Buddy's SS up and going 6th part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I love your way of thinking.

2. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel, I have checked Buddy 1 time he is @250 and he has not ate. I will be gone in the afternoon, so I must be extra careful with the dose. I think that I was expecting the syringes to be bigger so there would be more space between lines. I get it about the 2.5 times, I did not realize that you would be counting each little line. I don't know hat I expected just that I must be careful.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

On March 2 you gave 2.25 u on a 244 so you could try that dose this AM.

4. Kris & Teasel

Maybe give 2 u? Is he often a slow eater in the AM? By afternoon you should know what the dose will do. If 2 u feels too high for your comfort level, try 1.75 u. I'd wait on using the new syringes until you've practiced a bit - see below.

Here's something to do to get used to those syringes: mix up a little water and food colouring and practice drawing up different doses until you feel more confident. Some people buy a cheap pair of drugstore reading glasses in a higher magnification than they need to wear when measuring doses.

5. Teresa & Buddy

I am afraid of 2u since I will be gone, but I will do 1.75. Thanks for the tips on the new syringes.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy is @273 this morning, I believe that we must be getting a little better control of his diabetes. I am going to give him 2.25u and see how he does. I see that Kris is already helping someone. I don't know what I would have done without her. Really I still depend on her help.

7. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    Thank you for the kind words. :) I like the 2.25 u dose for today. I think you can get an idea of how it's working with just a couple of tests between +3 and +8 - easier on Buddy's ears.

Rachel likes this.
  8. Teresa & Buddy

You are welcome. But that is the truth.

9. Teresa & Buddy

I did not get to test Buddy at +8, I was not thinking and let him eat. I have been thinking about the Prozinc 2.4U that would be 6.0, the line just below the big 5. I just realized that these little bitty syringes have 1/2 u marks also.

10. Kris & Teasel

Yes, the half unit marks are important. Make sure you've had a good look at the U100s before you use them.

11. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    I like that the PSs are lower. That run of yellows could be a sign that he's ready to give you nicer numbers. An experienced person on another forum said that and I paid attention. Stick with the 2.25 u today and aim for a couple of mid cycle tests. Has Buddy been feeling well?

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  12. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy threw up this morning, nothing major. I did give him something for nausea and a fur ball pill. He has been eating some, but he seems to be staying away from the canned (Friskies Flaked Tuna With Egg) and eating more YA. When things are going better I would like to give him 2.4 at AMPS and maybe a little lower dose at PMPS. I will watch the yellows. Buddy thinks every time that I test him that means he gets to eat. Naturally he wants to eat, then go to the litter box, and then come back & eat some more. After all this a lot of time has passed and of course wait 2 hours to test.

13. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    If he's eating well and you're at home to monitor you might consider increasing his dose tomorrow AM. If you've figured out the U100 syringes you could try 2.4 u.

14. Teresa & Buddy

He is eating. but not as much usual. I will be home tomorrow most of the time, might run out to pickup a few things. I have not looked any more at the U100 syringes, but I am pretty sure I know that I would want to go to the next line after 5 for 2.4 u. I had been thinking about trying to give him 2.4u. This afternoon I took a reading @2:00 p.m. and it was 209 and @7:30 p.m. he was at401. This must have been a bounce, maybe I should wait to see if this is going to continue to bounce before I change his dose.

15. Teresa & Buddy

When I was giving Buddy his shot, he moved and it pushed the needle some how and some of it squirted out on me. Now I don't know how much insulin he got.

16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to re-shoot since you are not sure how much actually got in him. Just treat it as a fur shot and we'll see what his numbers look like tonight :). Let's see if our mentor's agree! Looks like he did something similar on 11 March.

17. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Teresa - we call that a "fur shot" and it happens to all of us sometimes. The rule is that you don't try to re-shoot since there's no way of knowing how much he got already, and you could end up giving him too much. It means he'll likely be high tonight, but you just start again tomorrow.

18. Djamila

Ooops....I didn't see Yong had already responded! Sorry for the double post!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  19. Teresa & Buddy

On March 11, that was a bounce. But I guess this is a fur shot on another bounce. His reading was 401.

20. Teresa & Buddy

He was bouncing, his #401. I hate to see what his number will be in the morning.

21. Teresa & Buddy

Hey, I need all the help I can get.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well darn! It happens, though. We've ALL been there (and some of us have tested, fed, drawn up the shot...and then gone to work leaving the syringe on the counter! Not naming any names...:facepalm:). No worries....you'll get him back.

23. Teresa & Buddy

Rachel, what worries me is his #401. In the morning will I give him the dose he would have got if this had not happened. I got Bud some FortiFlora, it helps, but it is expensive.

24. Yong & Maury GA

You could try a tiny sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

25. Teresa & Buddy

Have you tried this, sounds like it might work.

26. Yong & Maury GA

I have used it for my dog and a friend's dog. It is ok for cats though too. :) Just don't over use it because he will catch on ;)

27. Teresa & Buddy

Does anyone know if I need to wait the full 12 hrs. before I give Buddy his am shot.

28. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

Don't worry about the fur shot. We've all had them and the rule is to not give another one because you don't know if any insulin went in or not. Yes, you can give his AM shot earlier.

29. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, how should I dose him and how much earlier can I give him his am shot.

30. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you give the increased dose of 2.4 u. That up to the 6.0 mark on the U100 syringe. It's wise to have the conversion chart beside you when you're using those syringes. I think you could give him his dose an hour earlier and not mess up the schedule much.

31. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, I really appreciate your reply. Buddy was bouncing tonight, his PMPS was #401 and if that wasn't bad enough we ended up with a fur shot. I had no idea what dose to give him, thankfully you answered my post.

32. Kris & Teasel

No problem, Teresa. The fur shot is just one shot. You'll have him back on track in no time.

33. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy made it through the night. First night in a long time that I haven't got up to test, sometimes testing twice.

34. Kris & Teasel

I knew he would. Nice for you too. ;) Any trouble reading the 2.4 u on the U100 syringe?

35. Djamila

That is the nice thing about fur shots - a better night's sleep. I hope you had a good rest!

36. Teresa & Buddy

It was nice not to wake up to the clock in the middle of the night, but I did wake up early wondering about his BS. No problem so far with the U100 syringe, hopefully the 2.4u works out good for Buddy.

37. Teresa & Buddy

I did have a good rest, but I woke up early wondering about his BS. How is your fur baby today.

38. Kris & Teasel

He's OK. A bit bouncy from low numbers a couple of days ago. Par for the course for him.

39. Teresa & Buddy

I could be wrong but I think Buddy is also bouncing. PMPS was 415.

40. Kris & Teasel

I agree. That red is a bounce from the nice blue.

41. Yong & Maury GA

*Party rock anthem* All the kitties gonna bounce tonight! :p

Djamila likes this.
  42. Kris & Teasel

I saw your note about your wet hand. Did it smell like insulin (strong Band-Aid like smell)? Nice yellow PS though.

43. Teresa & Buddy

I did not notice a smell, if this happens again I will know what to look out for. I washed my hands about a million times getting ready for his shot, it could be possible that I did not get my hands all the way dry.

44. Teresa & Buddy

That would go over big, because we have a lot of bouncers.

45. Teresa & Buddy

I do not know what is going on with Buddy's numbes. Today at +2 he was @232, at +6 he was @325. I expected at +6 his numbers to be going down not up.

46. Yong & Maury GA

Could he have hit nadir a little earlier today? Or snuck some contraband? Maybe still a little bouncing?

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Could just be a weird cycle...squirrel syndrome or something. Just one number, one cycle. I wouldn't worry until it becomes a pattern.

48. Teresa & Buddy

I think Buddy would like to go to a bouncing party.

49. Teresa & Buddy

I wanted to let you know that I got FloriFlora for Buddy. When he is not eating his canned food, I sprinkle some FortiFora on top and he will start eating.

50. Djamila

Teresa, I'm so glad to hear that's working for him!

Hopefully tomorrow he'll have a better cycle. Hang in there!

51. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel, I don't know what the @ sign means on FDMB, except for I know someone did it to get some body's attention. I have not heard from you for a while. Is everything alright. Buddy so far has not made any big changes. Would like your opinion on what needs to be done next. I know you are busy with Lantus these days, I did not want to bother you.

52. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

You use the @ in front of someone's screen name when you want to tag them - ie., they get an alert in the upper right corner of this screen that someone is trying to contact them.

I'm fine - thanks for asking. Just spending less time at my desk in front of the computer because it bothers my back. I check Buddy's SS regularly. Just did so now. I suggest you give 2.4 u tonight and go to 2.6 u tomorrow AM, numbers permitting. How is Buddy feeling?

53. Teresa & Buddy

He seems to be doing alright, at this time. I was looking at his SS and I noticed at 2.50U that he had several greens and was surprised that he did not have any at 2.4 U. Maybe doses change from time to time. Having back problems is a bad thing. Buddy and I hope your back starts feeling better soon. When ever you see something on Buddy's SS that needs attention or needs to be changed let me know. I respect your guidance. In the morning AM numbers permitting I will give 2.6u. How is Teasel doing on Lantus and several days past his dive.

54. Kris & Teasel

Yes, the dose needs do change over time, Teresa. That's something that takes all of us time to learn and become resigned to. Testing is the tool for coping with it. ;)

Teasel is being his bouncy self on Lantus and it could be frustrating if I let it. He has many more blues and some green occasionally so I'm happy with that. Overall he feels better too. Thanks for asking. :)

55. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

Don't worry - the red this AM is just a bounce. I like the blue from last night. Just the drop down might have triggered the bounce you see this morning. Keep doing what you're doing.

I suggest you start another new thread. This one is very long. A new one at least once a week is a good idea.

56. Teresa & Buddy

I will start a new thread. Thank you for your knowledge. I believe that Buddy thinks when I take a reading he is supposed to eat. As soon as I finish taking a reading, Buddy will go to his food bowl and start crying and most of the time I do give him something to eat. He is now back to eating FF classic and YA, I think they both are low in carbs

57. Kris & Teasel

If he associates the pokes with a food reward, so much the better, Teresa!. :)

58. Teresa & Buddy

I thought that might be the reason why his numbers are not moving much. I hope that is not the reason because when he starts crying, I cannot turn him down.

59. Kris & Teasel

If his food is low carb it should be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.