? Best feeding times

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by puppy8910club, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Currently on 0.5 of Canisulin x 2 (twice a day)

Just to verify feeding. Providing I am feeding a 10%< carbs should I stick to 2 feeds a day (AM / PM ) With injections or can I just “free” feed / add in extra meals ?

What would work for my work would be

5.30 AM Feed then Inject (main meal)

5.30 PM Feed and Inject (main meal)

Few 100% chicken treat like Thrive ? 7-8pm ?

Later in evening maybe 9-10 feed ? (Smaller amount )

Trying to ensure if I should add in more feeds or stick to ONLY 2 ?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

Most of us feed our diabetics more than twice a day (there are some folks who don't). And quite a few of us free-feed our kitties.
    Newly diagnosed kitties can be quite ravenous because their bodies aren't able to utilise all food they're eating. So that's another reason why feeding more than twice a day can be helpful.
    If possible, the only time not to feed (for those kitties who are hometested) is a couple of hours prior to each insulin shot. That's because it's best if the pre-shot blood test isn't influenced by food.

With Caninsulin it can be helpful to ensure the kitty gets a snack (or part of it's main meal) an hour or two after the insulin shot. That's because Caninsulin can drop the blood glucose quite fast in some kitties, and the extra food can help to slow that drop. Are you able to leave some food out for Winston when you go to work?

Oh, and Thrive treats are just fine. :)

FYI; you may get more (and faster) responses if you post on the main health forum. The Caninsulin/Vetsulin forum isn't getting a lot of traffic at the moment. ;)

Eliz

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also, with the faster drop in glucose from Caninsulin, feed about 30 minutes before you shoot. This helps reduce bouncing, where the sudden glucose drop triggers hormones to release stored glucose (glycogen) which pops the glucose up even higher than you started, for up to 3 days.

4. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Also the vet said I MUST stop feeding him & Only the twice a day routine. She said that If I feed him when the insulin is at its peak it will only keep the levels higher when give him more food and we need his level to drop so he can retain the food / energy as he is still loosing more and more weight ?

Is this true? She said although he loosing weight and you feel its right to feed him more meals, that’s actually making things worse until he is at a settled level ????

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We've had experienced users who compiled and wrote up these guidelines: Vetsulin Guide. See what you think.
    If you feed 2/3 of the meal about 30 minutes before you shoot, and feed 1/3 of the meal about +2.5, it buffers the harsh drop and smooths it out.
    Its up to you how you want to do it. Testing will show what works for your cat. And that could wind up being different from both the guide and what your vet says.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  6. Sheila Chaffecombe

Sheila Chaffecombe New Member

We feed Oscar 3x daily with prescription wet food. I give him his insulin (Caninsulin) when he's 3/4 way through eating. Is this the right way to do it? At his third feeding (supper) he's given 1/2 a glyburide pill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.