Buddy's SS up and going 2nd part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Buddy is eating better today than yesterday, he is walking around even jumping on the furniture. I can tell he was not comfortable yesterday because he would lay down for a few minutes, then get up and move somewhere else. Since I gave him the Metcam he seems to be comfortable, not moving around like yesterday. I gave him the amounts of insulin yesterday and today that I did, because the doctor said he had noticed with Buddy the last hours before Buddy needed insulin his numbers would get high. He wanted me to keep him on 2-3 units. He has been eating prescription food at the vets so I will need to get him changed back to FF classic. When I get his food changed that will change his units.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's improving. Pain control is needed at first to get him off to a good start. Positive signs. :)

3. Teresa & Buddy

I am still afraid of the metacam, I have onsior for cats which is just about the same thing but I don't want to mix meds. Some stupid people have made it so when you need pain meds you can not get them.

4. Kris & Teasel

How many days exactly did the vet say Buddy should be on Metacam? If it's only a few I'd stick with it. An antiinflammatory like Metacam might be a better choice post surgery than a narcotic like buprenorphen.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Pati

Pati Member

I am familiar with Meloxicam use in dogs. I googled out of curiosity Meloxicam+cats and it is used for inflammation and pain in cats (as well as dogs and humans). The warning is 2 to 4 days max (depending on the source), use the lowest effective dose, and for as short a time as possible.
    And for the "fun" fact of the day, we have used Meloxicam (name brand Metacam) periodically for dogs. The liquid veterinary product runs $100+. Meloxicam 30 tablets is on the Walmart $4 list. Our size dogs would require 1/4 a tablet so that equals 120 doses for that $4.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah I wouldn't use Onsior and Metacam. Just one should work.

7. Teresa & Buddy

8. Teresa & Buddy

The doctor told me not to use the medicine any longer than 2 days, and I will not use any longer.

9. Teresa & Buddy

10. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck has been on metacam a few times in the past. So has Kitty. It is usually a very small liquid oral dose and he was never on it for more than 3 days and only 1 dose a day. He did just fine on it and it helped both of them a lot. I hope he's feeling better and back to normal quick!

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How's Buddy feeling today?

12. Teresa & Buddy

He is acting more like his self. Overnight he had some of his toys out.

13. Teresa & Buddy

When I took a reading on Bud this morning his #were 231, and he had some high numbers yesterday. I have been giving 3u, I was thinking of going to 3.25, does anyone have any ideas on this.

14. Teresa & Buddy

He is feeling better today, so I don't know whether to give him the metcam today. He is to have 2 doses of the liquid @8 mark, no longer than 2 days. Good to know someone else used this and things worked out fine.

15. Teresa & Buddy

He is acting more like his self today, he had some of his toys out overnight.

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Teresa & Buddy

Isn't it awful the cost of drugs, I have run into the same situation before.

17. Kris & Teasel

I'd stick with 3 u again this AM Teresa. The AM number isn't that high. I suggest you test at +3 to see if he's going to drop sooner and by more than you expect. I'm very glad he's feeling better. Was yesterday the last day for pain meds?

18. Kris & Teasel

If this is Day 2 maybe give him the AM dose and hold off on the PM dose? Is he eating well and moving around? You want that to continue.

19. Teresa & Buddy

I don't know why I have to go all the out of this forum to receive messages. I did not receive your messages, so I went ahead with the 3.25. I received your message by going into my yahoo mail, not by FDMB. Does anyone else have this problem. I gave him a dose this morning of the pain meds, but I do not know about tonight.

20. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

The message alerts don't always work - if you're referring to that little red icon that should show up in the upper right corner of the page. I just come to the forum and look for posts that I haven't seen.

Re dose: start testing at +2 instead of +3. If there's going to be more action than you'd like, it sometimes shows an early drop. Is he eating well? You might have to give him small snacks periodically if he's going too low. Do you have some gravy type wet food on hand? No cause for alarm - just want to know if you're prepared.

Re pain meds: good idea to dose him this morning. If he's feeling comfortable he'll be more likely to eat snacks if they're needed to control his BG.

Sound like a plan?

21. Kris & Teasel

Also: would you please start a new thread? This one is long and I'd like to be able to get to your most recent posts ASAP. :)

22. Teresa & Buddy

Sounds like a plan and yes he is eating well.

23. Teresa & Buddy

I will start a new thread. What I was speaking of was not the alerts but the actual posts.

24. Kris & Teasel

That strange. You can go into the "Suggestions, Tech Support and Testing Area" to ask about the problem. It's second from the top on the main page where all the forums are listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.