? Biscuit - 158 AMPS, +4 84 - Oral Cancer Diagnosis - Dosing advice, Anyone with exp?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ShannonandBiscuit, Jul 2, 2020.

1. ShannonandBiscuit

ShannonandBiscuit Member

Last Post

This is so hard to type... but unfortunately Biscuit was confirmed to have mouth cancer today. The vet has told me it is very aggressive, given how advanced it is now vs a week ago and vs a month ago. He will remain on 0.18 ml of Bupe for pain. I've been told I can do SubQ fluids if I think its necessary. They are predicting weeks not a month.

That said, He is not eating great right now. I didn't used to worry about lows because he would always lap up whatever HC food I put down. 2 days ago he had a low episode (we reduced his dose after) and i went threw 3 different types of HC food before he would lap up something. It was very hard getting his BG up. So I'm wondering, since remission is no longer the goal, just quality of life for however long he has, what is a good no shot number? He is presently on only a 0.25 a unit of lantus twice a day. I'd also like to avoid too many ear sticks from this point forward too.

Also, if anyone has gone through this with a diabetic older cat (he's a month away from 17 years old) I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions on keeping him comfortable till we can't anymore.

Thanks alot...

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry. I haven’t experienced a cat with this type of cancer but my sister had one who was not diabetic and it was quick I’m sad to say. I probably would not shoot if under 200or perhaps even a little higher to keep him as comfortable as possible and not bother him too much. This is the hard part of being a fur parent and my heart and prayers go out to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom and ShannonandBiscuit like this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. My civvie Simba had oral cancer. I can tell you that she had good days and bad days. I learned to just focus on the day at hand and try not to think about the future. I hope you can make more memories with Biscuit with the time you have left. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to hear this. It's always sad for us when we know what we didn't want to know. Please enjoy your time with him now...our hearts and prayers are with you. Sending lots of scritches for that sweet baby. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Shannon - I am so sorry to hear the news. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I know I have seen cats before with mouth swelling/possible oral cancer, but it's been a while so they aren't posting now. I would definitely go conservative with the insulin, maybe even go down to 0.1 units. I see you've seen 60's the last couple night and there is nothing worse than a low cat that won't eat. There is no reason to keep Biscuit tightly regulated now. Just keep him comfortable, spoil him, love on him.

6. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

So sorry to hear this news. I lost my cat to cancer early this year. Cherish these times with Biscuit. Hugs to you and Biscuit.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Shannon I am so very sorry to hear this news.:bighug:

ShannonandBiscuit likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Shannon, so sorry to hear this new, I agree with Wendy, enjoy Biscuits and love on him and enjoy the time you have, breaks my heart to hear this

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry.

I agree with Wendy about being conservative with the dose and everything else she posted.

10. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hello,

I am very new to this forum, but I read your post. Sorry to hear about Biscuit. Hoping the best for him and everyone else. I read this article- you may be able to read it in case. https://petcureoncology.com/oral-cancers-in-cats/
    Thanks..