Bouncing and Prozinc dosing thoughts

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sibby16, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Sibby16

Sibby16 New Member

So she is finally at her pre-illness weight (DKA 10/2020) and she is regulated on her food intake but we haven't reached a good insulin dose yet. The vet seems reluctant to change her at times. Her most recent trends are preshoot numbers in the 400s then she will bounce to almost 700. I will spot check her nadir and the lowest I have caught her was 175. I would love some feedback on her spreadsheet and any suggestions. Thanks!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi. I see there are certain times you lowered the dose pm if it was slightly lower. Keep it the normal dose of its over 200. It will help bring her down. When she has numbers making progress you don't want to step back from them. When you shot 2.5 and got the 175 it was definitly a better number, but if you had stuck with 3 it would have probably been closer to where you need her to be. Then a few days later you had another good yellow preshot and you only gave 2. If you had given your usual 3, she would probably hit those nice blues again.

I see only occasional spot checks at around 4 hours after the shot. ProZinc usually peeks later than that. Try to get a reading every day in the 5-7 hours after range so we can make sure the high numbers are consistently high and not from a bounce.

If you still find the mid day numbers are high (which I suspect they will be) then it's time to raise the dose.

Starting tomorrow if suggest you do 3.25, but do try to get more mid day numbers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

4. Sibby16

Sibby16 New Member

Thank you so much Janet! I was backing off on her insulin a bit when getting those better numbers as they were the lowest I had ever seen since we started this whole thing. I was almost afraid that she would bottom out as sometimes I would see her glucose drop over 200 points once she had her dose. Newbie fear factor, haha. I will work on getting some more of those spot checks with her in the 5-7th hour and see what we get. We are off to meet a new vet today. I appreciate the help soo much, thank you for taking a look! Have a beautiful day ;)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Can you insert a bold line on your spreadsheet combining a few cells and note that you changed to a pet meter please. At first quick glance your BG data is deceiving. The bold separating line will quickly explain the drastic change in numbers. :) Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.