Buddy's Mom needs help part 10

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Buddy's Mom needs help part 10

2. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel I need your great dosing advice, Buddy ran in the yellow all day with a dose of 5.6u, I just took PMPS and he is at 67. I am feeding him right now, do you have any dosing suggestions.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Why that little monkey!! Did you test again to make sure it wasn't a wonky strip, Teresa? I was going to say stall without feeding and retest but I see you've already fed him. Here's what I did a couple of times when Teasel threw me a low PS: I fed him, waited 45 minutes, retested and then gave him a lower dose. It wasn't a lot lower, maybe 0.2 u or so. Why not try that with Buddy. Test in 45 minutes and post here. Once we see what that BG is, we can think about what dose to give.

4. Teresa & Buddy

This is what I always do, you have told me to do this before. I was afraid to give him the same dose, so you think maybe 5.4u

5. Kris & Teasel

Wait until you have that next test after 45 minutes. Depending on what that number is and taking into account his recent surprises, some thought has to go into the dose you give tonight. I'd like to see the 45 minute test first.

6. Teresa & Buddy

I gave Buddy his regular wet food and he was not wanting to eat, so I mixed some HC FF grilled with gravy in his food, to get him to eat. He was picking out the FF and eating only it, his test might be high because of that and if it is low I can give him some EVO dry food.

7. Kris & Teasel

Buddy has to eat so his dosing has to work around that. Let's see what the next test number is. :)

8. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy came back wanting to eat some more at 8:04, I did a test at that time and he was at 137, he ate until 8:07. Do you want me to wait 45 min from 8:07 or 7:40 which is the 1st time he stopped eating. Sorry, to be such a pest on a Saturday night.

9. Kris & Teasel

I would time it from when he stopped eating last. How late will that put him from his usual shot time? That 137 isn't very high but let's see where his next test puts him.

10. Teresa & Buddy

His shot time varies from 7:00 to sometimes 8:30, it just depends on what is going on with him. He is letting stinkers, which is unusual for him, hope he is not getting sick. He ate a lot of HC FF grilled with gravy, so he should be high. Wonder why this happens at the end of either AMPS OR PMPS, not in the middle. It is always at shot time.
    Buddy is at 225, I will not be able to stay up late with him tonight. I am to be at church early in the morning, of course if I have an emergency here that is different.

11. Kris & Teasel

OK. He's high enough to dose. What about 4 or 5 u? Make sure you update your SS to show the actual PS number and make a note of how late your shot was. Try for a +2 test to see where he's heading.

Could it be the gravy from the FF that's causing his gas?

12. Kris & Teasel

If 4 or 5 u makes you uncomfortable, go with 3 u. :)

13. Teresa & Buddy

He had gas when he started eating the FF, In the morning will you be on FDMB, I will probably be in doubt as what dose to give him and I am to be at church before 10:eek:o a.m. I don't know which to do because I do not understand this.

14. Teresa & Buddy

No they do not make me uncomfortable, just having problems deciding which one to do.

15. Kris & Teasel

I'm usually on around 8 AM, Teresa, after I've taken care of my three kitties. Yes, this is a scary time. Buddy has become more responsive to insulin in a somewhat hit or miss fashion. It's a good sign but the only way to deal with it is by testing and adjusting the dose. And asking here, of course!

I'll make it easy for you: go with 4 u so you don't have to worry tonight. I'd still get that +2 test, though.

16. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, Thank you, for always being willing to help.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. Teresa & Buddy

I am getting ready to put this on Buddy's SS, I gave him 4u at 9:39.

18. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Wow some excitement from Buddy now :woot:.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  19. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy has been giving me too much excitement lately.

20. Teresa & Buddy

I checked Buddy at 6:00 & 7:00, don't know if I will be able to leave the house to go to church, I feel like I need to be here to monitor Buddy. I put info on Buddy's SS.

21. Teresa & Buddy

I am going to test Buddy at 6:14, that will be 2 hrs. from when he stopped eating.

22. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    I've read the notes on your SS. I think that BG at 6 AM was good considering his dose had been dropped to 4 u last night. You could either give 4 u again this AM or drop it to 3 u for an extra margin because you want to go to church. What do you think of that plan?

23. Teresa & Buddy

Do you think it would be safe for me to go to church.

24. Teresa & Buddy

I always think your plan's are wonderful, I am going to test him right now. I want to know what you think of his numbers,

25. Teresa & Buddy

At 614 his numbers were 275, does that change your thinking on a dose.

26. Kris & Teasel

I think so. What dose are you going to give?

27. Kris & Teasel

No, it doesn't. :) I think there's room to give 4 u.

28. Teresa & Buddy

I will probably try a dose in between 3 and 4. I wish that could be his dose amounts all the time. If I leave I am going to leave food out for Buddy just in case he drops, but it seems as though he drops late.

29. Kris & Teasel

I think his numbers aren't bad considering the amount of dose tinkering you've had to do because of the curve balls he's thrown. His good dose for now is probably in and around 5+ u but you'll have to inch your way there carefully, from 4 u to 4.2 u to 4.4 u, etc. The old "rule" of hold the dose for only 3 cycles if it doesn't get you out of yellow still applies.

Bumping Buddy's dose up to the 6 u range seems to have reduced some of his insulin resistance. That can mean his responses will be inconsistent. The way through this is to keep up the systematic careful increases even when you see the lower yellows and some blues appearing. There might be times when he gives you a green, even lime green, but those are "blips" you have to get past. They're unnerving but you can't let them halt your dosing routine. You have the stall without food and retest technique as well as the feed, wait 45 minutes and shoot technique. It's scary when they move into a more responsive phase like this but you have to go with it. Eventually, you should get to a stage where he has more blues and dark green on his SS. That's what you want.

For Buddy, you'll always have to dose around his eating issues. It's more important that he eat consistently than eating as low carb as possible. :)

30. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy got 3.4u at 8:32, I might see if I can get ready for church.

31. Teresa & Buddy

If I am home I feel like I can handle him with your help, but I am always afraid to leave him.

32. Yong & Maury GA

We know how you feel, Teresa, but it is good to do something little for yourself, like church. You'll leave a snack out for him and he usually has his lower numbers around typical nadir time :)

Teresa & Buddy and Kris & Teasel like this.
  33. Kris & Teasel

I know what that anxiety feels like, Teresa. My kitty is very unpredictable too. It's been better recently but he will still do unexpected things. All I can do is fill up my SS with data, study and learn from it, dose him as well as I can to keep him in good numbers but not too close to the edge and then cross my fingers. I'm lucky in that he's a really good eater so that's something I can count on.

Things have slowly improved since I put him on Lantus back in February. Have a look at my SS sometime to compare the extremes in January when he was still on ProZinc to where he is now on Lantus (at a similar dose range to ProZinc). One thing to note, though, is that I switched to a human meter (finally!) in early June and that has shifted all his numbers lower. He's still doing better and is more predictable on Lantus.

In the end, it has to come down to learning to trust your instincts.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  34. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Yong - we have to take a little time for ourselves. You can always leave food out if you have to leave and you're worried he might go too low.

35. Teresa & Buddy

I am going to try to see if his vet will write me a script for Lantus. Sometimes Buddy is a good eater too and then other times he is not. He is a little chubby.

36. Teresa & Buddy

If I leave I am leaving out food.

37. Yong & Maury GA

Teresa, have you ever tried Fancy Feast Roasted/Chunky/Flaked varieties?. I'm pretty sure they're the right one's on Food chart list :smuggrin: but they are not pate. I only got the Roasted Chicken and Turkey flavours, may pick up 1 can of a fish occasionally, for Maury. Think you mentioned Buddy is also not a big pate lover upload_2017-7-2_9-2-33.png

38. Teresa & Buddy

He ate FF chunky for a while, then would not eat it again.

39. Yong & Maury GA

I'm thinking he might like Roasted since he likes the Grilled. Can just buy 1 and see how it goes :)

40. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy seems lately to be low around AMPS or PMPS. I did leave food out for him and he ate. I did go to church, today we had the 1st of the month family breakfast where every family is to bring in a dish for breakfast. I was supposed to be there early and stay late, to help clean up. If I had been at home where I could have e-mailed Kris, then I would not have worried.

41. Teresa & Buddy

I looked today for the Roasted, the store I went to did not have any roasted, if they had any I would have bought some. I will keep looking when ever I go out.

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It is worrisome wben we're not home with them! But I'm glad you went to church..I know how important that is to you. :bighug:

43. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad you went out to church, Teresa. It's really important that we have time to ourselves or we'll burn out from worry about these kitties. :bighug:

44. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel AMPS Buddy's number was 326, can I give him a higher dose of insulin than this morning. What do you think should my starting U be.

45. Teresa & Buddy

I try to go on Sunday morning when ever I can. We still worry about them anyway.

46. Kris & Teasel

I'd try 5 u, Teresa. The dose that gave you lime green was 5.6 u and that was on a lower PS. The pinks today are from the too-low doses last night and this AM. What do you think?

47. Teresa & Buddy

I do not have much time to myself, 5 kitty's keep me busy. I have 2 others on medication and they have been for a long time. Since Buddy got sick at Christmas time, I do not care about going many places, besides I don't have any money.

48. Teresa & Buddy

That is great, I would like for him to be on 3.6 u, but that is not going to work. So I will go with 5u, off to give injection.

49. Kris & Teasel

What dose did you try this AM, Teresa?

50. Teresa & Buddy

, gave him 5u, @AMPS he was at 274, 4hr 307,9hr 291, I need to update SS. I think he may need an increase.

51. Kris & Teasel

In keeping with the guideline of 3 cycles at a dose, I'd increase to 5.2 u tomorrow morning.

52. Teresa & Buddy

Looking at my post, it seems I was in a hurry. I always trust your judgement, tomorrow morning I will start with 5.2. Don't know the reason for this, I do not see a drastic change in numbers until Buddy has had 2 or 3 doses of 6.2U then way down he goes. Then I start trying to raise his numbers and the whole thing starts all over again.

53. Kris & Teasel

This tells me that his good dose is up near 6 u. Approaching it slowly is safer.

54. Teresa & Buddy

I just looked at Teasel's SS, don't know for sure how to read, except the units of Lantus being used are going down and he has some real pretty blue's and green's.

55. Kris & Teasel

That's what it says, Teresa! :)

56. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel PMPS Buddy @300, he has not ate much today. What do you think of raising his dose to 5.4 tonight.

57. Kris & Teasel

You could do that Teresa but I'm a fan of 3 cycles at a dose unless the bottom drops out.

58. Teresa & Buddy

I did give Buddy 5.4u, but I will not raise his dose again until he has completed 3 cycles or until the bottom drops out.

59. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Teresa! I wanted to share another food I got for Maury to try with his iffy appetite. This one is listed as 9% carb on the Food Chart and when I opened it I said to myself "I think this could be one Buddy may like!"
    Purina One True Instinct Turkey in Gravy :). Got it from a grocery store ;)

60. Teresa & Buddy

I have been looking when ever I go out for food for Buddy, some of it costs more than his Royal Canin prescription diet wet food. I still have not found FF roasted here in any of the stores. Now I will be on the hunt for this one too. Haven't been on line very much today, I am going to scoot over to your house to see how Maury is doing.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  61. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

It's great that you've been able to help Yong with her kitty's pancreatitis. :) Will you go up to 5.6 u this AM? How's Buddy feeling/eating?

62. Yong & Maury GA

Indeed, Kris! I'm very thankful for Teresa's insight's so I try to re-pay by new food suggestions for Buddy :)

63. Teresa & Buddy

I just logged in to FDMB and I have already gave him 5.4U, but I will give him 5.6 U at PMPS. I have been trying to read some of the sticky's, especially about Lantus. One that I read (don't know if on Lantus forum) It is not the lack of food that causes DKA, but not enough insulin.

64. Kris & Teasel

It's actually a combination of things, Teresa - not enough food, too low a dose of insulin so numbers stay high, dehydration and another infection or inflammation going on. It's rarely just one factor.

65. Teresa & Buddy

One thing I wanted to tell you before tomorrow, if your vet does not have after hrs. or week-end hrs., you might ask for meds (Cerenia & Bupe) to have at home in case Maury would get sick and you could not get in touch with her. Enough to tide you over until you can get in to see the vet. Buddy's old vet would always do this for him.

66. Teresa & Buddy

This is something I want no part of.

67. Teresa & Buddy

I have done nothing to be re-paid for, but I do appreciate the food suggestions.

68. Kris & Teasel

Yes! It's to be avoided at all costs. Teasel had a bout of it over a year ago. He was a very sick kitty and getting him well involved a very $$$$ stay in the ICU at my vet clinic.

69. Teresa & Buddy

Oh my gosh. I hope you never have to deal with this again and I hope I do not have to deal with this either.

70. Yong & Maury GA

I just picked up some Bupe last Saturday so I still have 3 left. Planning on asking for more Cerenia though :). Thanks Teresa!

71. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel Buddy at AMPS is 333, do you think he needs to stay at 5.6U or could he be raised to 5.8u.

72. Kris & Teasel

I'd try 5.8 u, Teresa. The action previously began when you were over 6 u so you're getting to "pay attention" territory. You want those blues and greens, though. It's also important to learn how to deal with them when they happen. I suggest getting a +2 or+3 test whenever you raise a dose and/or get close to a dose that gave you much lower numbers before. Is he eating well?

73. Teresa & Buddy

He is eating fine at this time, but you never know about Buddy. I know this is where things start to change, I must admit it has been nice sleeping through the night without getting up to check Buddy. Don't know why yesterday he got at 332 and it does not want to go down. So glad you are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

74. Kris & Teasel

Glad to help, Teresa! :)

75. Yong & Maury GA

Glad you've been able to catch on some sleep, Teresa :). Have 2 more food suggestions, Nature's Recipe Grain Free in Broth. Maury liked the Indoor flavour (2% carb) and Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Flaked Chicken (MC at 13%). Both are non-pate :cat:

76. Yong & Maury GA

Oh and I want to try Iams Winner Winner with Chicken Dinner when I find it, it's flaked and the name makes me smile :p

77. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If you find the Winner Winner Chicken Dinner, let me know where. I've been looking for that one and can only find it online. I dont' really want to buy 24 cans until I know if my fussy eater will like it.

78. Teresa & Buddy

I bought some yesterday at PetValu, it was awful looking and Buddy would not eat it. Maybe there was something wrong with that can, I bought 2 more so I will check them out too. Most of the food I find cost more than his prescription food and he likes it. I am trying to find something less expensive, the one you mentioned was only .69 . Do you have problems getting Sam to eat.

79. Teresa & Buddy

Found it yesterday at PetValu for .69. Buddy would not eat it, I must say I do not blame him, I wouldn't ate it either. Maybe something wrong with that can.

80. Teresa & Buddy

I will see if I can find those around here. Still have not found FF roasted.

81. Yong & Maury GA

Heyyy there is a PetValu near my parent's house, just got it a couple years ago :woot:. It's the only place I've been able to find the beef liver Pure Bites. Guess next time I'm down there I'll stop by again.

82. Djamila

Sam has never not had an appetite, he just gets bored with food quickly and likes a lot of change. I usually have 4-5 different types of food at a time for him, and try to keep rotating in new things. He'll like a food for a few weeks, and then he doesn't want it any more. Sometimes he'll eat it again if I wait a few weeks and re-introduce it. Other times, he's just done with something and will never eat it again, even if he loved it for a few weeks.

I fed him the same high carb foods for years and years before his first round of diabetes, and he never got bored with it. I think the low carb foods just don't taste that good, so he wants something else.

No PetValu stores around here, so I'll keep looking. Let me know if the other cans are any better than the first one. If they're that bad, I'll just cross that one off the list.

83. Yong & Maury GA

Teresa and Djamila,
    Either of your boys like pumpkin? I have that one pouch of Soulistic Autumn Bounty just sitting on the shelf. Maury does not like that pumpkin :p. Would gladly send it to either of you :)

84. Djamila

Sam loves pumpkin, but that's too high carb for him. Even the Friskies made his numbers go up after a week or so. I know, I know, they aren't supposed to be that carb sensitive, but he really does give better numbers if I keep him under 5%.

85. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Some cats are more carb sensitive than others...ECID! :)

Kris & Teasel and Teresa & Buddy like this.
  86. Teresa & Buddy

What is the beef liver Pure Bites.

87. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy dose the same thing with food, some food he is crazy about for a while and then all of a sudden he will not eat it. The only wet food that Buddy used to eat was FF Liver & Chicken Grilled, now when he needs HC foods I feed him that.

88. Teresa & Buddy

I have never given Buddy pumpkin, I bought a can of pumpkin to have here if I needed it. What I have here is human food pumpkin.

89. Yong & Maury GA

It's just a flavour that's hard to find in PureBites freeze dried treats. In my early research days I read something about beef liver being good for them :bookworm:

90. Yong & Maury GA

Well fiddle-sticks...

91. Teresa & Buddy

When you gave Maury the pumpkin was it for a bowel issue. I had never heard of Pure Bites treats, will be looking, Buddy needs to have treats.

92. Yong & Maury GA

It was just a new brand when he was being really picky but realized when I tried a couple times, and he refused, the flavours had pumpkin in common :cat:. Some of the PureBites pieces are big so I break of pieces from those :)

93. Teresa & Buddy

I wonder a lot of times is Buddy being picky or is he sick at his stomach. I printed the whole list of cat food to take with me when I go out, it is pretty big.

94. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel I need to talk to you, did not want you to get away.

95. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel , I took Buddy's BG@ PMPS 145, 1 minute later using different monitor 162. I am feeding him and waiting 40 min., before shot. At 5.6u he was running in the 300's and 1st thing this morning. I think number to shoot probably should be between 5.6 & 5.8. I wanted your thoughts.

96. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Theresa, not sure Kris is around right now. If I recall, you've done this before where you waited 40 min and then dosed. I'd say get a test at that point. Maybe then do a 5.6 for a yellow or 5.8 for a pink? Kris might be back by then, but I wanted to give you my thoughts just in case she's not! :)

97. Teresa & Buddy

Rachel, I noticed Kris was not around, she is the one I bug all the time and most of the time she is on line. I am glad you replied, your thoughts are the same as mine. This same thing happened last Saturday @PMPS and some time the week before. Don't know why we cannot get it right, but we don't seem to be able to. Kris deserves a rest.

98. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Give it time Teresa...as I scroll through Buddy's SS, I see that you're getting more and more yellow preshot numbers than ever. And you're heading up the dosing scale to break that insulin resistance...and today shows that you're getting there! I think you're getting close to the current ideal dose and when you hit it, you'll see better numbers!

That she does! She works hard here and does so much for everyone...we're grateful she's here and didn't leave when she switched to Lantus!

99. Teresa & Buddy

Rachel, I have went up the dosing scale several times and then back down. I don't know what I would have done with Buddy if she had not been there. I feel bad because I cannot help, but get out your violin I will tell you a sad story about all I do here at home. I am going on with waiting, then taking another reading and giving a shot some where between 5.6U & 5.8U

100. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I hear you! We totally get it when folks can't help out here...I'm only on here limited times due to work..and I know you have a lot going on in your life. Never worry about not being able to help out! You've been a huge help to Yong with her Maury's pancreatitis issues and that's something most of us know nothing about. That's been a giant help, so you've definitely done your bit here too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.