Boarding with the vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Ducote, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

It's me again o_O Thank y'all for being so patient with me! I know that I have asked a million and one questions but this place is so helpful that it is the first place that I run to when I need to know something :bookworm:

My family is going out of state next week and Ducote will be boarded at the vet. We have never boarded at the vet before because there was never an issue with leaving him home before he got sick. I spoke to the vet and they assured me that he would get his am and pm shots every day (I was nervous because they close 2 hours before his night time shot and they are closed on Sundays). I am packing his glucometer with him but I am not too trusting that they will check him before each shot. Do you normally keep your cat on the same dose when they are boarded and just hope for the best....? :nailbiting: :eek:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I actually tell them a slightly lower dose number because while they check the preshot numbers, they don't usually check mid cycle. Also because I can't trust that she will eat the same amount that she eats at home if she's stressed.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Also no one is there at night, so I’d make sure they leave extra food for him, maybe even higher carb stuff.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with giving a ‘vacation’ dose which is a bit lower than your normal dose. It is safer to do this. Also agree with asking them to leave food out overnight.

Heather & Ducote likes this.
  5. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

Well, I thought maybe we had made a breakthrough because he gave me some good numbers a couple of days ago but now we are back into the "HI" :arghh: This makes it a little less scary to board him but still aggravating nonetheless :banghead: So should I just go ahead and tell them to stay with his current dose of 4.5 since it seems to be staying high anyway?

6. JanetNJ

lets see what it is next week. Come on Ducote! GET IT TOGETHER, CAT! lol

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

214 is a steep drop from the HI preshot. I think you have yourself a BOUNCY kitty. My cat didn't even show a yellow number until 2.5 months into insulin.... so at least you are seeing some yellows.

8. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

We leave on Monday of next week :confused:

9. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

If I continue with the same routine, same feeding, same dosage, etc., should he eventually stop bouncing? Do you have to change something or stay consistent to fix a bouncing kitty?

10. JanetNJ

hopefully she will get used to those lower numbers and stop bouncing so much.

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I would write out detailed instructions for the vets office, including that they must test before every shot using your meter. Also include your "don't shoot" number and that any dose increases must be approved by you first.

This is what I did every time I boarded my diabetic cats with the vet. The reason I did it was the vet's office assigned my pets to a new vet that did not support home testing. I wanted to make sure my instructions were followed and would not be over ruled by this new vet. I would know if they followed them by the readings on my meter. Fortunately they did follow my instructions.

12. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

I have a bag ready for him that will include his food, insulin, syringes, and glucometer. I already typed up a list of instructions (testing, dosage, timing, diet, emergency contact numbers, etc.). I also made a log sheet that they can use to record his glucose numbers and dosage amount twice a day with a heading that says something like "since we are still trying to get him regulated, the more data I can collect the better". I will also be giving them a copy of his most current spreadsheet. I am kind of nervous to give them everything because I don't want them to get the feeling that I don't trust them or that I think that I know better than them o_O

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Just tell them sorry for being so "technical" but you are working VERY hard to get this under control asap.

GOOD LUCK! and ENJOY
    j

Heather & Ducote likes this.
  14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. It is better to give them detailed instructions than have them guess what you want. I have done that several times when boarding pets and never had anyone say anything negative about it.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The other very good reason to give them detailed instructions in writing is that you will be giving them written instructions that you expect to be followed. Should something happen because they haven't followed your instructions, it's a huge liability. The biggest concern that I have is that there isn't anyone there throughout the night. As I'm typing this, I realize that my petsitter didn't sleep over to spend the night with Gabby, either. I trust her implicitly and if anything seemed the least bit "off" she would call, text, etc. I would include that in your information to the vet. It's one thing if Ducot's numbers run a bit low and they want to reduce his dose. It's another thing if they think he's running high and decide to increase his dose by 1.0u without consulting you. That's a problem.

They may think you are an compulsive, controlling cat mom but tough. It's your cat. You are paying them and it's reasonable to expect good customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.