Bruno 4th month OTJ¡

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by aochoa, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aochoa

aochoa Member

Hi everyone¡ I don't post very often but I read others posts. Bruno has been OTJ since October officially but without insulin since end of September.

His numbers are within normal range but not very low, he stays more between 80-100 range. Sometimes, he gives me a higher number but still within normal range.

One week ago, many things changed, first the bacteria on his ears came back so he is back into Candibiotic drops for 10 days, tomorrow will be the last and... I got a rescue kitty, male, around 3-4 y.o., non castrated. Since Bruno has been only cat for our 13 years together - I have petsit for periods of around 6 months a couple of times, but always females- I am a little nervous about how this will end. New kid has been in a separate room, they can smell each other and have seen each other a couple of time. He was castrated today -the new kid- so they will be apart for another week at least and then start to mingle under supervision.

So far, Bruno's numbers have been not so bad, due to the stress the situation might cause, 104, the day after the new kid came home, but I can only cross fingers that he can manage the new situation at home.

Any recommendations?

And it feels great to be part of the honeymooners! :smuggrin:

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

My recommendations?

Keep up the good work!

Maybe I'm just a nervous catmomma, but I still test my Wink about once a week or so. If he's in the high 90's, I try to test the next day too, just to see where he is at. I want to catch any rise in those BG readings quickly and get him back on the juice if he needs it again.

So far the honeymoon has lasted 21 months for Wink.

3. aochoa

aochoa Member

Well, I tested again today. First day of interaction and I got 117 :nailbiting: , which I know is on the edge, but considering he has been only child for so many years and that while he is OTJ his numbers are not very low, I think he still ok. I will test tomorrow and see how things are. Tomorrow, they will be apart since I have to work and I will not allow them together if they don't have supervision. Hopefully, his numbers will be a little lower.

Thank you!!!

21 months... oh it looks so far away for us, it's great! :bighug:

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Wink has had a few high numbers over 100 on his Relion Confirm human meter. I don't get too worried about the occasional blip in numbers, but do test a bit more than my normal once a week, to see if the numbers are coming back down to the normal range. Sometimes, there can be a bit of tummy upset, or perhaps Wink is constipated and his numbers are high. Looking back, he got up to the 150 range back in April 2014. I did some more testing then, like every day for a couple of weeks. I knew he wasn't feeling well but he got better and his BG readings did go back down. If you look at Wink's SS, you'll see that I also tested some during the day and in the evening. Testing around +2 to +3 after a meal gives you a good idea if your cat's pancreas is kicking in to supply insulin. You should be seeing the numbers going down at that +2 to +3 hour timeframe.

aochoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.