? Bounce 178@+6, 211@+9, 243 PMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by StephF and Gizzy, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

He's probably going to bounce, but I'd expect that. I also like Ella's idea of the skip tonight to give the two of you a break and drain that depot which is a little overfull. If for some reason he really zooms up in the next hour, maybe you could give something like a 1/2 dose (maybe .75 units) to help slow down the bounce. But you still may have to monitor tonight, even with a reduced dose. If he shoots for the moon, the new reduced dose could be OK. Looking forward to the next test number.

Later it would be interesting to see which specific flavours of 9 Lives or Friskies you were using for high carb. You might have to try something different for next time.

2. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Next time!!! No next time please...

That's a good plan. I'm up really late so I'll be checking him for a while yet. So for now am I just letting him go and see what happens? This is his feeding time, should I do it as usual but no shot?

On the grumpiness, he seems to be that way when his numbers are changing. He wasn't that way while he was low, and he's fine now.

3. Wendy&Neko

I would test and post for advice before feeding. One possible tactic if he is still low, is to stall without feeding for a little while, to see if he'll come up on his own without food, to a number you feel better shooting.

StephF and Gizzy likes this.
  4. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

That makes sense. I'm looking at what I used for food right now. I need to go online because I can't see the print on the cans. :(

If I stall shooting tonight then what do I do in the morning? I can't go back to his regular time, right?

5. Wendy&Neko

I meant next time he earns a reduction - hopefully not in such a dramatic style. :rolleyes::cat:

6. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

We're at 135 for his PMPS. I wanted to get back to testing on the hour, it's so much easier to keep track of. I'm not feeding or shooting right now.

7. Wendy&Neko

So, how do you and Gizzy feel? Do you need a break tonight? Or can you stay up for a while?

8. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

I'm up for at least another 4 hours. I'm off tomorrow so I'm game for anything.

9. Wendy&Neko

Why don't you stall to +12.5 (without feeding) and see where his numbers are then decide. If he's bouncing, which it's hard to tell yet, you could go with the newly earned reduced dose.

10. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Sounds good

11. Wendy&Neko

The Friskies Prime Fillet Chicken and Gravy is only 13% in the catinfo food chart. We consider that a medium carb food. The 9 Lives Super Supper is only 5%, so a low carb food. If that's what you were feeding as "high carb" today, that might explain why he wasn't coming up. Time to stock the cupboard with some options over 15%. 9 Lives has some Hearty Cuts in Gravy that are high carb. Anyway, lots of HC options listed in the food chart.

12. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

I will make a grocery list.

13. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

171 @ 12.5. Stalling

14. Wendy&Neko

He is coming up. That's 35 points in 1/2 hour and he'll probably keep going up until onset in 2-3 hours. I think the decision is yours whether you want to shoot the new dose of 1.5 units or a one time even lower dose to reduce the depot. There is always the possibility of an active cycle tonight due to the depot.

15. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

What is an "active cycle"?

16. Wendy&Neko

An active cycle is one that needs more monitoring.

17. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Oh! Lol! Ok. I think if he is up again at +13 I would feel ok feeding and doing 1U. I really don't want to skip because he's going up pretty quickly, especially since I'll be up for a few more hours. I'm fine with setting my alarm overnight to check him. What do you think?

JanetNJ likes this.
  18. Wendy&Neko

Sounds like a good plan.

19. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Okeedokee. Here goes! So should I continue for now checking at 1 hour?

20. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

I'm nervous

21. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

22. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd check in an hour. Really, the most likely scenario is a big bounce and a good night's sleep for all tonight (but check for the first few hours anyway, just in case he has some more surprises up his furry little sleeve!)

23. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

198. I'm ok with the plan.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  24. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Hubby bought Friskies today and the box he got is low carb. They're all around 5-6%. Let's hope for the best tonight and a Walmart trip tomorrow.

25. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

You can always turn a low-carb food into a medium-carb by drizzling a little bit of honey/karo on it, it gives you a smaller but longer-lasting boost than just straight honey/karo.

26. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

27. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Good grief...268

28. Wendy&Neko

Just as well you didn't skip. Might be a quiet night for you after all.

29. Wendy&Neko

A little housekeeping on the spreadsheet. For the spreadsheet, put the number you actually shot in the PMPS cell. I think that was 198? In the +11 cell you can stack the other numbers. So that would look like 101; 135@+12, 171@+12.5, then in the PMPS cell you put 198@+13. That lets us know you stalled for the hour.

The other thing you might want to do is go through this thread and in the Remarks column, write down how much of what % food and/or karo you gave at what time. This history may help you at some point in the future.

30. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Ok to go to bed in a couple hours as long as he's high?

31. Wendy&Neko

Yes, the general guideline is that if the +2 (or later) is higher than the PMPS, it'll be a quiet cycle. ie. bounce.

32. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

I will do the remarks tomorrow. My brain can't do it tonight. It got really confusing for me with doing checks every 20 minutes for a while. I will sort it all out though. I also need to get my supplies organized. It just so happened that we didn't have our regular food for the other cats today. I need a "secret Gizzy cupboard"

33. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

I can't thank you enough for helping me through this. I learned a lot - be prepared, think before shooting (I thought I was but got too comfortable)

34. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

35. Wendy&Neko

We all remember how scary it can be the first times kitty is low, especially if it's as dramatic as Gizzy was today. Most of us had someone help us, so it's just paying it forward. :bighug:

36. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

:) 254 +2

37. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

38. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you both get some good rest tonight! :bighug:

39. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

40. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning! I had to cut out yesterday evening when friends dropped in. You (and Wendy, et al.) did a great job. I hope Gizzy won't be so dramatic today.

41. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

So far so good! Dropped a bit but after a little meal he's holding his own.

42. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Hi! Is this a normal clearing pattern? I'm shooting 1.5 in about 5 minutes

43. Wendy&Neko

I'm sorry no one got back to you in time. It's best to start a new post every day. If you reply to an older post, then people will assume it's about a previous day and not a current question.

But to answer your question, good job shooting the 1.5 units. Cat's numbers will bobble around during a bounce.

44. StephF and Gizzy

StephF and Gizzy Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.