BG Testing - how often

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessica & furbaby Indie, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

I just started my kitty on insulin Wednesday night. I have only done bg testing before each insulin shot which is twice a day. Is that enough? I will also ask my vet but thought would ask here as well to get a 2nd opinion.

Will try to do the spreadsheet. Currently I log it in a journal. Assuming I can complete the spreadsheet from my phone I will get that going soon.

Meanwhile, will type here her readings:

Wed PM 398
    Thurs AM 321
    Thurs PM 365
    Fri AM 350
    Fri PM 284
    Sat AM 322
    Sat PM 286

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's the Instructions for the FDMB spreadsheet.....there are specific instructions for using them with phones/tablets close to the bottom

Yes, it's important to ALWAYS test before shooting so you make sure they're high enough to give insulin at all, but it's also important to get tests during the cycle.

Lantus dosing is based on how LOW it takes them, so if at all possible, it's important to get a mid-cycle test on the AM cycle (around +5 to +7 which is 5 to 7 hours after the morning shot) and a "before bed" test on the PM cycle. Most cats go lower at night, so it's really important to get that test to keep Indie safe overnight

2 units is really a pretty high starting dose.....we usually start them around 1 unit

What kind of food is Indie eating?

How much does she weigh?

3. Jessica & furbaby Indie

I was afraid you would say that. Why don't vets tell us this?! Thank you for letting me know.

Night testing I can do but day during week is impossible as I am gone from exactly the time I give her her shot at 7:30am till I get home at 7:30pm. And barely make it in time for that. (I should mention while I am not home my sister is here all day as she is my grandmothers caregiver during the day and my grandma lives with me. And all have been made aware of of the hypo signs and know where the karo syrup is and the ER vet # :) I am obsessed with my babies. Anyone who comes here is immediately schooled on all things kitty With that said, my Indie girl would never let my sister do a bg test on her, unfortunately.)
    I can definitely test her now at +4....

...Just tested and she was 348.

Thanks for the spreadsheet link. I must get that going.

She weighs 14.4 lbs. And is now eating about 8 oz of Purina DM canned food a day. She also eats about a handful of Purina DM dry food.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. Chris & China (GA)

The DM dry is too high in carbs for a diabetic .....the canned is OK, but it's very expensive and a lot of cats get sick of eating it.....there are much cheaper choices like Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates....and if you compare the ingredients, you'll see that they're actually quite similar.

There's nothing special about the "prescription" foods except the price!

I'd bet that with a little work (and a lot of yummy treats and even more patience) your sister could be successful in testing Indie...and it would definitely be the best thing for Indie!

5. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Haha. Yeah am not a huge fan of prescription food. I decided to try it though as she prefers dry. So have been trying to entice her with different wet foods. And unfortunately, she isn't a huge fan of FF. Luckily, at least for now, she really likes the Purina DM. So I will continue for now until she stops eating that one too. Haha. Will try out the Friskies next!

As for the dry, in order to ensure her bg is not going low thats why I leave a little, very little dry out. She won't always eat the wet and I just want to make sure she is eating. Is there a better dry I could try? Again its very little but I need to make sure she is eating.

I can certainly try to get my sis to test her bg during the day. May take time but is worth trying!

Indie has been on Lantus since Wed. When would be the soonest she could potentially go hypo? I thought it took 5-7 days for Lantus to "kick-in" so to speak. I remember reading that here somewhere.

I know the vet explained briefly to me that there is a thin line between hypo and in remission. And that as time went on I would see her bg numbers go lover and lower and would need to call the ER vet to get advice on whether to lower her insulin dose and if so, by how much.

Now am worried about giving her insulin on days no one is going to be home with her around +5 or +7. Am so scared now.

My sisters poor cat had urinary blockage and he was hospitalized and now is home but peeing blood constantly all over her home so she has been taking my gram to her house during the day as of late as she deals with her kitty's issues. (I need to find a board for her cat's issue next!) Anyways, my point is that no one is going to be with my kitty 24\7 in the coming week(s). So how do I ensure Indie does not go hypo??

6. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Am finally reading through the entire FAQ's. And a lot of my questions are aswered there. Sorry for posting all these questions when there are many answers already in the FAQ's!!! Oops..

7. Chris & China (GA)

No worries!! Post any questions you still have!!

That's what we're all here for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.