Bryce Unusually High #s - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Debbie and Bryce, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hello All and Happy New Year!

Bryce has been experiencing higher numbers that are not dropping much during the day. She's been in the 300's for 2 1/2 days. Had an AMPS of 369 and was 382 at +2.5. We're wondering why these numbers are so high and not dropping - it's not like her. She's a 9.5u cat, but we've increased her to 10u Lantis.

She had a Cardio check-up on December 13. Only minor changes and blood work was good. But, a new med was added (1/4 tab Spironolactone). Her breathing has been a little labored (off and on). The "spiro" helped this. But, we've had to give her an extra 1/2 tab Lasix the last two nights (she only gets it in the a.m.). We took her for follow-up blood work on December 27 to check kidneys. That blood work was "excellent" per our vet.

Current Meds are: Enalapril (1 tab BID), Lasix (1/2 tab am) Vetmedin (1 tab BID), Plavix (1/4 tab am), Spironolactone (1/4 tab BID).

She's been "herself" other than the high numbers. Loves to eat, but limited to two cans FF (mainly Chunky Chix and Chunky Turkey) broken up into four feedings (2 in am; 2 in pm). And, gets a light lunch and blanched chicken at 1 am.

So, wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why the sudden change in the numbers (i.e., not dropping)? Thanks!

Deb

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't know Deb. Acros do what they like and they sure don't stay put. Shadoe used to be a 9u cat, but she's slowly risen to 14.5u. Ollie used to be up to 37u, dropped down to 21u for a long time, then had vaccines that have knocked his needs down to 3u.

What about teeth? Even if the b/w is OK, what about urine or some other infection?
    Did the change in needs happen after the med change? I am asking because the gabapentin I started giving Shadoe and Oliver was caps mixed in chicken flavor suspension. .... their numbers seemed to be rising and I had the vet check for ingredients in the suspension, and sure enough, there was a sweetener in it so he had to get some sugar free suspension.

It could just be an acro thing.

3. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Thanks, Gayle. Will also reply on FB. Bryce's teeth cleaned within last 6-8 months. As you said, could just be an Acro thing.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Great to hear the pearly whites are fine.
    I figure so long as we rule out illness or other issues first, we will be OK to be left with maybe it's an acro thing.
    There is never a harm to ask if you notice a change and started a new med; you never know unless you ask.

Pats for Bryce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.