Bruce PM nadir

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by BruceWayne, May 4, 2022.

1. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Finally got a midnight reading and Bruce went down from his highest reading yet at 444 to 80 at +5.

Today is my day off work so I’m doing a curve, but I’m guessing the whole thing will be tainted by his bouncing.

Wondering if PZ is the best insulin for him or wether we should switch to Lantus?

2. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Also I know SLGS calls for a reduction whenever you get a nadir below 90 but I’m hesitant to drop him back to 1.25u.

Ordered an automatic feeder so we can make sure he has food available around midnight.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

That’s quite a drop. You might consider a switch of insulin and it may even things out - but even if you do, it could take a while. Some cats are pretty flat on Lantus while others are just divers and bouncers. I am not discouraging it, I like Lantus. It’s just early days still with Bruce.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Many cats do drop lower at night.

5. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

I expected him to drop a little lower at night, but we haven’t gotten a daytime reading below 164 in the past week, so to see him hit 80 on the same dose at night was unexpected.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi. I'm just peeking in on Bruce but I will wait until you update your spreadsheet. I hope all is going well and he will break his bounce.

7. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

He seems to be pretty unpredictable overall. Haven’t been able to get many mid-cycle readings but he never seems to go below 150 or so during the day, but that one midnight read I got on him was 80?

Does anyone give their cat different am/pm doses? Or should I just stick with 1.5u and hope he starts to even out?

8. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Im going to try and get a PM reading tonight. I just can’t sacrifice too much sleep since I work long hours driving a mail truck all day long.

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We usually try to give it about 2 months of consistent doses, testing, and methodical increases/decreases before considering uneven doses. His spreadsheet looks pretty normal to me, just bouncing.

As for the Lantus question asked awhile ago - yes the vast majority of cats do better on Lantus as it's more gentle. But it still takes time to stop bouncing and settle into lower numbers.

10. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

His AMPS numbers are consistently red now, and his daytime mid-cycle readings are consistently yellow

11. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

160 PMPS, going to stall and shoot one unit in 30 minutes if he’s at 200

12. Suzanne & Darcy

We have so little mid-cycle data on Bruce (and especially at night) that I don’t feel comfortable advising. I think he needs more insulin. He seems to sometimes make a slide down to blue at the end of the day. I hope his PMPS Will be up so we can see if he was on his way up already.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Can your wife get any tests on Bruce on the days she’s not working? I just wish we could fill in the picture on the spreadsheet better in order to make good decisions for Bruce.

14. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

She got one today, I’m trying to convince her to get more.

15. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

I know more data is always better but we have gotten over 30 mid-cycle readings in the past 25 days. We’re also a little concerned about his quality of life with all the testing. He spends a lot more time underneath our bed than he used to, and is much more on edge around us now. Trying to find a balance

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Good job!

17. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

160 PMPS

Stalled 30 minutes 159

Don’t really feel comfortable shooting

18. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Really frustrated with these high reds AMPS and slides into blue before PMPS

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Looks like you shot a 160 the other night?

20. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Stalled 30 minutes and shot 213 the other night. I might not be doing the best job showing that on the spreadsheet

21. Suzanne & Darcy

How is Bruce?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  22. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

We think he’s going into remission. We’ve been gradually lowering his dose and today we didn’t get a single reading over 100. We gave him .4 units this morning, he was 96 amps and the lowest reading we caught was 71 at +6. He was 98 pmps this evening and we decided to skip his pm dose and see what he reads in the morning.

23. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Maybe we should have given a token dose, like .25 or so? I’m kind of curious to see what his numbers look like OTJ.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

25. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Is the spreadsheet updated? I can't see anything last 5/12.

It's best to give insulin as long as possible to support the pancreas and give it time to heal, provided it is safe to do so. My guess is the 0.4U was a little too high, so yes I would have tried something like 0.25U provided you could monitor.

26. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Sorry we haven’t been updating the spreadsheet. AMPS 84 this morning after not receiving any insulin last night. Neither of us will be here to monitor during the day, so I’m hesitant to even give .25u.

FrostD likes this.
  27. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Good call to skip. Unfortunately in numbers these low, I can't advise without the spreadsheet updated.

28. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

80 this morning after 36 hours OTJ

29. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

We’re going to give .25u for preshots over 100 when we can monitor. Otherwise keeping him OTJ

30. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Bruce still OTJ, mid-day reading of 67 a few minutes ago. I think I read it’s normal for cats to have slightly below average glucose readings after remission from insulin therapy. Can anyone confirm this?

FrostD likes this.
  31. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Normal for a cat on a human meter is 50-100 (some say 120). My cat has never tested above like 95, or below about 55. Average seems to be 70s/80s

32. Suzanne & Darcy

Y'all are soooo lucky! Very good and normal number. Congratulations. I'm very proud of you for checking up on his BG. Kudos to you and your wife.

33. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Thank you! We’re gonna do weekly tests for a couple of months and then monthly tests after that unless we notice unusual diet/drinking/urinary behavior.