Brand New to Feline Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lchalox, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lchalox

Lchalox New Member

Good Evening, my name is Leslie. My 13 yo domestic rescue is 13 and his name is Ben. My little man (he’s actually a big boy, 18 lbs. has been drinking a lot more water over the past several weeks, thus more out put and wanting more food than usual. I took him to the vet Saturday AM and by that evening is was attempting my first injection. Well.....it was a fur shot. I gave him a second shot (now I know I should not have done that. Within hours Ben was vomiting and had diarrhea. Sunday morning he ate a tiny bit of food, the a little more. After 20 mins I gave him 2 units of Vestulin. He was ill that whole day. I did not give him anything additional and brought him to the vet this morning. He stayed there all day as I had to go to work. They sent me home with a probiotic and anti nausea medicine. And Prozic.he ate a little bit about an hour ago but I have not been able to get him from under the bed to give him his shot, now 1 unit of Prozic. What do I do? I’m trying to read and gain as much knowledge as Possible, but it overwhelming.

2. Lchalox

Lchalox New Member

I know I can help my Ben and get on board, I just don’t know how to manage this alone.i work far from my home and vet and long hours, I cared for my husband for a 6 month battle with DLBC NHL. He did not survive. Ben is all I have left so I have to figure this out and get him healthy and regulated.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Sorry you've had an extra tough year. :bighug::bighug:

The good news is that feline diabetes is treatable and you've come to the right place to get help. The three pillars to feline diabetes are food - a good low carb wet food or raw is best, a good insulin - Prozinc is much better than Vetsulin for cats, and home testing of blood sugars. What food are you feeding Ben now? We can help you learn how to home test as well.

And yes, it is overwhelming to learn everything at first, but we can help you. We've all been in your shoes.

Lchalox likes this.
  4. Lchalox

Lchalox New Member

Hi Wendy and Nemo, thank you for your message. It is Really good to get input from someone with your experience. It’s been a rough few days and my hope is just to get Ben in a happy and healthy place again.

5. Lchalox

Lchalox New Member

He is currently eating Royal Canine, prescription urinary (canned) and has been for several years. Although he is not eating much at all the past few days.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The "prescription" foods aren't really prescription, they just call it that. Anyway, they are generally quite high in carbohydrates and not suitable for diabetics. Is there a reason he is on that food? If you haven't already, there's a great website called catinfo.org by a feline nutritionist vet. She has lots of good information on appropriate food for cats, including ones with urinary issues. Click on the blue link to take you to her page on urinary issues in cats. The good news is that your cat is eating wet food, so you don't have to worry about making the dry food to wet food transition, which can be tricky for some.

I'm a little worried that he's not eating much. Did you vet say anything about ketones? Any sign of an infection when he was diagnosed?

And lastly (for now), on this forum we are strong believers in doing home blood testing. It can help you make sure it's safe to give your kitty insulin, and to help you find the best insulin dose for your cat. Plus it's a lot cheaper than taking the cat into the vet for curves. You might want to take a look at this post we have, there are lots of videos on how to home test. We can help you if you decide you want to do this. Hometesting Links and Tips

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.