Blue 7/3

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alexia and Blue, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

AMPS- 198 .4U/1U
    +2.5 143
    +5.5 111
    +18 170

I had to close at work tonight so I wasn't able to test at +12 so we tested at +18 but there isn't enough time between then and when he needs his morning shot so we didn't give any insulin tonight. We'll see how his numbers are in the morning. Good news is that I know my schedule for the next 2 weeks and I only close twice.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking good. And you're getting good input on here and health (from Chris) regarding dose, no-shoot, etc.

I'd like to see his PS - under 200, so let's hope he can deliver. :D

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Looking very good. How do you know when not to shoot? Considering I'm still very new in this field, I'm concerned about overdosing, and/or underdosing.

Although, right now she still needs her insulin BID. Working on hoping to change that in the future...

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's really awesome for a +18, yay!!!

To answer your question Angela, typically people set a no-shoot # like 180 or 200 for starters. If you get a # below that at PS time, you wait 30 minutes or so and retest. Once the # is over 200, then you go ahead and give the usual dose.

Once you have given some shots on PSs around 200 and have some data to be sure your cat tolerates the full dose fine, then you lower your no-shoot to 180, and then with more data to 150.

Some people start out with 150, but generally, especially if you are feeling nervous about it and you aren't dealing with a complication like ketones, it's good to start with a no-shoot a little higher to give you some margin for error as you collect data. Many cats will tolerate the full dose on a 150 PS, but some cats do well with a slightly lower dose at 150 and slightly higher dose at higher PSs.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Joanna,
    Talk about another great piece of succinct advice! What you just wrote should be documented. When you were missing with the broken computer, that wording would have been nice to point to.

I forget who it was, maybe Hope?? that has some great succinct advice about decreasing fast and increasing slowly. Maybe a favorite quote addition to the Sitcky??

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That one from Hope, I saw once on Health that was an actual quote, but of course I can't remember who it was or what they said! It was something like: don't increase the dose based on one high #, but always decrease on one low #. Only more eloquent. I think it was posted by a guy so that really narrows the field :lol: (Larry? Steve?) At least I think that was the one Hope was talking about if I remember right.

I'm happy to add things to the sticky. It makes me a bit nervous since I know there are differing viewpoints on things, and also I know a complete guide to using PZI was written at one point, but for reasons unknown (politics?) was never posted. I can paste in something though about the no-shoot, and I'll go look for what Hope wrote pc_work

well, maybe tomorrow... today feels more like a siesta day.... or maybe a fiesta/siesta day... drinking09 ... I-)

ahhh, I luvz the smileez :mrgreen:

7. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Joanna that was awesome! I kinda got it but that said it perfectly! Thanks! Posted his new condo for the day on Health and PZI board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.