Blackie +5 198

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Blackie hit a high blue at 10:36 a.m. I'll take that.

Now, to treat her diarrhea issue. :( Any ideas/suggestions? Someone

Someone mentioned pumpkin (the plain one, not the seasoned one), and of course, it's currently out of season (go figure).

She did almost finish off her morning food after the test, which I was happy to see. I guess from this point on, if she doesn't finish it, I'll simply put the rest in the fridge until later on when she's hungry again. I wonder if her appetite's starting to slow down...?

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Can you check her for ketones today, please? The wanting more water could be related to the loose stools, but just to be on the safe side....
    Before she was diagnosed with FD, how often was she being fed per day? Sometimes runny stool can be due to eating too much and eating too often.
    Over eating overloads the spleen and can cause diarrhea. She is getting a lot of treats that her tummy was not used to before.

She also might need some probiotics right now to get her gut flora in line. Since I have so many critters, I generally get a tube of "Probios" from Tractor Supply, ($6) and it will last me about 6 months around here. The tube is labeled to treat cattle, and it is 60grams. The cats only need a tiny smidge, (1/8tsp - a half gram), a day for a few days if they get an upset tummy. The dogs will usually get a 5 grams a day of it over a few days if they need it. Rascal, Miranda's Great Dane mix, has IBS, and Probios really helps him with that when his bowels turn to water. http://www.probios.com/

Benebac, available at Petsmart/Petco and labeled for cats and dogs, might be an option for you if you are leery of the Probios, but it is a lot more expensive. Fortiflora is another option, but again, it is pricey.

Here is a link that might be helpful for you:
    http://www.cat-health-guide.org/catdiarrhea.html

Another option that I have seen work for a lot of IBS cats is a raw diet. Less expensive than quality canned cat food, but expensive if you are not making it yourself.

~M

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Since one of the Tractor Supply stores near us doesn't carry the terramyacin eye ointment (they haven't for a couple of months now), I'll call them and find out if they carry the Probios instead. Definitely can't hurt, especially if she's getting such a small amount.

I checked her urine yesterday after I posted on the SS, and she was neg. for ketones.

Before she was diagnosed, she was free feeding along with the rest of them.

I've cut back on the treats today, and have given her the rest of the morning's meal, which she ate about 2 hours ago (give or take), and I just gave her (at 12:35 p.m.) a 1/4 can of the chicken flavor, with 5 tsp. of water next to it (I don't mix it in to make it soupy).

I'll check her urine for ketones again (if I can catch her, that is), if you want. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.