Blackie 07/11 AMPS 410

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

It's gone down in the a.m. from the previous days' #'s when I first put her on the 1.4. The +2 looks good. I'm not panicking now, and I'll keep her on this for a while to see what she does with it. As I've mentioned in my previous post (somewhere), perhaps this may be the lucky dosage. I'm thinking of giving this a month (perhaps longer, depending) to see how she does. :) Think that'll be adequate time...? I know that ECID, and I all I can do is try.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Really with PZI you can usually tell within a few cycles (shots) how they are going to do on the dose. Personally I would give it 3 days, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to hold a dose as long as a week (barring complications like ketones or acting severely ill).

You want to allow enough time with each dose for the insulin to build up in their system to get to full effect, and with PZI that usually only takes 2 - 4 cycles. There is some merit in holding the dose slightly longer than that so their system can get accustomed to the steady shots, but to me there is no real value in most cases in holding a dose longer than maybe 5 days. That's long enough to let their system acclimate and to build up overlap - if you aren't seeing good results by then, it is unlikely that you will in the future, and IMO it's time to raise the dose.

Staying in high #s longer than a few days (3? I'd have to check the Wiki to get exact info) is when they start to build insulin resistance and then it's that much harder to bring the #s down.

With Bix (PZI Vet) I raised the dose every 3rd day, and that worked well for us. Often with him I got better results on cycle 3 or 4 of a dose, that seemed to be when overlap kicked in for him. Even with Lantus & Lev, which have more of a shed than PZI, I think they only hold doses for 3 days before raising. If anything, PZI would need less time than the Ls to get to full-dose-effect and see if it is working or not.

Hopefully you'll see some better #s on this dose & it will be a non-issue!!!! :mrgreen:

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

If she follows her past pattern, you should see a lower PS# tonight. A blue nadir, then three red ps#s, followed by a yellow ps#. Come on Blackie, you can do it! :mrgreen:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

angela i had to laugh when you said 'i'm thinking of giving this a month' LOL, actually we never know what tomorow may bring much less a month from now :mrgreen:
    the truth is you could be otj in a month. remember your kitty is not only getting lowered #'s from your use of insulin and proper diet but she's also having her pancrease healing.
    a month? HA, tell that to the cat!
    dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Well, she got down into the 300s on last nights ps#, going the right direction at least. :mrgreen:

She'll get there, one day at a time. She had a good drop at +2 yesterday, she could have easily gotten into the blues after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.