Bo& Jake...convenia question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bo & Jake, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Heloo LL!
    Long time not posted and only 'old' one will know us'.
    Lots of water under the bridge...my DH sick and passed of Pancreatic cancer.
    MY question: did anybody use CONVENIA AB for UTI for their kitties?
    My civie Maya has Bacterial bladder infection. Heard about convenia side effects but vet said only convenia is injectable.
    I would really appreciate for any input.
    Thanks

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Convenia is not the best choice for a UTI. Your vet should run a culture and sensitivity to see what are the best choices. Convenia is best for skin infections. If the bacteria is not sensitive to an antibiotic it is useless. Hope Bo gets better.

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

convenia is not a good choice for uti's.

vets like it because it's a shot that last two weeks. The problem is once it's in you can't take it out and some kitties could
    have a negative reaction to it.
    Clavamox or Baytril are the usual choice for UTI.

Many of us have the vet write on the outside of our file.... No Convenia, No Metacam.

So sorry for your loss of your DH. :YMHUG:

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bo,
    I remember you from when I first started with FDMB. Very sorry to hear of your loss of your DH.

Here is a link to Dr. Lisa Pierson's article on Convenia: http://catinfo.org/?link=convenia .

I agree with the others that you should have a C&S to identify the bacteria that is causing the UTI so that the proper antibiotic can be prescribed.

Sending healing vines for your kitty,

Ella & Rusty

5. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Thank You For the quick replay!
    Vet did run culture for bacteria but I chose injection because it's hard to pill my cat.
    Clavamox and beatril are pills. I'll see the vet tomorrow and we going to see .
    Thank You again ...I's nice to get back to LL family!

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Bo.

I too have NO METACAM. NO COVENIA. written on both of my cat's charts. It's just the thought that if she has a reaction to it, it will be in her system for 2 weeks.
    Sending get all better soon vines, to Maya cat_pet_icon , and :YMHUG: to you.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Bo. It has been a long time! Sometimes, I've seen you lurking, though.

Clindamycin is also an option for UTIs and it comes in an injection form.

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I remember you too. All that has been said here is true. I am glad to read Sienne's post to see there is an alternative injectable. I had once used convenia for Mannie when he was so sick. Wouldn't take pills, had a nasty uti. It was at the time the only choice I had. I am glad sienne has given you an alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.