BG meter reading : High Ascorbate! Faulty test strip.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melinda and Kitkat, Jan 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

This morning my meter reading at amps said "high ascorbate, contact your pysician". Is this applicable to felines or is it something for human blood chemistry? First time I've seen this reading.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've never seen anyone bring this up before. I did a search and apparently, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplementation can throw numbers off. It seems like this has come up with the Accu-chek meter. I somehow doubt that you're giving your cat vitamin C though.

Do you have control solution for your meter? If not, call the manufacturer and ask about the reading.

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  3. Melinda and Kitkat

Thankyou Sienne, I will do a followup with the manufacturer, (and check into a control solution). Google search brought up "accuchek error#12 high ascorbate, but no further info about it.
    And nope, he's never jumped up on the counter and eaten our oranges. lol. I will post my findings. He is not on any nutritional suppliments.

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it either. Did you eat an orange just before you tested?
    Did you take a second test?
    Test yourself.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Red has a point -- could your hands have been contaminated from handling citrus?

6. Melinda and Kitkat

nope. no oranges/ etc. retested 5 minutes later and a result. on the phone right now with accuchek.... uno momento :cat::cat:

7. Melinda and Kitkat

now on hold with my vet;)

8. Melinda and Kitkat

checked myself, 7.1

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  9. Melinda and Kitkat

Ok, from AccuChek... elevated ascorbate can occur after recent IV fluids,surgeries, vitimin supplimentation, or as Red mentioned citrus contaminant on skin surface..was very helpful until I mentioned it was my cat...... she couldnt get off the phone quick enough (Not Pet Approved, goodbye) ,,, lol, its the same BG meter my vet uses.
    Vet followup: almost 100% certain it applies to human blood chemistry, not tested in cats in typical labwork. They will float this question around the other vets, and no news means good news, possible meter error, If there is something to it they will call me back. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Reason for edit: a few additional points
  10. Melinda and Kitkat

Also, they said they cannot send me a control solution (cause I'm testing a CAT!) :banghead:

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Unfortunately, never tell people it's for a cat, dog, ferret -- you get the picture. Which, in the grand scheme of things is stupid. Just think how much money they make with us buying strips.

12. Melinda and Kitkat

consensus of 9 from the vet clinic (4 vets) and her quick call to their lab, confirms it was a faulty test strip. (having ruled out citrus contamination and dietary suppliments) .Mystery solved :bookworm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.