him now, at +10, then withhold food for 2 hours before the PMPS? I assume that will allow me to properly gauge his insulin dose based on the PMPS?
    2. Should I do a +2 (or other number?) after his insulin dose?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Nice curve. Yes you can feed a little lc at +10. Then if the pmps isn’t super low fir him a +2 is good.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Benny must be feeling so much better with actual colours on his spreadsheet. :)

Have you decided on a dosing method yet? Now that he's out of the blacks, it's time to think about it. That 75 yesterday would have you reduce to 2.75 units if you were following SLGS, but stick with 3.0 units if following TR for dosing.

4. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I hope he is feeling better. He has not acted really sick since this started, though, so it is hard to tell.

Do you know whether one method is more likely to result in remission? I know remission is by no means a great likelihood, but I'd like to try for it.

Right now I'm following his vet's advice until I can talk with her about using one of the methods. She will be in tomorrow so I'll talk to her about it. Her instructions were to halve the dose if BG was 250 or less. I don't think the meter is that precise, so I halved the dose last night and this morning.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

TR has higher odds of achieving remission, because cats on it spend more time in green numbers which help the pancreas heal. That isn't to say that SLGS doesn't have success, it does too. We tell people that they should consider both their goals for their cat, as well as their lifestyle and ability to monitor when choosing a dosing method.

Your vet's suggestions are nothing like what we follow here. So we'll be unable to help with dosing decisions if you stick with what the vet suggests. If you decide to do that, just put dosing per vet in your signature. We'll still be able to help you with lots of other questions, just not dosing.

One thing you will have to get used to over time, shooting lower numbers means flatter cycles. You've seen Benny drop over 200 points when he start with a preshot in above 300. When you shoot lower numbers like blues, the drop is a lot less. Eventually people even end up shooting green numbers, once they have the experience and data to do so. When I gave insulin with Neko in the 80's, she often didn't move more than 10 points the entire cycle. You aren't there yet, but hopefully one day.

6. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Thanks, Wendy. I plan on moving into TR or SLGS; I don't anticipate the vet being unhappy with that once she sees Benny's numbers. I just want to go over it with her. As always, I appreciate your help and learn so much from you!

7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

nice blues for Benny! I'm afraid you may need to be ready to see those blacks again with that massive dose reduction though, dosing adjustments here are typically .25 to .5U at most