BG and cat stress

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mikey’sDad, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Ok . Today I had horrific issues with blood glucose, the ReliOn monitor seemed to not read the strips and I had to prick Mikey 6 times to get his PMPS which soared from 123 this afternoon to 396. Could the stress that the cat being stuck 6 times cause the BG to soar.
    I can’t tell you how frustrated this ear prick is for me. This ReliOn meter sucks and not impressed with the Prime strips either. The poor cat often is jabbed 12 times a day! Help

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

How long did it take you to get the reading? Stress does affect blood sugar, but I don’t think it’s quite that quick of a process, although I’m not sure of the specific time frame. It could be that maybe he dropped a little lower after the 129 and bounced or maybe just bouncing from the lower numbers he’s been seeing lately.

As for the testing issues, what size lancet are you using? The Prime meter is a little finicky at times if you’re not used to using it. Most people use it because it’s the most affordable and reliable option, but there are other meters as well if you’re not liking the Prime!

3. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

It took me about 10 minutes and after 5 pricks he was not happy.
    I have been using 33 ReliOn Lancets and tonight I bought 28 at Walgreens. Maybe that will help. This afternoon was his lowest number since he started s month ago. I just talked to the vet and she was pleased and then to have this bounce? Is that normal with this disease. I am real new and love this site. I may get a better meter next week

Thanks,
    Tom

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

10 minutes is likely too short of time frame for the stress to have an effect, so probably something else going on. Yes, bounces are normal! A lot of time our kitties have been diabetic and in high numbers for a little while before we notice and get a diagnosis, so when they start seeing normal numbers again their bodies can panic. In some cats this settles down once they start seeing normal BG numbers more regularly :cat:

I definitely think the 28g lancets will help! 33g is super thin so that may have been part of the frustration

5. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I will keep you posted. I think I get more frustrated than the cat because I feel so guilty jabbing him so many times.
    Thanks for the bounce information, as I have heard this before, but I don’t want to contribute to Mikey’s stress although he is a pretty laid back guy. I will try the 28 when I get numbers later

6. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Yea!!!!! His reading was 165 and the 28 size did the track and he was calm and serene

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  7. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Excellent to hear! :cat:

8. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

If there is an instance when your cat has elevated BG readings due to stress (fireworks or vet) then it can take 3 hours to clear.

The 28 size is more comfortable - good news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.