Buddy's SS up and going 2nd part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can try Neosporin on his ears - a tiny smear. Also holding the ear for a few seconds after poking helps minimize bruising.

He is doing very well and so are you! Think about how much you have learned in such a short time.

2. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I know that his dose sometimes needs to be changed . Buddy went to the vet for a curve (1st time) she upped his dose 2 units and when I checked him 1st time he was @41. next time @35. I had only run a test on him a few times at that point, so glad I did that night. Think that is why when we start talking of upping his dose, I feel panic stricken. He had an appointment for 2/1/17 for another curve, I e-mailed a copy of Buddy's SS to the vet and canceled his appt.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

hoping to see some blue numbers today.

4. Teresa & Buddy

I am getting ready to leave and just took a reading Bud is @176. Opened up RC for him to eat and he won't eat, gave him this so he would not drop a lot while I was gone. If I am gone 2-3 hrs should he drop a lot.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He probably will be OK. Leave a little RC out for him.

6. JanetNJ

He's fine. 176 is still high. Hopefully in 3 hours he will be closer to 100. This is what we want to see.

7. Teresa & Buddy

I have been home for a few minutes in that time I took a reading and his #126. I left out the RC & FF, he did not eat either one. I have no idea what is wrong , before I left I gave him 1/4 of a nausea pill. When I came back and he had not eaten, I gave him a small piece of an appetite stimulant. If he does not eat this evening, I do not know what to do about his insulin.
    Tomorrow he was supposed to go in for a curve and I called and canceled the appointment. If he does not start eating tomorrow he will be seen by vet, I just don't know which one.

8. Teresa & Buddy

At 4:30 he was @126, the problem is he is not eating. He has not ate since this morning.

9. Teresa & Buddy

I have been using Bacitracin on his ears, it does not have a steroid in it. There is still a lot I do not know.

10. Teresa & Buddy

You probably will, I am hoping he will start eating.

11. Kris & Teasel

He doesn't have to eat much before getting insulin. Will he eat dry food? In a situation like this getting him to eat something is more important than his BG number. If he refuses to eat anything, no insulin and have him checked by the vet tomorrow. Are episodes like this common for Buddy? Has he ever had pancreatitis?

12. JanetNJ

Try a bit of tuna or something else he can't resist.

13. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, he has a history of chronic pancreatitis, that is why I keep the nausea medicine on hand. I have some pain meds on hand, but then all he will do is sleep. That is alright if he is in pain, but I would like for him to eat first. I put up the YA, guess I could get it out. The dry food was smart thinking on your part, because when he has pancreatitis he wants dry food not wet.

14. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, that was so smart of you. He ate some YA (I forgot to measure again) and RC. The appetite stimulant kicked in and so did the YA. Buddy has not been fond of most wet food, he got food aversion with several bouts of pancreatitis.
    The only wet food he would eat was FF liver & chicken grilled and he would eat the RC. I will let you know later how things are going.

15. Teresa & Buddy

He ate some YA.

JanetNJ likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

Good news!

17. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy came back and ate some RC at about 6:10, so I will be a little later with numbers. Since he was wanting to eat I did not want to stop him. What happens if after taking his numbers, he will not eat.

18. Kris & Teasel

Will you wait 2 hours before testing to get a non food influenced test? Probably best to do that and then move your AM time tomorrow a bit. Try giving him a few YA kibbles before his shot. They're concentrated so should be enough.

19. Teresa & Buddy

Yes I will wait until 8:10 p.m. to get a non food influenced test. If he does not eat anything should I give shot.

20. Kris & Teasel

I don't know what to say. Why not try a couple of kibbles right after his 8:10 PM test to see if he's interested. If he eats even 6 or so of the YA, give his shot. Then you can put out a few mores YA kibbles for him to graze on afterward. If there's no interest, skip the shot.

Do you have both antinausea and appetitite stimulant meds? People on here always say to give both when the kitty is off his food.

21. Teresa & Buddy

His # 454, that is pretty high. He ate some more YA, guess I am giving 1u. Do you think the YA and RC raised his numbers that much, or could it be because he is sick.

22. Kris & Teasel

Hard to say, Teresa. If it's food, the RC is the more likely culprit. He'll be OK with 1u.

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm hopefully he's just had an off day and will eat better tomorrow.

24. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, I have 2 different kinds of anti-nausea meds and 1 kind of appetite stimulant. Sometimes I can give anti-nausea meds and he will come around and eat, but not today. I gave him an anti-nausea pill earlier today, guess it did not work. When I came back I gave him an appetite stimulant & anti-nausea meds. He did eat some more YA, before his shot. He has slept most of the day. Poor little guy.

25. Teresa & Buddy

I hope so.

26. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy is still just laying around, he is not following after me like he always does. At 2a.m. he was @367. He now has some meds on board, to see if I can get him to eat. He is going today to see the doctor today. I will test him shortly, we might not wait until 8:00, it depends on if he is acting as though he wants to eat.

27. Kris & Teasel

I'm sorry he's not feeling well. Good idea to have the vet look at him. The high red number last night could have been a bounce from the blues mid day.

28. Teresa & Buddy

He has not ate anything. If he does not eat do you think I should hold the insulin. If he would eat later should I give shot then, or wait till the evening shot.

29. Kris & Teasel

When is your vet appointment? If he'll eat some kibble give him a little and then give him his shot. It's important to keep the insulin going in if at all possible to avoid DKA. As for the rest of the day, it all depends on what your vet says is going on. I know your vet had him on too high a dose of insulin initially but do you trust his judgment in other areas?

30. Teresa & Buddy

He will not eat anything at all. I am going to his old vet, I am getting ready to leave. Should I shot or not.

31. Kris & Teasel

Sorry - I was otherwise occupied and didn't see this. Am going out now. will check in later.

32. Teresa & Buddy

took him to vet he was running a temp and dehydrated. She ran a blood panel, nothing besides being dehydrated and diabetic. She wants me to give him insulin without eating, she wanted him to have 2u now and 1u tonight whether he eats or not. What do you think.

33. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy finally took a few bites of Purnia OM, he tried so hard to eat but could make himself eat anymore. She insisted one of the reasons he did not want to eat was because his Blood Sugar was high. She wanted me to give him 2u today, whether he ate or not. She said to give him 1u tonight whether he ate or not. At 12:35 I finally gave him 1.5u, just hope he is alright. She said she did not trust human meters with pets only Alpha Tract. A lot of people on FBMB use human meters.

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You are stuck between a vet and your pocketbook and your judgement. I think you have to figure he is your cat and you don't want to harm him.. I think 1.5 is a good compromise but.....

Have you gotten a ketone test? Did she get one? That is first. If he is running a temp, he could have an infection and that plus not eating is deadly. If he has even slight ketones, he needs to be under a vet's care. They may need to give him insulin and nutrients and watch him carefully.

If there are no ketones, keep testing for them today so you catch them if he starts. Have you tried baby food? Sometimes that (the kind without spices) and putting it on your finger helps get them eating again. There are no easy answers. Yes, he needs insulin but he also needs food. If he absolutely won't eat, try feeding him with a syringe. The vet should be able to help with that or there are directions here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-assisted-feeding-video-and-tips.144367/

35. Kris & Teasel

Sue has given you good advice.

36. Kris & Teasel

Have you tested for ketones? Ketodiastix from the human pharmacy - put the strip into the urine stream or hold a shallow spoon under his backside while he pees. Doesn't take much urine for a test. Wait 15 seconds and view the strip under good light. Trace - call your vet for advice. More than trace - he'll need vet intervention.

37. Teresa & Buddy

38. Kris & Teasel

Ketone test strips are in the pharmacy area at Walmart. Mine are Bayer brand Ketodiastix. Not expensive.

39. Teresa & Buddy

I have just been syringe feeding Buddy FF beef feast put in the blender with water added. I am going to Walmart, when I come back I am going to try and see if I can get RC wet to the point I can syringe feed. Has anyone had any luck putting dry food in blender and being able to syringe feed.

40. Kris & Teasel

Maybe buy some meat in broth baby food (plain - no seasonings) too? Don't know about putting kibble in blender though.

41. Teresa & Buddy

I hav
    I have plain chicken in broth baby food here, I will also try that. I did not know that ketones needed to be checked, if I had known I would have asked for it to be done. I am back from Walmart with the ketone strips, now to catch him peeing. Seems like I am at Walmart every day. The doctor he saw today was his old doctor. I faxed her his SS.

42. Kris & Teasel

I gave you the shallow spoon tip for getting a urine sample. That's what I do with Teasel. Some people put a double layer of plastic food wrap over their kitty's favourite area of the litter box to catch a little urine in the folds.

43. Teresa & Buddy

I called the doctor and asked her if she checked Buddy today for ketones, she said you only check for ketones once you have liver damage and Buddy has no liver damage. I do not know if that is all doctor's opinion or not. I bought some ketone strips to use so I will try. Buddy is really feeling bad, he is just laying around sleeping. I am worried about him, I syringed fed him some FF classic and then later some RC. I will syringe feed him before I give him more insulin. Hope he is better tomorrow.

44. Sue and Oliver (GA)

She is wrong. Here is information about ketones:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm

Maybe if you get a little food in him - especially watered down - he will need to pee. You might bring the litter box in near where he is. Another idea is to fill it with clean litter. Sometimes they want to "christen" a clean box.

Couple choices - call around to an emergency vet, describe his symptoms and see if they will do a ketone test. (They can use a needle to get urine). Or continue to syringe feed, maybe giving water by syringe also and try the litter box ideas to see if you can get a ketone test.

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The ketone test is super important. That's my first thought when you described his symptoms. Gypsy usually crawled in the box and immediately squatted, allowing me to stick the strip right in her urine stream. The other options Sue and Kris gave work well too. But it's really important...not to worry you, but the earlier you catch it if is DKA, the better chances you have.

46. Teresa & Buddy

What is DKA

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Diabetic Ketoacidosis. There's a link at the top of this forum about ketones that gives more info. But it is very dangerous and super important to test for ketones...especially when the cat is in high numbers.

48. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

49. Teresa & Buddy

Why would a doctor not mention this. I took him to his old doctor today, and I called the other one tonight not 1 mention. The new 1 did ask if he had been peeing a lot, which he has not.

50. Teresa & Buddy

51. Teresa & Buddy

His litter box is lined with plastic wrap, I am going to water done something and give him to see if he will pea.

52. Teresa & Buddy

I used the strips, he has a trace amount. I called 1 of his doctors he told me to give him 2units of insulin tonight, and then he would be in the office tomorrow at 6:30 a.m., and we would recheck then.

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good to know, and good that it is a lower amount. I would keep pushing water and food tonight. Paws crossed that everything will be fine in the am.

54. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, from Teresa and Buddy

55. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Phew! I' m so glad you got a test in. Trace is a low amount, so that's a relief. Basically, the recipe for DKA is no food, plus infection, plus no insulin. That's why we're leery to say no insulin when they don't eat. If you can get a ketone test in every few days...especially in higher numbers...that's a good thing.

Let u know how Buddy is feeling today.

56. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

I'm sorry I wasn't around last night - I was under the weather and had to go to bed early. I see that you got a lot of help from Sue and Rachel. Congratulations for getting the urine testing done. Unfortunately you're learning the ins and outs of treating feline diabetes the hard way. Vets can be less knowledgeable than the people here or else they don't encourage being as hands on as we are here because they don't want to frighten their clients - or a bit of both.

I'll keep checking in until I have to go out around 10:30 AM (my time and your time). Fingers crossed for Buddy.

57. Teresa & Buddy

I called of the vets last night(the only 1 you can get after hrs) he said he was not surprised about the trace amounts of Ketones because his blood sugar was too high. He told me to give him 2 units of insulin, which I did and he made through the night last night. We made plans to bring Buddy in a.m., which I did. Pray for Buddy that he is fine.

58. Teresa & Buddy

59. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

60. Teresa & Buddy

I took Buddy to the vet this morning, he called me a little while ago, he said that Buddy was running a temperature so he had given him 2 injectable antibiotics that seemed to bring his temperature down and he was eating. He said that Buddy was uncomfortable so he did an x-ray of his abdomen and he found a golf ball size mass, in the forward part of his abdomen. He said he could not tell for sure where it was and what it was, but that seemed to be the source of the problem. He is going to do surgery on Buddy in the morning. Please any of you that believe in God and prayer, please pray for Buddy.

61. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you had this very frightening news, Teresa. I'm sending all the positive energy I can muster to you and Buddy. Will be checking in.

62. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I am so sorry you got such frightening news, Teresa. Lots of good thoughts coming your way.

63. JanetNJ

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the mass. I hope they are able to remove it completely.

64. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, from Buddy & Teresa

65. Teresa & Buddy

I do too, was not expecting this when I took him for the doctor to observe. I am hoping for a good out come for Buddy.

66. Kris & Teasel

Many fingers crossed here for you and Buddy.

67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh my...Teresa I'm so sorry for that frightening news, I'm sending tons of good healing vines your way. Please let us know when you hear from the vet.

68. Kris & Teasel

Any news, Teresa?

69. Teresa & Buddy

No, I am hoping no news is good news. I believe on Friday he starts seeing patients @ 10:00 a.m. and he told me he wanted to operate on Buddy in the morning. I asked him if Buddy would get to come home on Friday and he said that would depend on how Buddy was doing later in the day. I was thinking if he came across anything really bad he would call me while he had Buddy out. I hope he got to do the surgery this morning as planned. What do you think.

70. Kris & Teasel

I'm with you - no news is good news. I agree that you'd probably get a call if the vet sees something nasty while Buddy is under. Keeping fingers crossed for you and your kitty. My vet usually does surgeries in the AM before she has office hours.

71. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You could just call the office and see if he is in surgery or when it is scheduled. I always like to have an update even if it is not the news I hope for. Continuing to think about and hope for Buddy this morning.

72. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy, had surgery this morning, everything went well. I have to leave will post results when I come back, really big surgery.

73. Kris & Teasel

Looking forward to learning more.

74. Teresa & Buddy

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you as soon as I found out what happened with the surgery I had to leave to take my Mother a few places. Buddy was operated on this morning, the doctor said it was inflamed in and around the pancreas, he said he took out I thought he said L but maybe it was the tail of the pancreas, the inflammed area, damaged fat tissue and the spleen. This afternoon, I needed to take my Mother some place so I called him. But I had to leave right away. Thank you, for asking about Buddy.

75. Kris & Teasel

Sounds complicated. How long will Buddy be at the clinic? What nursing care will he need when he comes home?

76. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy was operated on this morning the doctor said he removed I thought he said L but maybe it was tail of the pancreas, inflamed tissue around the pancreas, damaged fat tissue and the spleen. I did not know that this would be this big of a surgery. He said Buddy was sitting up about 1 hr after surgery, he had not ate today but he had IV going. My poor Buddy.

77. Kris & Teasel

Would "L" be referring to "lymph nodes"?

78. Teresa & Buddy

He said he might get to come home tomorrow, most animal hospitals try to get most of their patients out by Saturday so they don't have to come back and take care of him. I don't know what care he will need, if he wants Buddy to not be up and around I have a cage I can put him in. Hope things continue to do well.

79. Teresa & Buddy

No he was talking about the pancreas, I know the pancreas has a tail but I have never heard of the L of the pancreas

80. Kris & Teasel

The only thing with an L on a feline pancreas diagram I Googled was the "lobe", the bulkier part.

81. Teresa & Buddy

I will ask the doctor because I am not sure.

82. Kris & Teasel

So do I Teresa. Will the vet explain what exactly was the problem and what you'll have to do going forward with his diabetes treatment, etc.?

83. Teresa & Buddy

I hope so.

84. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So grateful to hear the surgery went well! He probably felt kind of icky due to surgery so he wasn't hungry. Are they giving painkillers? Any news on when he comes home?

85. Teresa & Buddy

I am not for sure when he will get to come home, I called and the doctor was already seeing patients before 8.m.. I asked for him to call me back, they said he was seeing patients till 12:00 and right after that he was going into surgery.
    Guess it will be later on before I find out any thing. I have a lot of questions to ask him. They did say Buddy ate a little over night and had ate this morning. I am so happy he is eating. I keep wondering about the pain meds but I forgot to ask. When he called me yesterday I was taken by surprise, I had no idea that he would get into that big of a surgery. Just hope all is well that ends well.

86. Teresa & Buddy

Today is Saturday I called the vet's today @8:00 a.m. doctor was already seeing patients, vet tech said Buddy was doing fine, he had ate some overnight and was eating this morning. I called back @ noon talked to 1 of the receptionist she said Buddy was doing fine, I asked her if she had seen him today, she said yes he was sitting in his cage and that he still was hooked up to IV s. I had her to ask doc if Buddy could go home today, he said no Buddy was staying the weekend. I did not get to talk to the doctor after appointments he was going to surgery. I miss my kitty.

87. Kris & Teasel

Do they have 24 hour monitoring there on the weekend? I know you miss him but I think it's better for him to be where he can be monitored after such a major surgery.

88. Kris & Teasel

How is Buddy doing, Teresa?

89. Teresa & Buddy

I don't know, Dr.Lisa (the 1 who gave him 5 units of insulin) said that somebody was in and out of there all the time. I do know he is still on IVs. I thought about asking if I could see him, but I was afraid of upsetting both of us. Mother who lives with me always says Buddy is a Mommy's Boy.
    I don't know for sure, I have not talked to the doctor since Friday. I have talked to a vet tech taking care of him, a receptionist (who said she had seen him that day) they both said he was doing good. Tomorrow I am going to call early and ask him to call me. They always say Buddy is happy being there and he does not act like the other cats in cages around him.

90. Kris & Teasel

How is Buddy today?

91. Teresa & Buddy

92. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    Metacam is an antiinflammatory that can be a problem for kitties but I don't know what the exact issue is. Cerenia is used in cats for nausea generally. Buprenorphen is a narcotic pain killer that I've used for Teasel when he had pain from cystitis. It's mentioned frequently on here as being a good pain killer. @Lisa and Smoky use it.

I'm glad Buddy is home! How is he feeling? Any info about what the vet found?

93. Kris & Teasel

94. Teresa & Buddy

I have looked it up, but I guess my question is, the box says for dogs, is it safe to give a cat a dose from this box. I have here cerenia & buprenex but neither of these were prescribed by the doctor who operated on him. I don't want to cause any more problems.

95. Teresa & Buddy

If I thought I could use buprenex with insulin I would give him some of that medicine. I which the doctor would have said it is off label for cats to use but it is done all the time, which maybe it isn't. The 1st time Bud got cerenia the doctor told me this off label for cats, but it's done all the time.

96. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it is used for cats. The articles I saw said that it's riskier for cats if injected. You have oral medication. It's probably only for short term use, right? If so, you're probably OK to use it post surgery for a little while. He needs pain relief to get him feeling better, eating, etc.

97. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

My vet wouldn't give me Metacam because she says that she's used it for cats before but it CAN cause liver failure and knowing my luck (yeah, she actually said that...it's sad that even my vet knows that my luck with cats is so bad that it would happen). I know some have used it on here before, but I'd be wary. Not to disagree with Kris...some have used it quite successfully. As I said, my old vet did use it for cats, but I opted to never use it on any of mine because well...we do have awfully bad luck. :)

98. Teresa & Buddy

I did give Buddy a dose of Metacam this morning, the doctor did tell me to only use for a couple of days no more. He said Buddy had some yesterday morning, so I think he had been giving it to him. I have stronger pain meds here. All doctor are afraid of pain meds because they are afraid of getting in trouble. Have not had a chance to post, besides Buddy being under the weather 1 of my other cats is sick. I walked in the door with Buddy and my Mother said Red needs to see a doctor, she is coughing, sneezing and wheezing. I did not take my coat off, got on the phone and called the vet to see if he would see her. I took Buddy out of the carrier and put Red in. She got meds, believe she is feeling better.

99. Teresa & Buddy

I saw some articles that said it could be used on cats, but I waited and called today, they said it could be used for cats. Yesterday the doctor told me to give no more than a couple of days. This is oral medicine. I gave Buddy 1 dose this morning and the doctor had given him 1 dose yesterday.

100. Kris & Teasel

Poor you! Is Buddy eating and moving around? Has he had his insulin? Just checked and I see that has. Did the vet prescribe 3 u of insulin? If he has a lot of pink and red going forward that dose might be too high. One thing at a time ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.